Review: could Topiramate cause Hair loss?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 11, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.6/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 7,810 people who take Topiramate. Among them, 113 have Hair loss. See who they are, when they have Hair loss and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Topiramate (latest outcomes from 8,301 users) has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine, epilepsy. Commonly reported side effects of Topiramate include convulsion, headache, fatigue, drowsiness, nausea.
Hair loss (latest reports from 223,831 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.
On Feb, 16, 2014: 7,197 people reported to have side effects when taking Topiramate. Among them, 107 people (1.49%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Topiramate when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||7.69%||38.46%||15.38%||15.38%||11.54%||7.69%||3.85% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Topiramate * :
|Hair loss||88.55%||11.45% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Topiramate * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||8.47%||22.03%||5.93%||19.49%||22.03%||18.64%||3.39% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Topiramate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||50.00%||37.50%||12.50% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Migraine (27 people, 25.23%)
- Convulsion (19 people, 17.76%)
- Epilepsy (17 people, 15.89%)
- Depression (13 people, 12.15%)
- Adrenocortical insufficiency acute (10 people, 9.35%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Cortril (10 people, 9.35%)
- Tegretol (10 people, 9.35%)
- Valproate sodium (9 people, 8.41%)
- Clobazam (8 people, 7.48%)
- Levetiracetam (8 people, 7.48%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Topiramate, Hair loss
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Topiramate (topiramate) is often used for migraine. Find out below the conditions Topiramate is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Topiramate used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Topiramate side effects from A to Z:
Browse Topiramate drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (1 month ago):
Symptoms getting old... Laxatives don't even work anymore, which is scary. I have no health insurance, self-pay for meds thru psychiatrist and have not had a medical physical in around 3-4 yrs. Have 7 yrs clean and sober, but wonder if previous alcoholism and long-term suboxone use have caused possible diabetes? I'm sick of peeing all night long, and always have to pee 30 min after I take sublingually, then again after another @45 minutes. Crazy. My hands look like lizards from being all dried out. Also, worried about the e-liquid I started 6-8 months ago being a diuretic? Symptoms became drastically worse after; however, I can at least BREATHE smoking it and don't want to stop!
From this study (5 months ago):
Have constant pain in knees, feet, toes, hands, arms, neck and back. Cannot sleep because I wake up constantly with shooting pain in neck, feet, knees, including tingles and numbness. Left side is worse; includes some drooling and paralysis at times. History of colitis and recent IPIN neiplasms found in pancreas head, neck and tail with dilated bile ducts as well as dilated pancreatic ducts and swelling of gallbladder. Constant nausea, off/on vomiting, major pain in neck and back, as well as abdomen which has included constant pain in upper right and left rib cage area. Knee pain has increased dramatically, especially while sleeping (??). Migraine history severe; hospitalized many times and is constant. Hx of anemias, malnutrition, malabsorption, fecal incontinence, low mono#, low eosinophil, high Granulocyte and Gran %, low Vit C, Low Vit B6, Low Lymphycites, High Baso%, High Baso#, Low WBC, Low Transferrin, High Cardio CRP, Positive ANA, High GGT, abnormal fecal fat, hypoalbuminemia, low calcium (always), low anion gap, low protein...many labs always abnormal, could go on...always fatigued and in pain.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Topiramate, Hair loss
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Hair loss, no elevated mood or depression, nausea, tiredness
Due to hair loss I switched over to Morphine. The hair loss goes on. While taking Tramadol for 5 month I've already lost 2/3 of my long and thick hair. In about 3 month I'll be bold - as a woman.
Tramadol elevated my mood. Morphine doesn't. It might even depress me - who knows? Taking 60mg at onc ...
- Topamax for weight loss, causing diarrhea
I was taking Topamax for weight loss and it worked very well. After 2 months I started having diarrhea. I stopped Topamax and the diarrhea stopped. Is there any drug or supplement I can take Topamax that will stop the diarrhea?
- Topomax & memory loss
I was on Topomax for approximately 12-13 years (for seizures) and have suffered severe memory loss as a result. I'd like to share some examples of my memory loss in case it can help someone else. Before I went off the drug, I had to listen to other peoples conversations to know who I was talking to. ...
More reviews for: Topiramate, Hair loss
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Vapor, Nicotine, Clonidine, Pristiq, Topiramate, Suboxone for a patient with Smoking And Smokeless Tobacco, Withdrawal Syndrome, Chronic Depression, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Drug Addiction. The patient has Nail Growth Abnormal, Loss Of Hair (Hair loss), Headache, Liver Tenderness, Abdominal Pain, Skin - Dry (Dry skin), Dry Eyes Aggravated, Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Constipation Aggravated, Osmotic Diuresis
- A study of drug interactions between Phenergan, Zofran, Dilaudid, Zomig, Zanaflex, Metoprolol Tartrate, Topamax, Buspirone Hydrochloride, Fentanyl, Armour Thyroid for a patient with Nausea And Vomiting, Pain Management, Complicated Migraine, Muscle Spasms, Hypertension, Migraine Prophylaxis, Stress And Anxiety, Hashimoto's Disease. The patient has Hair Loss, Anemia - B12 Deficiency, Anemia - Hemolytic (Hemolytic anemia), Rash Macular, Weight Decreased, Abdominal Distension, Fecal Incontinence (Bowel incontinence), Bile Duct Pressure Increased, Muscle Aches, Muscle Twitching, Numbness And Tingling, Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Tachycardia Irregular, Fatigue, Nausea And Vomiting, Abdominal Neoplasm, Bone And Joint Pain (Joint pain), Pain Exacerbated, Migraine
- A study of side effects of Topiramate for a patient with Bipolar I Disorder. The patient has Hair Loss
More related studies for: Topiramate, Hair loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.