Review: could Wellbutrin cause Neuroleptic malignant syndrome?
Summary: Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is found among people who take Wellbutrin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Seroquel, and have Depression.
We study 49,335 people who have side effects while taking Wellbutrin from FDA and social media. Among them, 84 have Neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Neuroleptic malignant syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Neuroleptic malignant syndrome >>>
Wellbutrin has active ingredients of bupropion hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 55,078 Wellbutrin users)
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (a life-threatening neurological disorder most often caused by an adverse reaction to neuroleptic or antipsychotic agents) has been reported by people with schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, parkinson's disease. (latest reports from 7,507 Neuroleptic malignant syndrome patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 49,314 people reported to have side effects when taking Wellbutrin. Among them, 84 people (0.17%) have Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.
Time on Wellbutrin when people have Neuroleptic malignant syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Neuroleptic malignant syndrome||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Neuroleptic malignant syndrome when taking Wellbutrin * :
|Neuroleptic malignant syndrome||4.55%||0.00%||4.55%||7.58%||19.70%||21.21%||21.21%||21.21% |
Severity of Neuroleptic malignant syndrome when taking Wellbutrin ** :
How people recovered from Neuroleptic malignant syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (20 people, 23.81%)
- Bipolar disorder (14 people, 16.67%)
- Schizophrenia (13 people, 15.48%)
- Sleep disorder (8 people, 9.52%)
- Agitation (5 people, 5.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (37 people, 44.05%)
- Risperdal (25 people, 29.76%)
- Zyprexa (24 people, 28.57%)
- Depakote (15 people, 17.86%)
- Lexapro (15 people, 17.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of wellbutrin and neuroleptic malignant syndrome on
Do you have Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome while taking Wellbutrin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin
- support group for people who have Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Ativan, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Latuda, Vyvanse, Zopiclone, Gabapentin, Seroquel for a 21-year old woman with Panic Attack, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Insomnia, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Anxiety, Apathy, Hypomania, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Tremor, Memory Impairment
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Ritalin, Lo Loestrin Fe, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Cymbalta for a 31-year old woman with Vitamin C, Add, Oral Contraception, Depression. The patient has Vaginal Mucus, Anal Mucus
- A study of side effects of Wellbutrin for a 28-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Vaginal Pain, Vertigo, Swollen Lymph Nodes (swelling of lymph nodes), Pelvic Discomfort, Heavy Or Prolong Menstrual Bleeding, Vaginal Discharge, Cervical Dysplasia (abnormal changes in the cells on the surface of the cervix)
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Wellbutrin for a 63-year old woman with Thyroid Disorder, Depression. The patient has Constipation
Recent Wellbutrin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Paxil for a 41-year old man who has Stress And Anxiety
- Comparions of Nuvigil, Wellbutrin for a 49-year old woman who has Chronic Depression
- Comparions of Sertraline, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Prozac, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lexapro for a 69-year old man who has Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorders
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Celexa for a 41-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Grapefruit Seed Extract, Wellbutrin Xl for a 28-year old woman who has Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.