Review: could Valproic acid cause Muscle twitching?
Summary: Muscle twitching is found among people who take Valproic acid, especially for people who are male, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Levetiracetam, and have Epilepsy.
We study 9,152 people who have side effects while taking Valproic acid from FDA and social media. Among them, 29 have Muscle twitching. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle twitching and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Valproic acid and have Muscle twitching >>>
Valproic acid has active ingredients of valproic acid. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from 9,306 Valproic acid users)
Muscle Twitching has been reported by people with depression, pain, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 11,065 Muscle Twitching patients)
On Feb, 27, 2015: 9,152 people reported to have side effects when taking Valproic acid. Among them, 29 people (0.32%) have Muscle Twitching.
Time on Valproic acid when people have Muscle twitching * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle twitching when taking Valproic acid * :
|Muscle twitching||50.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Muscle twitching when taking Valproic acid * :
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||7.69%||30.77%||15.38%||3.85%||3.85%||26.92%||11.54% |
Severity of Muscle twitching when taking Valproic acid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle twitching ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle twitching||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Epilepsy (7 people, 24.14%)
- Complex partial seizures (5 people, 17.24%)
- Schizophrenia (4 people, 13.79%)
- Drug exposure during pregnancy (3 people, 10.34%)
- Partial seizures (2 people, 6.90%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Levetiracetam (8 people, 27.59%)
- Zonisamide (7 people, 24.14%)
- Phenytoin (5 people, 17.24%)
- Clozapine (4 people, 13.79%)
- Oxcarbazepine (4 people, 13.79%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of valproic acid and muscle twitching on
Do you have Muscle Twitching while taking Valproic Acid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Valproic acid and have Muscle Twitching
- support group for people who take Valproic acid
- support group for people who have Muscle twitching
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Diflucan, Lexapro for a 45-year old woman with Yeast Infection - Vagina, Anxiety. The patient has Muscle Twitching
- A study of drug interactions between Topamax, Depakene, Lantus for a 27-year old man with Seizures, Seizure - Grand Mal, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- A study of drug interactions between Ativan, Wellbutrin Sr, Singulair, Celebrex, Claritin for a 44-year old woman with Separation Anxiety, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Asthma, Arthritis - Osteoarthritis, Allergies. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Peripheral, Muscle Twitching, Pulse, Sleeping Difficulty, Weight Loss, Anxiety, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness
- A study of side effects of Tramadol for a 18-year old girl with Pain. The patient has Muscle Twitching
- A study of drug interactions between Calcium Citrate, Synthroid for a 51-year old woman with Hypothyroidism. The patient has Tic - Facial, Muscle Twitching
Recent Valproic acid related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Depakene, Topamax for a 5-year old boy who has Seizures
- Comparions of Quetiapine Fumarate, Valproic Acid for a 28-year old man who has Hypomania
- Comparions of Tegretol-xr, Depakene for a 24-year old man who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Flurazepam Hydrochloride, Lorazepam, Valproic Acid, Methamphetamine Hydrochloride, Olanzapine for a 27-year old man who has Borderline Personality Disorder
- Comparions of Insulin, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Emsam, Oxycontin, Valproic Acid for a 58-year old man who has Neuropathy Peripheral
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.