Review: could Wellbutrin cause Hypersomnia (Drowsiness)?
Summary: Hypersomnia is found among people who take Wellbutrin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Wellbutrin xl, and have Depression.
We study 49,243 people who have side effects while taking Wellbutrin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,262 have Hypersomnia. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypersomnia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Hypersomnia >>>
Wellbutrin has active ingredients of bupropion hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from Wellbutrin 54,972 users)
Hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness (eds)) has been reported by people with depression, pain, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Hypersomnia 68,688 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 49,204 people reported to have side effects when taking Wellbutrin. Among them, 1,262 people (2.56%) have Hypersomnia.
Time on Wellbutrin when people have Hypersomnia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hypersomnia when taking Wellbutrin * :
Severity of Hypersomnia when taking Wellbutrin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypersomnia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (464 people, 36.77%)
- Pain (147 people, 11.65%)
- Hypertension (77 people, 6.10%)
- Anxiety (76 people, 6.02%)
- Bipolar disorder (73 people, 5.78%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Wellbutrin xl (263 people, 20.84%)
- Wellbutrin sr (230 people, 18.23%)
- Paxil (184 people, 14.58%)
- Lexapro (163 people, 12.92%)
- Neurontin (158 people, 12.52%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypersomnia while taking Wellbutrin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Hypersomnia
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin
- support group for people who have Hypersomnia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What are the side effects of catuaba/golden trumpet? is it truly for man only? does it really help with physical and mental fatigue?
On going, gradual forgetfulness for over 10 years. Concentration is moderate,but memory is very poor. Day time sleepiness is always an issue. No brain tumor, no dementia,nor any other neurological dysfunctions.
- Can meclizine cause insomnia once and sleepiness the next time
I took Meclizine one night (as advised by pharmacist; she said it causes drowsiness), after experiencing my first attack of vertigo. It kept me awake almost all night. A couple weeks later, as I was getting ready for a special school event for my daughter, I thought another vertigo attack was coming on. Since the Meclizine didn't make me sleepy the first time but instead had the opposite effect, I thought it would be ok to take it (this was an evening event with a meal). After eating, I began to get very sleepy and my face almost fell in my plate.
- Has anyone been helped by taking lexapro and wellbutrin?
I am the mom of a 22 year old who is trying to get through college and can't seem to find the right meds for depression. She is taking Lexapro and I am wondering if adding Wellbutrin will help.
- My sister has been taking depakote cogentin and geodon and suffers with great memory loss inability to carry on a conversation and drops things all the time is this the effect of these drugs? (1 answer)
Sister takes over 16 perscriptions but the ones mentioned are severe.. due to being bi-polar, and severe agoraphobia and anxiety with depression..is this now her life? Not being able to fully comprehend or remember anything? Dropping things and falling when under the full impact of this medication? I either need to get some acceptance or find answers to the effects this medicine is causing..afraid to change up her medicines but needless to say I am worried...
- I'm on 1 1/12 mg of suboxone. would i have to go off of it if i need major surgery?
I was taking about 5 to 15 mg of Percocet a day and wanted to get off them. If I don't take suboxone at night I get EXTREME discomfort down my left leg & can not sleep due to pressure on my lower back (that's why I had to take Percocet). I have tried NUMEROUS meds over the past 20 yrs & nothing worked. the actual problem in my lumber spine is not serious enough to have surgery at this time.
My question is if I need major surgery and need to take an opiate pain med would I have to get off the 1 1/2 mg of suboxone so I don't to go into withdrawal (as a doc once told me)? I'm 72 & the possibility of needing surgery is high, especially since I've had breast, colon & skin cancer. thank you
More questions for: Wellbutrin, Hypersomnia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Bedwetting with paxil and wellbutrin
I have been using both of these drugs and now have bedwetting issues 5 times a week on average. I would rate the bedwetting as moderate about a6/10 but my wife and I can live with this as she had made the comment " you are back to the man I married ". I started taking these due to depression about work and anxiety about work. We both think we can live with the bedwetting as no one needs to know about it
- Wellbutrin caused my trigeminal neurlagia
So I'm writing this to hopefully shed light to other users in the same position I was in. I had taken Wellbutrin for about 4 years. The pain experienced in my face was excruciatingly painful. It was just on one side of my face between my temple and upper lip. All the symptoms reflected Trigeminal Neuralgia. But even with an MRI nothing could be found. I suffered for 3 of those years with pain coming and going, not understanding what was going on. Finally one day I decided hell with Wellbutrin and just stopped taking it. It's been 6 months now and I have yet to have a single shred of pain. Coincidence? I doubt it.
- Lorazepam nearly killed me during cancer treatment
Day 31 of cold turkey and I want to die. It is a roller coaster from body tics and sweats to rage and crying in one day. I felt so good the 4h day of c/t. It was like before my cancer diagnosis. My bowels are better off Lorazepam. I threw up during bowel movements from the pain. Off Lorazepam first normal bowel movement in over 2 years. Stomach so damaged by Lorazepam that I have absolutely no appetite. I force myself to eat. Neuropathy in hands nearly gone. Feet are better but slower. Lymphedema that appeared after one year on Lorazepam is now gone. I have full range of motion.
- Gabapentin made me comatose
I took Neurontin, and then its generic, Neurontin, for about five years. It was prescribed for chronic pain. I found it ineffective, but kept being told it was a good drug, quite benign, and was probably benefiting me more than I realized. I did NOT realize that toward the end of the five-year period I was sinking into somnolence. On some days I simply didn't bother with the drug, because I felt it was ineffective, but on others I followed doctor's orders. Thus my condition varied depending on whether I'd actually ingested the drug. My condition came to a crisis when my husband called me from work, and found me incoherent. He took me to the ER, but I remember nothing about it. Apparently I was pleasant during admission, but clearly confused (I thought we had two presidents -- probably conflating George Bush with George W. Bush.) By the time doctors saw me, I was comatose. The physicians suspected morphine intoxication, as I was a chronic-pain patient. They didn't know what to do and thought I was dying. My husband told them the name of my pain- management doctor, who immediately diagnosed the problem. My kidneys were shutting down. He pointed to my creatines, which were off the chart. He told the other doctors to hydrate me fully, and leave me alone -- that I would be fine. I awoke about 10 hours later in intensive care. A nurse asked me if I knew where I was, and I replied I knew I was in the hospital but didn't know why. I was discharged the next morning, and had no lasting effects from the drug.
- Chills associated with ibuprophen (1 response)
I generally respond well to medication. I am a senior who has chronic pain from a c1-c2 fusion. Codeine works well, and I don't use a lot. Still, I sought alternatives to opiates for nerve pain. I lice in a colder climate. It took me quite a while to associate susceptibility to becoming chilled with Ibuprophen. I thought it was age and/or the weather. Perhaps these are factors; but it happens every time I use Ibuprophen. I share this hoping it can help others.
More reviews for: Wellbutrin, Hypersomnia
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Swallowing Difficulty- Feels as though muscles may be uncoordinated on one side of the throat, or muscles are too tight and causing pressure on throat. Have had this problem on and off for about 3 years. It is a mild discomfort that can be temporarily relieved by stretch the muscles on the left side ...
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- was on 10 mg Celexa which was increased 1 week ago to 20 mg due to high levels of stress in workplace. 7 days into increased dose experienced high level of anger in workplace due to stressful conditions.
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- severe nausea and vomiting when take aleve for arthritus/joint pain, no longer take aleve, take advil instead. never experienced nausea and vomiting while taking wellbutrin and occaisionally taking advil for pain
More related studies for: Wellbutrin, Hypersomnia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.