Review: could Tramadol cause Weight gain?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 6, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.9/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 5,361 people who take Tramadol. Among them, 85 have Weight gain. See who they are, when they have Weight gain and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Tramadol hydrochloride (latest outcomes from 6,856 users) has active ingredients of tramadol hydrochloride. It is often used in pain, acupuncture and pain. Commonly reported side effects of Tramadol hydrochloride include nausea aggravated, nausea, fatigue, weakness, acupuncture and pain.
Weight gain (latest reports from 510,913 patients) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, acupuncture and pain.
On Feb, 25, 2014: 4,558 people reported to have side effects when taking Tramadol hydrochloride. Among them, 65 people (1.43%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Tramadol hydrochloride when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||25.00%||37.50%||12.50%||25.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Tramadol hydrochloride * :
|Weight gain||75.00%||25.00% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Tramadol hydrochloride * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.51%||22.81%||35.09%||17.54%||21.05% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Tramadol hydrochloride ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||0.00%||22.22%||66.67%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (15 people, 23.08%)
- Fibromyalgia (12 people, 18.46%)
- Pain (7 people, 10.77%)
- Anxiety (6 people, 9.23%)
- Back pain (6 people, 9.23%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lyrica (26 people, 40.00%)
- Omeprazole (11 people, 16.92%)
- Diclofenac sodium (8 people, 12.31%)
- Ambien (8 people, 12.31%)
- Lorazepam (8 people, 12.31%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Tramadol hydrochloride, Weight gain
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Tramadol Hydrochloride (tramadol hydrochloride) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Tramadol Hydrochloride is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Tramadol Hydrochloride used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Tramadol hydrochloride side effects from A to Z:
Browse Tramadol hydrochloride drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 months ago):
I started losing my hair more when I started taking the tramadol for pain. I have lost quite a bit of hair since then and started balding on the top of my head. I don't know if it is hormonal or from all the medication I am on because I know that can cause hair loss also. My hair is also limp and lifeless and I have gained about 15 pounds since being on the tramadol. It is the only medication that helps with my pain and chronic anxiety caused by the Cymbalta so I don't know what else to do.
From this study (6 months ago):
due to the above drugs mentioned along with associated symptoms . it is noted the at I have a pineal brain cyst 6mm in size. not advancing. the guess that I was born with it. however, after talking to the skull base organization action out in Los Angeles.
a major car accident in June 14th was reported as 'unknown cause possible seizure. I'm ask in more in depth testing
From this study (11 months ago):
There are bound to be more, but I can't think of everything! I honestly wish this would all just go away.
doc moc on Apr, 25, 2013:
I think if you just pushed as hard as you could some poops would fall out. If not try drinking 2 litre of milk followed by 500g prune bits. This will sofly relax your poops so they can fall out easily and unselfconsciously.
doc moc on Apr, 25, 2013:
see if you can taste poop? its strong so tastebud receptors should fire and cause neural activty if not try celery
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- After being on zoloft (sertraline) for 19 years, i now notice multiple side effects and i want to get off
I have been on Zoloft (sertraline) for 19 years for chronic depression. When I first started taking Zoloft, it made a huge positive impact on my life. It was a miracle drug for me. I believe it saved my life.
Ten or so years ago it suddenly stopped working. My doctor had me try several other S ...
- Puedo tomar provigil si tengo diabetes
no se puede mover por la debilidad tan grande que tiene, tiene dolores todo el tiempo, se le duerme los pies al grado que no los siente la mayor parte del tiempo, cualquier cosa que hace se cansa casi de inmediato, toma TRAMADOL,METFORMINA, GAVAPANTINA, ASPIRINA PROTEC, no puede subir las escaleras ...
- What medication is allowed after a splenectomy, what is not allowed?
What Food and drinks are also NOT allowed to have when having NO Spleen
More questions for: Tramadol hydrochloride, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Stopping pristiq for my memory
I have been on Pristiq for 3 years. My short term memory loss is a great concern to me. I am 45 and I have questioned my doctor and given my concerns to the point she referred me to a neurologist but said it was not the Pristiq. There is no other drugs I am taking or have taken to cause this proble ...
- Horrific nightmares taking naproxen
I've Taking naproxen 500mg twice a day for 3 weeks on a course for 6 months, I've been having horrific dreams worse than horrer movies, the most recent is involving my ex & current partner where I had a psychotic stalker (my ex) switched around because in the dream I dump my partner for my ex, well ...
- Burning mouth syndrome
I went into a local emergency room for a sore throat with pustules and difficulty swallowing, i was given Tramadol for pain through my iv. About 2 days later i woke up with a very blistery tongue, which was mildly painful as the day progressed i felt like i had been eating habanero peppers all day.. ...
More reviews for: Tramadol hydrochloride, Weight gain
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Testosterone, Progesterone, Estrogenic Substance, Ibuprofen, Natural DHEA, Hydrocortisone, Armour Thyroid, Clonidine, Cymbalta, Tramadol, Tegretol-xr for a patient with Hypopituitarism, Fibromyalgia, Bipolar 2. The patient has Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety Aggravated (Stress and anxiety), Increased Appetite (Appetite - increased), Mood Swings, Weight Gain - Unintentional (Weight increased), Loss Of Hair (Hair loss)
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Ambien, Levothyroxine Sodium, Furosemide, Xarelto, Meloxicam, Lyrica, Tramadol, Seroquel, Pristiq, Lamictal, Lorazepam, Vyvanse for a patient with Deficiency Anaemia Nos, Insomnia, Thyroiditis Chronic, Urinary Hesitation, Pulmonary Embolism, Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Polyarthralgia, Bipolar 2, Unipolar Depression, Seizure - Temporal Lobe, Panic Attack, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The patient has Ptsd (Post-traumatic stress disorder), Borderline Personality Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder (Somatoform pain disorder), Body Temperature Fluctuation, Fever, Developmental Coordination Disorder Nos, Insomnia Exacerbated, Short-term Memory Loss (Memory loss), Panic Disorder, Anxiety Disorder (Generalized anxiety disorder), Weight Increased, Confusion, Drug-induced Tremor, Fatigue Aggravated, Frequent Headaches (Headache)
- A study of drug interactions between Tramadol, Levothyroxine Sodium, Gabapentin, Sertraline, Ponstel, Colace, Zopiclone for a patient with Joint Hypermobility, Hypothyroidism, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Anxiety, Cramps - Menstrual, Constipation. The patient has Difficulty Urinating, Diminished Libido, Weight Gain (Weight increased), Sleeping Difficulty (Insomnia), Exhaustion (Fatigue), Headache, Depression, Grinding Teeth, Migraine With Aura, Temperature Fluxtuations, Constipation
More related studies for: Tramadol hydrochloride, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.