Review: could Vicodin cause High cholesterol?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 11, 2014)
Severity ratings: 3.0/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 32,346 people who take Vicodin. Among them, 789 have High cholesterol. See who they are, when they have High cholesterol and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Vicodin (latest outcomes from 35,229 users) has active ingredients of acetaminophen; hydrocodone bitartrate. It is often used in pain, acupuncture and pain. Commonly reported side effects of Vicodin include pain, pain exacerbated, nausea aggravated, nausea, stress and anxiety.
High cholesterol (latest reports from 453,758 patients) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, osteopenia.
On Feb, 24, 2014: 31,215 people reported to have side effects when taking Vicodin. Among them, 760 people (2.43%) have High Cholesterol.
Time on Vicodin when people have High cholesterol * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High cholesterol||7.59%||36.71%||26.58%||5.06%||18.99%||5.06%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have High cholesterol when taking Vicodin * :
|High cholesterol||52.58%||47.42% |
Age of people who have High cholesterol when taking Vicodin * :
|High cholesterol||0.00%||0.00%||0.25%||1.51%||8.05%||26.29%||30.94%||32.96% |
Severity of High cholesterol when taking Vicodin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High cholesterol||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from High cholesterol ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High cholesterol||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (147 people, 19.34%)
- Back pain (115 people, 15.13%)
- Depression (78 people, 10.26%)
- Hypertension (74 people, 9.74%)
- Arthritis (47 people, 6.18%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (341 people, 44.87%)
- Lipitor (221 people, 29.08%)
- Aspirin (203 people, 26.71%)
- Zometa (180 people, 23.68%)
- Xanax (153 people, 20.13%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Rebecca (2 years ago):
I am 27, female I have been on vicodin for about 5 years, I have never had high cholesterol, I was tested in November was fine Now all of a sudden all mt ldl cholesterol and trigs are extreamly high.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Vicodin, High cholesterol
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Vicodin (acetaminophen; hydrocodone bitartrate) is often used for pain. Find out below the conditions Vicodin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Vicodin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Vicodin side effects from A to Z:
Browse Vicodin drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
Low testosterone, very high stress
From this study (6 months ago):
Was in 2 car accidents in Feb., 2012. Mechanic left part off car both times! I have multiple spine injuries but the cord irritation caused shingles to come out on my face. I cant have thoracic surgery till shingles is no longer active. I have numerous new symptoms like high cholesterol and skin fungal infection and distended stomach and autonomic dysreflexia. I have hard time initiating a urine stream and cant push very well to hav a bowel movement.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Vicodin, High cholesterol
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Lump in throat, swallowing problems, reflux
After 3 months, my total cholesterol went way down, but developed terrible throat problems. Like an ever-present lump that made it difficult to swallow. At night, discomfort with acid going up and down my throat all night, making it hard to sleep and breathe. Stopped taking Simvastatin on my own ...
- Allergic reaction to lipitor
Took 10mg of Atorvastatin for 3 days to reduce choldesterol LDL below 100. I felt peculiar from the first day, however by the 3rd dosage day I came home from work in a state of extreme pain in my hands and limbs. This rather quickly became systemic and I was unable to get out of bed. I was beyond ...
- Diarrhea for 4 years on ezetimibe
Had diarrhea for four years which stopped within 8 weeks of stopping the medication.
More reviews for: Vicodin, High cholesterol
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Clonazepam, Losartan for a patient with Pain - Back, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Hypertension. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides (High Blood Cholesterol)
- A study of drug interactions between Fish Oil, Multivitamin, Calcium Carbonate, CoQ10, Aspirin, Claritin, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Simvastatin, Wellbutrin Xl, Sertraline, Methadone Hydrochloride, Morphine Sulfate for a patient with Heart Injury, Vitamin B Complex Deficiency, Bone Density Increased, Seasonal Allergy, Breakthrough Pain, High Blood Cholesterol, Depression, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Chronic Pain. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol, Seasonal Allergy, Depression, Heart Injury, Herniated Intervertebral Disk (Herniated nucleus pulposus (slipped disk)), Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- A study of drug interactions between Prozac, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Aleve-d Sinus & Cold, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Morphine, Gabapentin for a patient with Stress And Anxiety, Depression Suicidal, Headache, Pain Management, Shingles. The patient has Eyelid Drooping, Tinnitus, Swallowing Difficulty, Barium Swallow Abnormal, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased (High Blood Cholesterol), Autonomic Dysreflexia, Fungal Skin Infection, Distended Abdomen (Abdomen - swollen), Thoracic Root Pain, Nerve Root Injury Cervical, Nerve Root Injury Lumbar, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Skin Disorder, Pain - Rib Cage (Rib cage pain), Shoulder Pain, Headache
More related studies for: Vicodin, High cholesterol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.