Review: could Tramadol cause Anxiety?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 5, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.6/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 35,666 people who take Tramadol. Among them, 1,501 have Anxiety. See who they are, when they have Anxiety and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Tramadol (latest outcomes from 41,165 users) has active ingredients of tramadol hydrochloride. It is often used in pain, acupuncture and pain. Commonly reported side effects of Tramadol include nausea aggravated, nausea, pain exacerbated, pain, pain relief by acupuncture.
Anxiety (latest reports from 1,279,452 patients) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, stress and anxiety, multiple sclerosis, pain.
On Mar, 9, 2014: 35,666 people reported to have side effects when taking Tramadol. Among them, 1,540 people (4.32%) have Anxiety. They amount to 0.12% of all the 1,279,452 people who have Anxiety.
Time on Tramadol when people have Anxiety * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Anxiety when taking Tramadol * :
Age of people who have Anxiety when taking Tramadol * :
Severity of Anxiety when taking Tramadol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Anxiety ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (280 people, 18.18%)
- Depression (231 people, 15.00%)
- Anxiety (184 people, 11.95%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (120 people, 7.79%)
- Hypertension (117 people, 7.60%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Tramadol hcl (1,165 people, 75.65%)
- Aspirin (339 people, 22.01%)
- Zometa (293 people, 19.03%)
- Lorazepam (256 people, 16.62%)
- Omeprazole (244 people, 15.84%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Tramadol, Anxiety
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Tramadol (tramadol hydrochloride) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Tramadol is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Tramadol used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Tramadol side effects from A to Z:
Browse Tramadol drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 months ago):
I started losing my hair more when I started taking the tramadol for pain. I have lost quite a bit of hair since then and started balding on the top of my head. I don't know if it is hormonal or from all the medication I am on because I know that can cause hair loss also. My hair is also limp and lifeless and I have gained about 15 pounds since being on the tramadol. It is the only medication that helps with my pain and chronic anxiety caused by the Cymbalta so I don't know what else to do.
From this study (1 year ago):
I have not had anxiety ever before. Now I have really bad anxiety and I don't know if it is because of the difficult family life I live in, perimenopause, or drug interactions. If you can help I would be grateful.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Puedo tomar provigil si tengo diabetes
no se puede mover por la debilidad tan grande que tiene, tiene dolores todo el tiempo, se le duerme los pies al grado que no los siente la mayor parte del tiempo, cualquier cosa que hace se cansa casi de inmediato, toma TRAMADOL,METFORMINA, GAVAPANTINA, ASPIRINA PROTEC, no puede subir las escaleras ...
- What medication is allowed after a splenectomy, what is not allowed?
What Food and drinks are also NOT allowed to have when having NO Spleen
- Has long term clonazepam use caused you seemingly irreversible psychosis, for which you were given an antipsychotic? if so, were you able to get off of the antipsychotic and clonazepam? how?
Started clonazepam around 2002. In 2007, I was hospitalized (I'm not sure what the doctors were thinking) and I was given an antipsychotic as well, and maybe another medication. My psychiatrist lowered and eliminated all my medication in 2011 and 2012, and each time was hospitalized and again given ...
More questions for: Tramadol, Anxiety
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Ocd / anxiety sufferer
I have the following 'fake' symptoms because of my OCD/anxiety:
- neck stiffness
- scalp pain
- memory problems
- Insomnia from warfarin sodium?
Knee replacement two months ago and taking coumadin (warfarin, 6 mg daily). Had problems sleeping at night I initially attributed to some discomfort with knee replacement. At rehab location for three weeks then came home. Hard time sleeping at night. Watch TV most of night. Some anxiety and would ...
- Horrific nightmares taking naproxen
I've Taking naproxen 500mg twice a day for 3 weeks on a course for 6 months, I've been having horrific dreams worse than horrer movies, the most recent is involving my ex & current partner where I had a psychotic stalker (my ex) switched around because in the dream I dump my partner for my ex, well ...
More reviews for: Tramadol, Anxiety
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Protonix, Tramadol, Alprazolam, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Prempro, Carafate, Celexa, Treximet, Promethegan, Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride for a patient with Heartburn - Chronic, Pain, Anxiety And Stress, Blood Pressure Increased, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone-producing Pituitary Tumour, Hormone Level Abnormal, Migraine, Nausea, Muscle Strain. The patient has Nausea, Pain Exacerbated, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety), Migraine, Hormone Level Abnormal, Low Thyroid (Hypothyroidism), Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure), Heartburn - Chronic (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- A study of drug interactions between Testosterone, Progesterone, Estrogenic Substance, Ibuprofen, Natural DHEA, Hydrocortisone, Armour Thyroid, Clonidine, Cymbalta, Tramadol, Tegretol-xr for a patient with Hypopituitarism, Fibromyalgia, Bipolar 2. The patient has Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety Aggravated (Stress and anxiety), Increased Appetite (Appetite - increased), Mood Swings, Weight Gain - Unintentional (Weight increased), Loss Of Hair (Hair loss)
- A study of drug interactions between Tramadol, Effexor for a patient with Pain Management, Depression. The patient has Anxiety (Stress and anxiety)
More related studies for: Tramadol, Anxiety
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.