Review: could Toprol-xl cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Toprol-xl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Coumadin, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 39,639 people who have side effects while taking Toprol-xl from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,541 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Toprol-xl and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Toprol-xl has active ingredients of metoprolol succinate. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 40,750 Toprol-xl users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,299 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 39,634 people reported to have side effects when taking Toprol-xl. Among them, 1,541 people (3.89%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Toprol-xl when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||30.43%||13.04%||4.35%||0.00%||21.74%||26.09%||4.35% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Toprol-xl * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.00%||0.14%||0.88%||0.54%||5.22%||16.01%||77.20% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Toprol-xl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||33.33%||66.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (205 people, 13.30%)
- Hypertension (117 people, 7.59%)
- Pain (75 people, 4.87%)
- Multiple myeloma (61 people, 3.96%)
- Osteoporosis (57 people, 3.70%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Coumadin (619 people, 40.17%)
- Aspirin (586 people, 38.03%)
- Lasix (523 people, 33.94%)
- Digoxin (514 people, 33.35%)
- Lipitor (368 people, 23.88%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
scottjking (3 years ago):
Im a 40 year old male, fairly active. I take Toporol Xl 50mg 2x a day. When taking toporol on a empty stomach it throws my heart into afib. Also sweating and frequent urination follow. Went to the ER with this issue and the Cardio said their was no way toporol could cause this. Ive donethis 9 times now and same thing happens every time. Even if i eat then right after i take my meds this happens. Its real severe and feels like its doing damage to my heart.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Toprol-xl?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Toprol-xl and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Toprol-xl
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Cialis, Prilosec, Toprol-xl, Tambocor, Allegra, Lotensin for a 70-year old man with Erectile Dysfunction, Gerd, Hypertensive Cardiomegaly, Hypertension, Allergic Cough. The patient has Leukocytosis, Anemia
- A study of side effects of Metoprolol Succinate for a 77-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Creatinine - Urine
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Anturol, Tramadol, Hydroxyzine, Wellbutrin, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Succinate, Levoxyl, Trileptal, Topiramate for a 44-year old woman with Panic Attacks, Overactive Bladder, Tension Headaches, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Adhd, Gerd, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Leg And Arm Numbness (upper Arms), Exhaustion
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Losartan Potassium, Metoprolol Succinate, Furosemide, Prednisone, Neoral for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Duretic, Anti Rejection, Suppress Immune System.
- A study of side effects of Toprol-xl for a 49-year old man with High Blood Pressure.
Recent Toprol-xl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.