Zonisamide and Serotonin syndrome - from FDA reports
Serotonin syndrome is found among people who take Zonisamide, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old also take medication Gabapentin, and have Pelvic pain. This review analyzes which people have Serotonin syndrome with Zonisamide. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 4,118 people who have side effects when taking Zonisamide from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Oct, 21, 2017
4,118 people reported to have side effects when taking Zonisamide.
Among them, 14 people (0.34%) have Serotonin syndrome
Number of reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide *:
- female: 76.92 %
- male: 23.08 %
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 23.08 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 76.92 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pelvic Pain (8 people, 57.14%)
- Bipolar Disorder (4 people, 28.57%)
- Abnormal Behavior (3 people, 21.43%)
- Urination - Painful (1 person, 7.14%)
- Pain (1 person, 7.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Prochlorperazine (9 people, 64.29%)
- Gabapentin (9 people, 64.29%)
- Levothyroxine Sodium (8 people, 57.14%)
- Citalopram Hydrobromide (8 people, 57.14%)
- Buspirone Hcl (8 people, 57.14%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Urinary Tract Infection (4 people, 28.57%)
- Rhabdomyolysis (4 people, 28.57%)
- Renal Failure Acute (3 people, 21.43%)
- Hyperhidrosis (2 people, 14.29%)
- Mydriasis (1 person, 7.14%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zonisamide?
- Check symptoms - is serotonin syndrome caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsSerotonin syndrome and drugs with ingredients of zonisamide.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeSerotonin syndrome and Zonisamide from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Zonisamide has active ingredients of zonisamide. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from Zonisamide 4,412 users)
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, insomnia (latest reports from 10,388 Serotonin syndrome patients).
Browse all side effects of Zonisamidea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Serotonin syndromeSerotonin syndrome
Could your condition cause Serotonin syndromeSerotonin syndrome
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I think I have serotonin syndrome which brought on a multiple sclerosis relapse only the doctor doesn't think so. I was diagnosed with MS Jan 2008 and had a relapse a month or two later. I haven't had one since until now. I eat healthy and exercise (I cycle and swim, nothing to strenuous)and ...
User reviews to the study
I have a cousin we just lost. She was 58 and she died in her sleep. She has been on multiple medications most of her adult life. She did take seroquel and migraine medicine. Has anybody in the group lost someone to seroquel syndrome?
Hi I know my answer is late Hi I know my answer is late for yout post, and I hope you are doing better today. I suffered severe serotonin syndrome in Jan and Feb 2016. Hospitalized and in ICU on ventilator for 3 days. I was taking cymbalta and psychiatrist ordered buspar. I took the buspar x2 ...
Fluvoxamine was my life saver and have been on it for years after failing many other SSRI and SNRI medications. I have very little to no side effects. It is also affordable for me. It helps with the obsessions and anxiety. It does make me drowsy so I take it at night. Klonopin has helped ...