Review: could Zyprexa cause Serotonin syndrome?
Summary: Serotonin syndrome is found among people who take Zyprexa, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Paxil, and have Depression.
We study 42,791 people who have side effects while taking Zyprexa from FDA and social media. Among them, 143 have Serotonin syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Serotonin syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Zyprexa and have Serotonin syndrome >>>
Zyprexa has active ingredients of olanzapine. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 43,502 Zyprexa users)
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 6,559 Serotonin syndrome patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 42,791 people reported to have side effects when taking Zyprexa. Among them, 143 people (0.33%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Zyprexa when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||27.27%||48.48%||0.00%||15.15%||6.06%||3.03%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa * :
|Serotonin syndrome||60.59%||39.41% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.75%||0.00%||6.77%||5.26%||18.05%||14.29%||21.80%||33.08% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa ** :
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (23 people, 16.08%)
- Bipolar disorder (17 people, 11.89%)
- Anxiety (14 people, 9.79%)
- Major depression (14 people, 9.79%)
- Schizophrenia (12 people, 8.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Paxil (37 people, 25.87%)
- Clonazepam (28 people, 19.58%)
- Seroquel (24 people, 16.78%)
- Trazodone hcl (24 people, 16.78%)
- Lorazepam (22 people, 15.38%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Zyprexa and serotonin syndrome on
Do you have Serotonin Syndrome while taking Zyprexa?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Zyprexa and have Serotonin Syndrome
- support group for people who take Zyprexa
- support group for people who have Serotonin Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Flomax, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Linzess, Miralax, Anturol, Olanzapine, Zetia, Nexium, Depakote, Benztropine Mesylate for a 40-year old man with Nocturia, Aggression, Constipation, Schizophrenia, Hyperlipidemia, Gerd, Bipolar Disorder, Medication Side Effects. The patient has Agap Low, Eosinophilia, Mental Status Tests, Leaning Left When Walking, Nocturia
- A study of side effects of Zyprexa for a 33-year old woman with Schizophrenia, Undifferentiated Type. The patient has Paranoia (psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur)
- A study of drug interactions between Olanzapine, Lithium Carbonate for a 27-year old woman with Mood Stabilizer, Bipolar Ii Disorder. The patient has Pancreatitis Acute, Laurazapan
- A study of side effects of Celebrex for a 53-year old woman with Fibromyalgia. The patient has Serotonin Syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time)
- A study of drug interactions between Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Zyprexa, Hydroxyurea for a 34-year old man with Sleep Disorder, Nerve Pain, Schizophrenia, Sickle Cell Anaemia With Crisis. The patient has Erectile Dysfunction
Recent Zyprexa related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Prozac, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
- Comparions of Norco, Olanzapine for a 95-year old man who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Olanzapine, Alprazolam for a 37-year old woman who has Anxiety Disorder
- Comparions of Clozaril, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Abilify, Risperidone for a 44-year old woman who has Schizophrenia
- Comparions of Buspar, Lamictal, Zyprexa, Zoloft for a 23-year old woman who has Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.