From FDA reports: Zyprexa and Serotonin syndrome
This is a study of Serotonin syndrome among people who take Zyprexa. The study analyzes: the time on Zyprexa when people have Serotonin syndrome, gender and age of these people, the severity of Serotonin syndrome, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Zyprexa. In total 41,631 Zyprexa users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: one drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question, and ensure only patients like you can answer it? Our Personalized Q&A can help. Start now
Zyprexa has active ingredients of olanzapine. It is used in bipolar disorder, depression, bipolar i disorder, stress and anxiety, schizophrenia. Commonly reported side effects of Zyprexa include diabetes, weight increased, type 2 diabetes, high blood cholesterol, pancreatitis.
Serotonin syndrome has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder.
On Jun, 16, 2013: 41,631 people reported to have side effects when taking Zyprexa. Among them, 140 people (0.34%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Zyprexa when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||27.27%||48.48%||0.00%||15.15%||6.06%||3.03%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa * :
|Serotonin syndrome||61.08%||38.92% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.77%||0.00%||6.15%||5.38%||18.46%||14.62%||22.31%||32.31% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Zyprexa ** :
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (21 people, 15.00%)
- Bipolar disorder (17 people, 12.14%)
- Major depression (14 people, 10.00%)
- Anxiety (14 people, 10.00%)
- Schizophrenia (12 people, 8.57%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Paxil (37 people, 26.43%)
- Clonazepam (28 people, 20.00%)
- Seroquel (24 people, 17.14%)
- Trazodone hcl (24 people, 17.14%)
- Lorazepam (22 people, 15.71%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether serotonin syndrome is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Zyprexa (olanzapine) is often used for bipolar disorder. Find out below the conditions Zyprexa is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Zyprexa used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Zyprexa side effects from A to Z:
Browse Zyprexa drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Related personalized Q&As (what is this?):
- I have short term memory and i want to know if the medications i'm taking for bipolar is the reason for the memory loss.
(for a 51 year old man who has Bipolar Disorder, and takes Lithium Carbonate, Geodon , Vistaril, Olanzapine)
I used to have a pretty decent memory for a man who just turned 51. I recently been diagnosed 3 months ago and it's been a rough ride so far. The main thing that scares me that I will forget things or the idea that I won't remember portions of my life.
Please advise. I need help.
- Can olanzapine when prescribed off label cause you to become psychotic
(for a 56 year old woman who has Anxiety And Depression, and takes Zyprexa)
I have been taking trazodone for about 7 years and had no side effects. Then the doctor said that it was not working any more. I was losing some weight. He then put me on olanzapine and the side effects have become horrendous. I have only been taking olanzapine for 5 weeks and have been violentl ...
Recent related drug checks on eHealthMe:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- ASA, Vitamin D, Actonel, Omeprazole, Synthroid, Glipizide, Warfarin Sodium, LESCOL XL for a 61-year old woman who has TIA, LOW VITAMIN D, Osteopetrosis, GERD, Hypothyroidism, DIAABETIC, DVT, ELEVATED CHLORESTEROL (4 minutes ago)
- Zocor for a 60-year old woman who has Acidosis (40 minutes ago)
- Metformin, Hydrochlorothiazide, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Viibryd for a 50-year old woman who has Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Insomnia, Low Thyroid Hormone, Depression (48 minutes ago)
- Atenolol, Aspirin for a 79-year old woman who has High Blood Pressure, Prophalytic (1 hour ago)
- Clindamycin Hydrochloride for a 50-year old woman who has Canker Sores And Blisters (1 hour ago)
- Levothyroxine Sodium, Sertraline, Metoprolol Succinate for a 47-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Depression, High Blood Pressure (1 hour ago)
- Ibuprofen for a 39-year old woman who has Carpal Tunnel (1 hour ago)
- Rifampin for a 67-year old woman who has Lyme Disease - Chronic Persistent (1 hour ago)
- Levothyroxine Thyroid, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Cymbalta for a 64-year old woman who has Thyroid Disorder, ADD, Depression Postmenopausal (1 hour ago)
- Tenex, Zoloft for a 8-year old boy who has Adhd, Ocd (2 hours ago)