Tysabri and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy - from FDA reports
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy is found among people who take Tysabri, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Baclofen, and have Multiple sclerosis . We study 160,334 people who have side effects while taking Tysabri from FDA. Among them, 4,000 have Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Find out below who they are, when they have Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy and more.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
Tysabri has active ingredients of natalizumab. It is often used in multiple sclerosis. (latest outcomes from Tysabri 160,733 users)
Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (rapidly progressive neuromuscular disease caused by opportunistic infection of brain cells) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, non-hodgkin's lymphoma, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 7,273 Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy patients).
On Jan, 21, 2017
160,334 people reported to have side effects when taking Tysabri.
Among them, 4,000 people (2.49%) have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Tysabri when people have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy *:
- < 1 month: 1.95 %
- 1 - 6 months: 2.58 %
- 6 - 12 months: 3.95 %
- 1 - 2 years: 15.15 %
- 2 - 5 years: 65.83 %
- 5 - 10 years: 10.48 %
- 10+ years: 0.06 %
Gender of people who have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy when taking Tysabri *:
- female: 68.68 %
- male: 31.32 %
Age of people who have Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy when taking Tysabri *:
- 0-1: 0.06 %
- 2-9: 0.03 %
- 10-19: 0.89 %
- 20-29: 6.01 %
- 30-39: 24.1 %
- 40-49: 37.17 %
- 50-59: 22.24 %
- 60+: 9.5 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Sclerosis (2,892 people, 72.30%)
- Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (887 people, 22.18%)
- Depression (216 people, 5.40%)
- Muscle Spasticity (152 people, 3.80%)
- Pain (136 people, 3.40%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Baclofen (234 people, 5.85%)
- Lyrica (147 people, 3.67%)
- Avonex (121 people, 3.02%)
- Neurontin (107 people, 2.67%)
- Provigil (89 people, 2.23%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Immune Reconstitution Syndrome (867 people, 21.68%)
- Multiple Sclerosis Relapse (559 people, 13.98%)
- Urinary Tract Infection (216 people, 5.40%)
- Convulsion (188 people, 4.70%)
- Multiple Sclerosis (176 people, 4.40%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy when taking Tysabri?
- Check symptoms - is progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Browse all side effects of Tysabria b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathyProgressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
Could your condition cause Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathyProgressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Multiple sclerosis and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Depression and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Muscle spasticity and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Pain and Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
Can you answer these questions?
I have no known food allergies but just experienced upper lip swelling that resolved but now it is my lower lip and a rash on hands. Began while eating pizza with a beer. Been on the infusions since this past November.
I have tried steroid tablets, creams, ointments but nothing helps. I also have tried rubbing aloe vera plants on the rash and during summer the rash it soo hot and inflamed I have to apply cold packs.
You may be interested in these reviews
On tysabri 10 years then suddenly developed a cardiac tamonade and bi-lateral pleural effusions at the same time. No cause was determined with extensive testing, 5 days in cardiac ICU and 7 more on telemetry unit. Incidental finding of malignant lung tumor found at the same time. Had surgery to ...
I have Multiple sclerosis. I have been on tysabri for 2.5 years. In june of 16' I had my routine blood tests including a CBC. I got a call from my neurologist saying my WBC were over 14k. He asked if I was sick. I was not. I had the same CBC test done in July and Aug. of 2016. Still WBC ...
Hi, I had CLL and took Rituxan and a year later I couldn't see. I had s MRI and they found lesions in the occipital lobe of my brain. My oncologist did a work up and had no clue as to what it may be. I finally went into NYC and had a brain biopsy and then they determined it was PML. That was in ...
Hi, my name is mafe! I am from Bogota, Colombia and I am 31 years. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis this year and started treatment with Tysabri this month but smoke marijuana for years and I know that I can have counterproductive effects with this treatment. I join this group because I ...