Review: could Xalatan cause Deafness (Hearing loss)?
Summary: Deafness is found among people who take Xalatan, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Hydrochlorothiazide, and have Glaucoma.
We study 14,395 people who have side effects while taking Xalatan from FDA and social media. Among them, 39 have Deafness. Find out below who they are, when they have Deafness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Xalatan and have Deafness >>>
Xalatan has active ingredients of latanoprost. It is often used in glaucoma. (latest outcomes from Xalatan 14,567 users)
Deafness has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Deafness 10,219 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 14,394 people reported to have side effects when taking Xalatan. Among them, 45 people (0.31%) have Deafness.
Time on Xalatan when people have Deafness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Deafness when taking Xalatan * :
Age of people who have Deafness when taking Xalatan * :
Severity of Deafness when taking Xalatan ** :
How people recovered from Deafness ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Glaucoma (17 people, 37.78%)
- Multiple myeloma (4 people, 8.89%)
- Dyslipidaemia (3 people, 6.67%)
- Ill-defined disorder (3 people, 6.67%)
- Abdominal pain upper (2 people, 4.44%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Hydrochlorothiazide (7 people, 15.56%)
- Zoloft (7 people, 15.56%)
- Lisinopril (6 people, 13.33%)
- Prilosec (4 people, 8.89%)
- Toprol-xl (4 people, 8.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
cecie (4 years ago):
Empirically, using Xalatan for early symptoms of glaucoma. Affecting lipid-secreting fat cells in ear canal, am experiencing hearing loss.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Deafness while taking Xalatan?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Xalatan and have Deafness
- support group for people who take Xalatan
- support group for people who have Deafness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Could smoking marijuana once cause retinal detachment? after smoking a small amount of mj, my retina detached and i ended up having emergency surgery to mend it.
(Asked by a 63 year old man who has Glaucoma Congenital, and takes Marijuana, Latanoprost)
I had had laser surgery, cataract surgery much earlier--all successful. Members of my family have glaucoma and so do I. After hearing that marijuana might ease the glaucoma, I smoked one time. That night, my retina began to detach. Is there any causal relationship between the marijuana and the retin ...
- Can dengue feve cause hearing loss?
(Asked by a 51 year old man who has Hearing Loss)
In Nov 2007 I contracted Dungue and sometime inn 2008 I lost my (L)hearing, just wanted to know if the 2 are linked.
- Does latanoprost cause higher blood pressue when using it?
(Asked by a 81 year old woman who has Higher Blood Pressure, and takes Latanoprost)
I currently have and am being treated for high blood pressure. After I recently started Latanoprost, my blood pressure has risen. Has anyone had a similar reaction? Thanks.
- When will fluid in ear from ear infection go away? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 29 year old woman who has Ear Infection, Fluid In Middle Ear, Decreased Hearing, Pressure-related Ear Pain, Headache - Cluster, Nausea, and takes Amoxicillin)
Twelve days ago I my left ear suddenly started hurting, and stared to sound like my ear was under water. Pain, and pressure in both ears continued to get worse for 8 days before I saw a doctor who diagnosed infection in both ears and prescribed me amoxicillin, 500mg 3x a day.
I have taken the antib ...
- Is there the correlation of hearing loss with use of escitalopram 20 mg
(Asked by a 18 year old boy who has Hearing Loss, and takes Escitalopram, Buspirone Hcl)
My 18 year old son has just been found to have mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears. Could it be caused by a Rx and will his hearing return if he stops taking the medication???
More questions for: Xalatan, Deafness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Zetia causes deafness
(Posted by a 23 year old man who has Deafness, and takes Zetia)
Took for two weeks and now have complete deafness. This was back in 2012.
- Isoniazid and deafness
(Posted by a 34 year old woman who has Hearing Loss, and takes Isoniazid)
As a young girl I was put on Isoniazid, I didn't put 2 and 2 together but after taking the inh I started loosing my hearing to the point I'm completely deaf in my left ear. I have found a few people having report that they lost their hearing also. I'm just curious as to about how many people have ha ...
More reviews for: Xalatan, Deafness
- A study of side effects of Latanoprost for a patient with Glaucoma. The patient has Memory Loss
Comments: Aware of the more usual yesteryear being much clearer than yesterday in the elderly and this is normal experience. More recent months has shown that the mid term and even the 'fossilised' memory is affected (is that piano new? was my husband called George?). Spoken references are still clear and sel ...
- A study of drug interactions between Latanoprost, Timolol Maleate for a patient with Glaucoma. The patient has Bradycardia Foetal
Comments: Sice 6 month ago, because of high pressure of my eyes,I visited eye specialist and after he checking my eyes, he found Glaucoma associated with high pressure in my two eyes. He gave the above mentioned eye drops and advised me to instill one drop of Timolol to each eye in the morning and 1 drop of L ...
- A study of drug interactions between Topamax, Risperdal, Xanax, Klonopin, Lamictal, Viibryd for a patient with Bipolar 2, Mania, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Depression. The patient has Hearing Loss
Comments: I have experienced hearing loss within the past 8 years and wondered if it had to do with medications I have taken. I have taken others during that time including Abilify, Trileptal, Effexor. I recently have noticed a decrease in my hearing.
- A study of drug interactions between Alprazolam, Loryna, Xalatan, Azopt for a patient with Stress And Anxiety, Periods - Painful, Glaucoma. The patient has Menstruation - Painful, Menstruation Irregular, Pms, Emotional Distress, Migraine With Aura, Acute Bladder Infection, Allergies, Sexual Intercourse - Painful, Lumpy Breasts, Fatigue - Chronic, Abortion Induced Incomplete, Painful Defaecation, Abdominal Bloating, Abdominal Cramps, Leg Cramping, Diarrhea, Constipation, Nausea, Eczema, Back Pain - Low
Comments: perfect storm? all symptoms started after abortion, been on glaucoma medication for 15 years, cousin on the same meds was diagnosed with a rare form of endometriosis. All my symptoms say endometriosis is possible cause. I just want to know what is wrong with me.
- A study of side effects of Ceftriaxone for a patient with Lyme Disease - Secondary Or Stage 2. The patient has Hearing Loss
Comments: 05/26/14: Having reached a plateau in discernible improvements after taking ceftriaxone IVs (2gm BID 3 days/week via port for 33 out of 38 weeks), I halted treatment two weeks ago. Still have a high degree of annoying tinnitus in both ears and a marked reduction in hearing.
More related studies for: Xalatan, Deafness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.