Review: could Xanax cause Urinary retention?
Summary: Urinary retention is found among people who take Xanax, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ambien, and have Pain.
We study 55,093 people who have side effects while taking Xanax from FDA and social media. Among them, 378 have Urinary retention. Find out below who they are, when they have Urinary retention and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Xanax and have Urinary retention >>>
Xanax has active ingredients of alprazolam. It is often used in stress and anxiety. (latest outcomes from 59,051 Xanax users)
Urinary retention (the inability to completely or partially empty the bladder) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, depression, high blood pressure, pain, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 13,968 Urinary retention patients)
On Mar, 15, 2015: 55,076 people reported to have side effects when taking Xanax. Among them, 378 people (0.69%) have Urinary Retention.
Time on Xanax when people have Urinary retention * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Urinary retention||47.06%||11.76%||5.88%||23.53%||11.76%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Urinary retention when taking Xanax * :
|Urinary retention||71.86%||28.14% |
Age of people who have Urinary retention when taking Xanax * :
|Urinary retention||0.00%||0.27%||0.54%||5.63%||11.26%||19.03%||23.06%||40.21% |
Severity of Urinary retention when taking Xanax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Urinary retention||0.00%||33.33%||33.33%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Urinary retention ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Urinary retention||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (61 people, 16.14%)
- Depression (38 people, 10.05%)
- Anxiety (38 people, 10.05%)
- Breast cancer (26 people, 6.88%)
- Oedema (19 people, 5.03%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ambien (92 people, 24.34%)
- Neurontin (90 people, 23.81%)
- Lasix (86 people, 22.75%)
- Lyrica (75 people, 19.84%)
- Oxycontin (74 people, 19.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of xanax and urinary retention on
Do you have Urinary Retention while taking Xanax?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Xanax and have Urinary Retention
- support group for people who take Xanax
- support group for people who have Urinary Retention
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lansoprazole, Testosterone Cypionate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Tamsulosin, Levothyroxine Sodium, Finasteride, Lisinopril for a 57-year old man with Acid Reflux, Hypogonadism, Sleep Apnoea Syndrome, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Urine Flow Decreased, Thyroid Disorder, Enlarged Prostate, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Male Orgasmic Disorder, Enlarged Prostate, Urinary Retention, Sleep Apnoea Syndrome, Chronic Pain, Ed
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Levonorgestrel And Ethinyl Estradiol, Myrbetriq, Carafate, Protonix, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Rifampin, Cefuroxime, Xanax for a 39-year old woman with Low Vitamin D, Ovarian Cyst, Bladder, Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric, Muscle Relaxer, Neuropathy, Lyme Disease - Chronic Persistent, Anxiety.
- A study of side effects of Welchol for a 80-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Urinary Retention (the inability to completely or partially empty the bladder)
- A study of side effects of Xanax for a 24-year old woman with Anxiety. The patient has Heart Murmurs (extra or unusual sound heard during a heartbeat)
- A study of drug interactions between Zoloft, Xanax, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride for a 25-year old woman with Depression, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Hot Flashes, Nausea
Recent Xanax related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.