Review: could Tramadol cause Serotonin syndrome?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 7, 2014)
Severity ratings: 3.0/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 35,666 people who take Tramadol. Among them, 549 have Serotonin syndrome. See who they are, when they have Serotonin syndrome and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Tramadol (latest outcomes from 41,165 users) has active ingredients of tramadol hydrochloride. It is often used in pain, pain relief by acupuncture. Commonly reported side effects of Tramadol include nausea aggravated, nausea, pain exacerbated, pain, pain relief by acupuncture.
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) (latest reports from 33,617 patients) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder.
On Mar, 7, 2014: 35,666 people reported to have side effects when taking Tramadol. Among them, 549 people (1.54%) have Serotonin Syndrome. They amount to 1.65% of all the 33,347 people who have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Tramadol when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||53.66%||10.57%||3.25%||3.25%||28.46%||0.81%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Tramadol * :
|Serotonin syndrome||73.46%||26.54% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Tramadol * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.19%||0.00%||0.75%||8.26%||24.58%||20.45%||16.89%||28.89% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Tramadol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||33.33%||33.33%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (183 people, 33.33%)
- Pain (97 people, 17.67%)
- Neck pain (50 people, 9.11%)
- Back pain (49 people, 8.93%)
- Psychotic disorder (41 people, 7.47%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Tramadol hcl (453 people, 82.51%)
- Mirtazapine (120 people, 21.86%)
- Diazepam (112 people, 20.40%)
- Tramadol hydrochloride (99 people, 18.03%)
- Paroxetine hcl (81 people, 14.75%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Tramadol, Serotonin syndrome
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Tramadol (tramadol hydrochloride) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Tramadol is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Tramadol used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Tramadol side effects from A to Z:
Browse Tramadol drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (12 months ago):
Dr. thinking I may have an issue with serotonin carcinoid/syndrome-bad reaction to prednisone therapy this time? stomach acid, then crazy flashing of skin/hive like? with and without sweating, agitation, rapid heart beat, high blood pressure-150/85, and running temp 101.5
just seen, took me off tramadol, (which I have taken for years), added hydroxyzine, and is having me do 5-HIAA. Question is what caused all this? Never had an issue before now with prednisone or tramadol?
Is it possible that the prednisone caused this?
From this study (2 years ago):
Have had several episodes of seratonin syndrome with mild to moderate symptoms. Reglan causes severe muscle spasms in the jaw.
From this study (2 years ago):
After finding that the Humira made me nauseous I started to use Medical Marijuana for the nausea. It seems to get rid of nausea for a couple of hours but still came back.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Puedo tomar provigil si tengo diabetes
no se puede mover por la debilidad tan grande que tiene, tiene dolores todo el tiempo, se le duerme los pies al grado que no los siente la mayor parte del tiempo, cualquier cosa que hace se cansa casi de inmediato, toma TRAMADOL,METFORMINA, GAVAPANTINA, ASPIRINA PROTEC, no puede subir las escaleras ...
- What medication is allowed after a splenectomy, what is not allowed?
What Food and drinks are also NOT allowed to have when having NO Spleen
- Will tramadol cause rapid heart beat?
I have been taking Tramadol for 1 1/2 years and within the past 6 weeks have developed an unexplained rapid heart beat. The heart monitor I wore for 24 hours indicated a premature heart but after a month the EKG was normal. I was taken off of Toprol and instructed to take magnesium (400) milligrams ...
More questions for: Tramadol, Serotonin syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Horrific nightmares taking naproxen
I've Taking naproxen 500mg twice a day for 3 weeks on a course for 6 months, I've been having horrific dreams worse than horrer movies, the most recent is involving my ex & current partner where I had a psychotic stalker (my ex) switched around because in the dream I dump my partner for my ex, well ...
- Burning mouth syndrome
I went into a local emergency room for a sore throat with pustules and difficulty swallowing, i was given Tramadol for pain through my iv. About 2 days later i woke up with a very blistery tongue, which was mildly painful as the day progressed i felt like i had been eating habanero peppers all day.. ...
- Nexium and feeling cold
I took Nexium (1 40mg capsule) and approximately 45 minutes later, I felt extremely cold. I could not get warm, even though I put on a polartec jacket and sat near a heater.
I also was extremely nauseated at the same time.
About 30 minutes after the incident began, it ended. I no longer was ...
More reviews for: Tramadol, Serotonin syndrome
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Humira, Tramadol, Prednisone, Vitamin B12, Prevacid for a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Anaemia Haemolytic Autoimmune, Reflux Gastritis. The patient has Serotonin Syndrome, Hot Flush, Chest X-ray, Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), Wheezing Aggravated, Cough Aggravated, Asthma
- A study of drug interactions between Synthroid, Januvia, Losartan, Ultram, Skelaxin, Mobic, Crestor, Potassium Chloride 10meq In Dextrose 5% And Sodium Chloride 0.45% In Plastic Container, Lexapro, Mirapex, Vitamin D, Detrol La, Evoxac, Imitrex, Zofran, Protonix, Reglan, Extra Strength Tylenol - 500mg for a patient with Thyroid Operation, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent, Hypertension, Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Hypokalemia, Chronic Depression, Restless Leg Syndrome, Hypocholesterolaemia, Urinary Incontinence, Dry Mouth, Migraine, Nausea, Gerd, Diabetic Gastroparesis, Pain Prophylaxis. The patient has Serotonin Syndrome, Muscle Spasms
- A study of drug interactions between Lialda, Prednisone, Lialda, Pristiq, Tramadol for a patient with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Crohn's Disease, Crohn's Disease, Depression, Abdominal Pain. The patient has Nausea
More related studies for: Tramadol, Serotonin syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.