Review: could Victoza cause Pancreatic cancer (Pancreatic carcinoma)?
Summary: Pancreatic cancer is found among people who take Victoza, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Type 2 diabetes.
We study 12,134 people who have side effects while taking Victoza from FDA and social media. Among them, 101 have Pancreatic cancer. Find out below who they are, when they have Pancreatic cancer and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Victoza and have Pancreatic cancer >>>
Victoza has active ingredients of liraglutide. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 12,246 Victoza users)
Pancreatic cancer (pancreatic cancer) has been reported by people with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 7,478 Pancreatic cancer patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 12,134 people reported to have side effects when taking Victoza. Among them, 101 people (0.83%) have Pancreatic Cancer.
Time on Victoza when people have Pancreatic cancer * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Pancreatic cancer||21.92%||39.73%||27.40%||9.59%||1.37%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Pancreatic cancer when taking Victoza * :
|Pancreatic cancer||42.24%||57.76% |
Age of people who have Pancreatic cancer when taking Victoza * :
|Pancreatic cancer||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.98%||49.02%||50.00% |
Severity of Pancreatic cancer when taking Victoza ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Pancreatic cancer||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
How people recovered from Pancreatic cancer ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Pancreatic cancer||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (87 people, 86.14%)
- Diabetes mellitus (18 people, 17.82%)
- Hypertension (11 people, 10.89%)
- Obesity (6 people, 5.94%)
- Angina pectoris (5 people, 4.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (35 people, 34.65%)
- Amaryl (30 people, 29.70%)
- Aspirin (22 people, 21.78%)
- Simvastatin (20 people, 19.80%)
- Byetta (13 people, 12.87%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
SadSon (1 year ago):
Hello, My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer which spread to her liver. She was on Victoza for close to a year. There is no history of any kind of cancer in our family, however diabetes is another story. She was given this medication to help lose weight and to help with her type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, she passed away only two months after being diagnosed. She was only 48 and had so much more life to live. It makes me sick to constantly see commercials for this horrible drug. I urge anyone who is or is considering taking this medication to think twice. The drug companies do not care about people, only money. I love my mom more than words can say and she has been taken from me all so Novo Nordisk can make their billions. Please, heed my warnings. It is not worth the risk.
Reply the comment
Lori P (1 year ago):
I am a 61 year old woman. I have been using Victoza for approximately one year. I got sick in January with stomach pain and in June. I thought I just had the flu. The last two months however have been pure hell. I have had, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, I have been so ill I've to the ER. I have been out of it to the point that I am tired, suffer pain in my back, legs. One day I was so tired I forgot to inject. I felt ok the next day I injected and was horribly sick the next day. Now I'm off the Victoza and I'm not sick. I think this medicine is really bad
Reply the comment
Sally (2 years ago):
Woman aged 52 l have been on vitoza about two years lost 5 stone but the last 7 months have been hell. I stopped it 2 months ago. i have been suffering stomach pain, back pain, have really bad diarrhea, wind pain feel so so tired have no engery, just feel awful. I am awaiting for a CT scan as the hospital want to look at my pancrestis. i am very worried and fed up l can barely keep going for my job .
Reply the comment
Kelly (2 years ago):
I saw your comment on this site. I'm 46 and was given Victoza about a month ago. I'm getting off this drug A.S.A.P.! I've told my doctor I want off it! We'll see what he says! Thanks for sharing!
Reply the comment
Stephanie (2 years ago):
Female age 45 and I took Victoza off and on for two or so years and I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and had the whipple surgery on August 20th 2012 I would advise not to take this drug!
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of victoza and pancreatic cancer on
Do you have Pancreatic Cancer while taking Victoza?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Victoza and have Pancreatic Cancer
- support group for people who take Victoza
- support group for people who have Pancreatic Cancer
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Victoza for a 62-year old man with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Lightheadedness
- A study of side effects of Victoza for a 43-year old man with Diabetes. The patient has Tic - Facial
- A study of drug interactions between Acetaminophen And Hydrocodone Bitartrate, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Victoza, Lantus Solostar for a 52-year old woman with Sciatica, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Vitamin D Decreased, Edema - Peripheral, Peripheral Edema, Thyroid Mass, Diabetes Mellitus. The patient has Foot, Leg, And Ankle Swelling, Ankle Pain, Low Back Pain
- A study of side effects of Victoza for a 65-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Heart Palpitations
- A study of drug interactions between Crestor, Synthroid, Ranitidine, Singulair, Zoloft, Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate, Victoza, Metformin for a 65-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Thyroid Disorder, Acid Reflux, Asthma, Anxiety Disorder, Gerd, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Stomach Pain, Gerd, Cough
Recent Victoza related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.