Review: could Xanax cause Parkinson's disease?
Summary: Parkinson's disease is found among people who take Xanax, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Sinemet, and have Parkinson's disease.
We study 55,103 people who have side effects while taking Xanax from FDA and social media. Among them, 106 have Parkinson's disease. Find out below who they are, when they have Parkinson's disease and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Xanax and have Parkinson's disease >>>
Xanax has active ingredients of alprazolam. It is often used in stress and anxiety. (latest outcomes from 59,062 Xanax users)
Parkinson's disease has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. (latest reports from 24,995 Parkinson's disease patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 55,093 people reported to have side effects when taking Xanax. Among them, 106 people (0.19%) have Parkinson's Disease.
Time on Xanax when people have Parkinson's disease * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Parkinson's disease||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||25.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Parkinson's disease when taking Xanax * :
|Parkinson's disease||78.95%||21.05% |
Age of people who have Parkinson's disease when taking Xanax * :
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||6.17%||9.88%||20.99%||62.96% |
Severity of Parkinson's disease when taking Xanax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Parkinson's disease ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Parkinson's disease (21 people, 19.81%)
- Osteoporosis (12 people, 11.32%)
- Anxiety (11 people, 10.38%)
- Multiple sclerosis (11 people, 10.38%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (9 people, 8.49%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Sinemet (28 people, 26.42%)
- Aspirin (22 people, 20.75%)
- Nexium (22 people, 20.75%)
- Paxil (21 people, 19.81%)
- Ambien (19 people, 17.92%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of xanax and parkinson's disease on
Do you have Parkinson's Disease while taking Xanax?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Xanax and have Parkinson's Disease
- support group for people who take Xanax
- support group for people who have Parkinson's Disease
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Xanax for a 21-year old woman with Anxiety. The patient has Occasional Outbreak Of What Seems Like Insect Bites Underneath My Thigh, Reflux, Dizziness
- A study of drug interactions between Bentyl, Ibuprofen, Phenergan, Xanax, Paxil for a 37-year old woman with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Pain, Nausea, Anxiety, Depression. The patient has Nose - Congested, Headache, Sensation Of Pressure In Ear
- A study of drug interactions between Seroquel, Remeron, Lexapro, Klonopin, Fluoxetine, Effexor Xr, Topamax, Risperdal, Restoril, Depakote, Adderall, Abilify, Zoloft, Xanax, Zyprexa, Geodon for a 44-year old woman with Depression, Migraine With Aura, Dpression, Sleep Disorder, Add, Depression - Chronic, Anxiety Disorder.
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Nuvigil, Alprazolam for a 54-year old woman with Pain - Back, Apnea - Sleep Apnea Syndrome, Anxiety Disorder.
- A study of side effects of Xanax for a 38-year old man with Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Anxiety Aggravated
Recent Xanax related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Clonidine Hydrochloride And Chlorthalidone, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Hydroxyzine Pamoate, Alprazolam for a 27-year old man who has Withdrawal From Opioids
- Comparions of Xyzal, Singulair, Lexapro, Xanax, Sonata for a 39-year old woman who has Sleep Disorder
- Comparions of Xanax, Clonazepam for a 46-year old woman who has Anxiety Disorder
- Comparions of Alprazolam, Quetiapine Fumarate, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Paroxetine Hydrochloride for a 28-year old man who has George
- Comparions of Luvox, Xanax for a 22-year old man who has Anxiety Disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.