Review: could Turmeric cause Loose bowel movements (Diarrhea)?
Summary: Loose bowel movements is found among people who take Turmeric, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Fish oil, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 142 people who have side effects while taking Turmeric from FDA and social media. Among them, 21 have Loose bowel movements. Find out below who they are, when they have Loose bowel movements and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Turmeric and have Loose bowel movements >>>
Turmeric has active ingredients of turmeric. It is often used in inflammation. (latest outcomes from Turmeric 175 users)
Loose bowel movements
Loose bowel movements (weak bowel movement) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, depression.(latest reports from Loose bowel movements 137,983 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 141 people reported to have side effects when taking Turmeric. Among them, 21 people (14.89%) have Loose Bowel Movements.
Time on Turmeric when people have Loose bowel movements * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Loose bowel movements||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Loose bowel movements when taking Turmeric * :
|Loose bowel movements||68.42%||31.58% |
Age of people who have Loose bowel movements when taking Turmeric * :
|Loose bowel movements||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||47.37%||52.63% |
Severity of Loose bowel movements when taking Turmeric ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Loose bowel movements||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Loose bowel movements ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Loose bowel movements||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (7 people, 33.33%)
- Malignant melanoma (5 people, 23.81%)
- Breast cancer (3 people, 14.29%)
- Multiple myeloma (1 people, 4.76%)
- Preventive health care (1 people, 4.76%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fish oil (13 people, 61.90%)
- Aspirin (10 people, 47.62%)
- Zometa (10 people, 47.62%)
- Vitamin d (9 people, 42.86%)
- Zoloft (9 people, 42.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Loose Bowel Movements while taking Turmeric?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Turmeric and have Loose Bowel Movements
- support group for people who take Turmeric
- support group for people who have Loose Bowel Movements
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is synthroid and milk thistle safe?
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Milk Thistle)
I was reviewing the case studies of Synthroid and Milk Thistle and I am not sure I am reading it correctly. I hope the information is incorrect regarding the studies with concurrent use of these drugs. I took one dose of Milk Thistle and it occurred to me that I probably should research to make sure it was safe to take with my Synthroid and hence I find this study. Confused and concerned...please respond. Thanks, Cheri RN
- Could this drug cause periodontal bone loss, bone loss around teeth (4 answers)
(Asked by a 64 year old man who has Periodontal Bone Loss, Bone Loss Around Teeth , and takes Guaifenesin, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, Turmeric, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine, Celexa, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Pentoxifylline, Garcinia Cambogia, Carbamazepine, Tamsulosin, Lisinopril, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Flunisolide)
Do you suffer from periodontal bone loss or periodontal disease, or bone loss around teeth after taking this drug? Are your sodium levels low after taking this drug? I am a dentist and keep my teeth plaque free, but have had periodontal bone loss for which, I believe, must be drug related.
- Is taking imodium a few days after taking aloe vera gel safe? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 16 year old girl who has Diarrhea, and takes Aloe Vera Gel)
I have diarrhea from taking aloe Vera gel and I really need to get rid of it, I bought the aloe Vera gel on about Monday of this week. I have been having diarrhea from this aloe Vera gel since a day after I took it. I was wondering if it was safe to take Imodium for my diarrhea four days after i drank the aloe Vera gel.
- I want to try a turmeric tonic for abscesses caused by staph. i am on bactrim ds and an concerned of the interactions. does anyone have advice or other remedies i could try? (2 answers)
(Asked by a 31 year old woman who has Infection - Skin - Staph, and takes Bactrim Ds, Turmeric)
I have 5 pretty bad abscesses from the staph infection. 3 of them finally started to drain but two are big and painful with no head. I have tried warm compresses, cannabis oil, alcohol wipes, and an Apple Cider Vinegar/baking soda paste. If I don't get them to drain I'll have to have them lanced this week. I read about a turmeric tonic that cured someone's staph, but I don't know the severity of her infection or if she was on antibiotics at the time.
- Can someone on warfarin take imodium?
(Asked by a 77 year old woman who has Diarrhea, and takes Coumadin)
I have diarrhea and would like to know if imodium interferes with coumadin which I take every day.? Thank you
More questions for: Turmeric, Loose bowel movements
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Turmeric and atrial fabrillation
(Posted by a 69 year old man who has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, and takes Turmeric)
I am a "health nut" who has always avoided any and all tobacco and alcohol, am on no medication, am on a reasonably purer diet (organic foods etc.,) and daily take and assortment of vitamins, minerals and a few herbs like garlic and saw palmetto. I had recently began taking therapeutic doses of Turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties in both powered and capsule forms--(powdered form for approximately two to three weeks--one teaspoon twice daily; capsule form for approximately three or four days--one capsule twice daily.) On the day in question, I took one teaspoon of the powered form of turmeric with a late lunch and left off the capsule form. I jog/walk two or three miles intermittently and roughly twice a week. Into the second mile of a three mile jog/walk that night,I experienced an unusual weakness and fatigue, stopped after the second mile and pulse was over 200. I had sweated a lot and after resting a while, I walked the third mile back home and showered. I was unable to sleep. My heart was in atrial fibrillation which was diagnosed hours later at the local Medical Center ER. Heart rate was fluctuating in the 150-170 range and was brought down to 100-120 range with I.V. medication but stayed in that range. Exactly 11 hours after its beginning and with virtually no sleep for over 24 hours and after drinking only water but with very little food and no vitamin or Turmeric consumption, immediately after standing up for the third time in four or five hours to go to the bathroom, I suddenly converted back to a normal heart rate which is 60 to 70 beats a minute and was released from the medical center seven hours later. Plan to stop taking all forms of Turmeric.
- Healthy with myeloma
(Posted by a 70 year old man who has Myeloma Stage I, and takes TURMERIC)
Diagnosed Feb 2010--Myeloma stage I. Now eat veggie with daily juicing and low carbs, plus supplements--B12, multi vitamins, folic acid, Turmeric, Holy Basil, Green Magma or other chlorophyll source. Sometimes Ganoderma mushrooms, cannabis juice, fresh noni juice (not fermented). I have no symptoms, no lifestyle change except diet.
- Isoniazid: the downside continued
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Fatigue, Dizziness (excl Vertigo), Nausea, Impaired Healing, Liver Pain, Diarrhea, Hair Thinning, Liver Pain, Skin Atrophy, and takes Isoniazid)
I also have extreme fatigue. I can sleep 8 hours and then take a 4 hour nap. I have dizziness which seems to be increasing in the last few weeks. I have nausea on and off. I have diarrhea in the morning 45 minutes after taking it. Then I am mostly constipated for the rest of the day. It seems like my hair is thinning. My skin is drying out or becoming considerably less elastic.
- Gemfibrozil, depression and sleepiness
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Depression, Sleepiness - During The Day, Drowsiness, Diarrhoea, Alcohol Use, and takes Gemfibrozil)
I would like to hear from anyone who has had these symptoms, and how they dealt with it, by either lowering dosage or quitting the med, or other. Also would like to hear from others who continued to drink moderately and if this drug lowered their triglycerides...or those who were no longer able to stomach alcohol and had to quit....or had other reactions to gemfibrozil and alcohol use. My depression is becoming severe. I have life changes as well, so I can't figure if it is the drug. Had to take it as my triglycerides were over 900. They are now down to 250. Thanks
More reviews for: Turmeric, Loose bowel movements
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- There is a pain in my neck as well as a pain under my jaw no swelling i only feel it when i touch a small aarea.there is pain in my muscles and around my left breast area only when touching or laying on my stomach each symtom lasted two days then switched to a new symptom it's been onne week since i ...
- I have been on various SSRI drugs over the years of suffering Bipolar2. Recently I was prescribed Paxil and within 3 weeks was suffering chronic diarrhea after a very sudden onset. I carried on suffering and then decided to come off of the Paxil. I do not have insurance and have weened myself off of ...
- Have taken Synthroid for over 25 years, but my current medical insurance will only approve the generic, and I can no longer afford to pay for Synthroid, so I decided to try the generic Levothyroxine. Since I have been using it, I have severe diarrhea.
- Onset of nausea and diarrhea this past Friday slept most of Friday thru Sunday. Went to work on Monday with continuation of symptoms then started with chills. Sent home with fever low grade 99.6 . Stayed home Tuesday &Wednesday and have done nothing but sleep no fever since Monday all symptoms conti ...
More related studies for: Turmeric, Loose bowel movements
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.