Welchol and Flushing - from FDA reports
Flushing is found among people who take Welchol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Niaspan, and have Low density lipoprotein increased. This review analyzes which people have Flushing with Welchol. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 7,735 people who have side effects when taking Welchol from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Aug, 24, 2017
7,735 people reported to have side effects when taking Welchol.
Among them, 232 people (3.0%) have Flushing
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Welchol when people have Flushing *:
- < 1 month: 80 %
- 1 - 6 months: 20 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Flushing when taking Welchol *:
- female: 46.75 %
- male: 53.25 %
Age of people who have Flushing when taking Welchol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.72 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 5.76 %
- 40-49: 8.63 %
- 50-59: 30.94 %
- 60+: 53.96 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Low Density Lipoprotein Increased (35 people, 15.09%)
- High Density Lipoprotein Decreased (28 people, 12.07%)
- High Blood Pressure (17 people, 7.33%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (12 people, 5.17%)
- Multiple Sclerosis (8 people, 3.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Niaspan (147 people, 63.36%)
- Aspirin (68 people, 29.31%)
- Zetia (42 people, 18.10%)
- Crestor (30 people, 12.93%)
- Plavix (29 people, 12.50%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Itching (57 people, 24.57%)
- Feeling Hot (52 people, 22.41%)
- Rashes (43 people, 18.53%)
- Paraesthesia (25 people, 10.78%)
- Headache (17 people, 7.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Flushing when taking Welchol?
- Check symptoms - is flushing caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsFlushing and drugs with ingredients of colesevelam hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeFlushing and Welchol from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Welchol has active ingredients of colesevelam hydrochloride. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from Welchol 8,114 users)
Flushing (the warm, red condition of human skin) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol (latest reports from 71,439 Flushing patients).
Browse all side effects of Welchola b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with FlushingFlushing
Could your condition cause FlushingFlushing
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Since I came home I get really bad leg cramps in my left shin. At night and during the day. At night they will wake me from a sound sleep and I have to get up and walk around for about 30 minutes.I have taken leg cramp pills, drink a gallon of water a day, also dring tonic water for the quinine ...
User reviews to the study
I had my gallbladder removed and had a problem with chronic diarrhea. I also have high cholesterol. My doctor put me on cholesterol medication called Welchol. At first, it was wonderful because it stopped me from having diarrhea so much. But now my skin itches everywhere even in my scalp.
Taking one 50,000 vitamin D2 per week. Did not cause a red face, that I noticed, until the 7th week. I really don't look in the mirror that often so I can't be sure that it wasn't causing a red face all along.
Hi! I am having symbicort 12/400 twice a day for twelve years. Two years ago I started with red face, thats's increasing more and more. Now I'm supecting of cushing. Anibody else with red face can while taking symbicort for so long time?
I took levothyroxine for 6 weeks. Changed to armour 7 days ago due to it messing with my eyes. I noticed I have red face now.....almost is a butterfly rash but noticed my face all around is rough...,not smooth like it normally is. Can levo do this