Review: could Wellbutrin cause Stroke?
Summary: Stroke is found among people who take Wellbutrin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Vioxx, and have Depression.
We study 49,344 people who have side effects while taking Wellbutrin from FDA and social media. Among them, 560 have Stroke. Find out below who they are, when they have Stroke and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Stroke >>>
Wellbutrin has active ingredients of bupropion hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 55,089 Wellbutrin users)
Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 93,279 Stroke patients)
On Apr, 14, 2015: 49,335 people reported to have side effects when taking Wellbutrin. Among them, 560 people (1.14%) have Stroke.
Time on Wellbutrin when people have Stroke * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Stroke when taking Wellbutrin * :
Severity of Stroke when taking Wellbutrin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Stroke ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (146 people, 26.07%)
- Pain (72 people, 12.86%)
- Hypertension (52 people, 9.29%)
- Anxiety (47 people, 8.39%)
- Arthritis (39 people, 6.96%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (219 people, 39.11%)
- Plavix (122 people, 21.79%)
- Lipitor (107 people, 19.11%)
- Aspirin (95 people, 16.96%)
- Lasix (95 people, 16.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
48yr.Male (7 months ago):
At 48 (now 50)I had a mild ischemic stroke deemed Cryptogenic (fancy word for they have no clue why I had a stroke). No high blood pressure, great physical condition (6feet tall 160 lbs) run a 25min 5K. Beth Israel Hospital in Boston ran every test imaginable and other than PFO found no cause for my stroke. The stroke itself was odd because I only had an odd feeling in my mouth for approx. 3 seconds but I called ambulance and EMT questioned if I should even go to hospital but glad I did because I now take 325mg aspirin daily. Anyway, at the time and still today, I take 200mg of Wellbutrin, 150mg of Zantac for Acid Reflux, Zyrtec and Nasonex for allergy/sinus.
Sending this if others have had similar situation.
Reply the comment
med7 (3 years ago):
39/f... ridiculously healthy medically with exception of depression,anxiety, adhd. Went off all meds while pregnant. More depression and anxiety following two miscarriages last year, first at 17 weeks, second on due date of first baby miscarried. Now unable to conceive. Thought that sucked, until I had a full out stroke while at work last Monday (im in medicine). Come to realize, this is actually the second time. One same time last year. Full evaluaion and all okay; no major damage. But the only thing the docs can attribute the strokes to is the wellbutrin. Be careful. I used to be on 450mg and read that it was too dangerous. Now on 300mg at time of event. Still too much, I guess. Scary stuff,especially when your very livelihood (never mind life) depends on it.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of wellbutrin and stroke on
Do you have Stroke while taking Wellbutrin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin and have Stroke
- support group for people who take Wellbutrin
- support group for people who have Stroke
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Hydromorphone Hydrochloride, Bisacodyl, Piperine, Curcumin, Fish Oil, Ativan, Coreg, Prilosec Otc, Wellbutrin Xl, Oxycodone for a 39-year old woman with Chronic Pain, Constipation, Adjuvant For Curcumin, Depression, Inflammatory Pain, Anxiety Disorder, Atrial Tachycardia, Ulcer - Peptic, Breakthrough Pain. The patient has Tricuspid Regurgitation, Chronic Mitral Valve Regurgitation, Heart Murmurs, Ventricular Extrasystoles, Palpitations
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, VYVANSE, WELLBUTRIN, PROZAC for a 45-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Add, Depression, Anxiety.
- A study of drug interactions between St. John's Wort, Vitamin C, Biotin, Zyrtec, Garlic, Multivitamin, L-Lysine, Indian Tumeric, Tylenol W/ Codeine No. 3, Sertraline, Relpax, Butalbital, Acetaminophen And Caffeine, Baclofen, Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride, Bupropion Hydrochloride for a 37-year old woman with Dysthymic Disorder, Acne Cystic, Rhinitis, General Physical Health Deterioration, Pain - Leg, Migraine, Belching.
- A study of drug interactions between Bupropion Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine for a 31-year old man with Low Motivation, Depression.
- A study of drug interactions between Flonase, Lamictal, Latuda, Celexa, Methadone Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Wellbutrin Sr for a 35-year old woman with Nasal Allergies, Bipolar 2, Drug Addiction, Anxiety. The patient has Anorgasmia
Recent Wellbutrin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Lexapro for a 50-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Sertraline, Paroxetine Hydrochloride for a 21-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Abilify, Wellbutrin Xl, Prozac for a 33-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Nexplanon, Valacyclovir Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin for a 55-year old woman who has Depression And Genital Herpes
- Comparions of Neurontin, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin Xl, Latuda, Risperidone for a 38-year old man who has Schizoaffective Disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.