Review: could Zonisamide cause Serotonin syndrome?
Summary: Serotonin syndrome is found among people who take Zonisamide, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, also take medication Prochlorperazine, and have Pelvic pain.
We study 2,554 people who have side effects while taking Zonisamide from FDA and social media. Among them, 9 have Serotonin syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Serotonin syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Zonisamide and have Serotonin syndrome >>>
Zonisamide has active ingredients of zonisamide. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from 2,693 Zonisamide users)
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 6,559 Serotonin syndrome patients)
On Mar, 10, 2015: 2,554 people reported to have side effects when taking Zonisamide. Among them, 9 people (0.35%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Zonisamide when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide * :
|Serotonin syndrome||100.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide ** :
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pelvic pain (7 people, 77.78%)
- Pain (1 people, 11.11%)
- Dysuria (1 people, 11.11%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prochlorperazine (8 people, 88.89%)
- Gabapentin (8 people, 88.89%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (8 people, 88.89%)
- Buspirone hcl (8 people, 88.89%)
- Promethazine (8 people, 88.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Serotonin Syndrome while taking Zonisamide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Zonisamide and have Serotonin Syndrome
- support group for people who take Zonisamide
- support group for people who have Serotonin Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Zonisamide for a 33-year old man with Migraine Without Aura. The patient has Pain Inflammation Activated, Painful Red Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Tegretol, Zonisamide for a 29-year old woman with Petit Mal Seizure. The patient has Stress Symptoms
- A study of side effects of Celebrex for a 53-year old woman with Fibromyalgia. The patient has Serotonin Syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time)
- A study of side effects of Zonisamide for a 66-year old woman with Headache. The patient has Nervous System Disorder (a general class of medical conditions affecting the nervous system)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Nitroglycerin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Atenolol, Sertraline, Lorazepam, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Zetia, Crestor, Metformin, Zonisamide, Vimpat, Gabapentin for a 50-year old woman with Blood Thinner, Chest Pain, Angina, Heart Rate Decreased, Depression, Stress And Anxiety, Fluid Retention, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Diabetes, Neuropathy. The patient has Blurred Vision, Urination - Bed Wetting, Pain - Back, Bloating, Headache, Foot Pain, Pain - Leg
Recent Zonisamide related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Depakote, ONFI, Zonisamide, Lamictal, Ethosuximide for a 10-year old girl who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Clorazepate Dipotassium, Zonegran, Vimpat for a 15-year old boy who has Seizure Disorder
- Comparions of Zonisamide, Keppra, Onfi for a 10-year old girl who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Zonisamide, Primidone for a 48-year old woman who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Onfi, Keppra, Baclofen, Valium, Zonisamide for a 3-year old boy who has Seizure Disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.