Review: could Wellbutrin cause Ibs (Irritable bowel syndrome)?
Summary: Ibs is found among people who take Wellbutrin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Vioxx, and have Depression.
We study 49,243 people who have side effects while taking Wellbutrin from FDA and social media. Among them, 150 have Ibs. Find out below who they are, when they have Ibs and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Ibs >>>
Wellbutrin has active ingredients of bupropion hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (view latest outcomes from 54,972 users)
Ibs (irritable bowel syndrome -chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating) has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure.(latest reports from Ibs 14,811 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 49,204 people reported to have side effects when taking Wellbutrin. Among them, 150 people (0.30%) have Ibs.
Time on Wellbutrin when people have Ibs * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Ibs when taking Wellbutrin * :
Severity of Ibs when taking Wellbutrin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Ibs ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (46 people, 30.67%)
- Acne (26 people, 17.33%)
- Anxiety (16 people, 10.67%)
- Pain (12 people, 8.00%)
- Contraception (9 people, 6.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (30 people, 20.00%)
- Zoloft (28 people, 18.67%)
- Seroquel (28 people, 18.67%)
- Plavix (27 people, 18.00%)
- Accutane (27 people, 18.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Ibs while taking Wellbutrin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Ibs
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin
- support group for people who have Ibs
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does anyone experience heart palpitations causedby their acid reflux ?
I have had acid reflux/Gerd for 4 years + Was not believed that symptoms were real for a while as had no heartburn and a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which even now some medics think is imaginary...it's NOT!!! Following a demeester score of 45 ( very high confirmation of acid reflux) and discovery of a large hiatal hernia, ( a classic physical cause of acid reflux) I had hernia repair operation and LINX anti reflux surgery. Throughout the four years a major symptom of my acid reflux were heart palpatations. They started at the same time I started with reflux and cleared up after the surgery. I have been reflux free palpitation free and antacid free for four months. then I was put on Gabapentin for back spasm and the reflux returned along with the palpitations. Medics keep insisting this is just anxiety yet eat a food that gives me reflux also starts the palps which is the indicator of the reflux as I do not have heartburn. Comes on when relaxing and eating watching tv ( no anxiety present) and when I am sleeping peacefully ( no anxiety present) my heart wakes me up and fires off into tachycardia. Recently a doctor has said it is now known that acid reflux irritates the nerves in the solar plexus area and that triggers the palps. Anyone else experienced this? Are there any studies on it at all? Thanks all.
- Has anyone had lasting anxiety from taking linzess?
Felt slight edginess and nervousness occurred while taking Linzess for 3 weeks (145mcg). I stopped taking it a month ago due this side effect, but upon discontinuation, the slight edginess turned into severe anxiety which is now causing high blood pressure.
Has anyone experienced this?
- Has anyone been helped by taking lexapro and wellbutrin?
I am the mom of a 22 year old who is trying to get through college and can't seem to find the right meds for depression. She is taking Lexapro and I am wondering if adding Wellbutrin will help.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid dreams that carry over when she awakens, or if she wakes up and sees visions. I do not want to change her meds, if possible. This combination of Aricept, Namenda and Lexapro have allowed her to be sharper mentally than she has in a number of years. Except for the hallucinations, it's been nothing short of amazing. Please help. Thank you
- My sister has been taking depakote cogentin and geodon and suffers with great memory loss inability to carry on a conversation and drops things all the time is this the effect of these drugs? (1 answer)
Sister takes over 16 perscriptions but the ones mentioned are severe.. due to being bi-polar, and severe agoraphobia and anxiety with depression..is this now her life? Not being able to fully comprehend or remember anything? Dropping things and falling when under the full impact of this medication? I either need to get some acceptance or find answers to the effects this medicine is causing..afraid to change up her medicines but needless to say I am worried...
More questions for: Wellbutrin, Ibs
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Headache after propofol
Was given Propofol while having Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. Severe headache in evening and following day.
- Bedwetting with paxil and wellbutrin
I have been using both of these drugs and now have bedwetting issues 5 times a week on average. I would rate the bedwetting as moderate about a6/10 but my wife and I can live with this as she had made the comment " you are back to the man I married ". I started taking these due to depression about work and anxiety about work. We both think we can live with the bedwetting as no one needs to know about it
- Wellbutrin caused my trigeminal neurlagia
So I'm writing this to hopefully shed light to other users in the same position I was in. I had taken Wellbutrin for about 4 years. The pain experienced in my face was excruciatingly painful. It was just on one side of my face between my temple and upper lip. All the symptoms reflected Trigeminal Neuralgia. But even with an MRI nothing could be found. I suffered for 3 of those years with pain coming and going, not understanding what was going on. Finally one day I decided hell with Wellbutrin and just stopped taking it. It's been 6 months now and I have yet to have a single shred of pain. Coincidence? I doubt it.
- Lorazepam nearly killed me during cancer treatment
Day 31 of cold turkey and I want to die. It is a roller coaster from body tics and sweats to rage and crying in one day. I felt so good the 4h day of c/t. It was like before my cancer diagnosis. My bowels are better off Lorazepam. I threw up during bowel movements from the pain. Off Lorazepam first normal bowel movement in over 2 years. Stomach so damaged by Lorazepam that I have absolutely no appetite. I force myself to eat. Neuropathy in hands nearly gone. Feet are better but slower. Lymphedema that appeared after one year on Lorazepam is now gone. I have full range of motion.
- Chills associated with ibuprophen (1 response)
I generally respond well to medication. I am a senior who has chronic pain from a c1-c2 fusion. Codeine works well, and I don't use a lot. Still, I sought alternatives to opiates for nerve pain. I lice in a colder climate. It took me quite a while to associate susceptibility to becoming chilled with Ibuprophen. I thought it was age and/or the weather. Perhaps these are factors; but it happens every time I use Ibuprophen. I share this hoping it can help others.
More reviews for: Wellbutrin, Ibs
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Swallowing Difficulty- Feels as though muscles may be uncoordinated on one side of the throat, or muscles are too tight and causing pressure on throat. Have had this problem on and off for about 3 years. It is a mild discomfort that can be temporarily relieved by stretch the muscles on the left side ...
- was on 10 mg Celexa which was increased 1 week ago to 20 mg due to high levels of stress in workplace. 7 days into increased dose experienced high level of anger in workplace due to stressful conditions.
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- severe nausea and vomiting when take aleve for arthritus/joint pain, no longer take aleve, take advil instead. never experienced nausea and vomiting while taking wellbutrin and occaisionally taking advil for pain
- There are events in my life during this time, that I can't even recall.
My personallity change is something others have told me about. The change in personality is something the amnesia has covered. I don't recall any of what I became while on Wellbutrin.
More related studies for: Wellbutrin, Ibs
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.