Review: Kava side effects
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 2, 2014)
Overall severity ratings: 2.7/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
This is a review of Kava side effects by studying 11 people who take Kava. We analyze Kava side effects by the time on the drug, gender and age (0-60+) of the users. The review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
What is Kava
Kava (latest outcomes from 21 users) has active ingredients of kava. It is often used in stress and anxiety.
It can also be called: Ava Pepper, Ava Root, Awa, Gea, Gi, Intoxicating Long Pepper, Intoxicating Pepper, Kao, Kavain, Kavapipar, Kawa Kawa, Kawa Pepper, Kawapfeffer, Kew, Long Pepper, Maori Kava, Malohu, Maluk, Meruk, Milik, Piper methysticum, Rauschpfeffer, Rhizome Di Kava-Kava, Sakau, Tonga, Wurzelstock, Yagona, Yangona, Yaqona, Yongona.
On Mar, 9, 2014: 13 people who reported to have side effects when taking Kava are studied
Most common Kava side effects*:
If people were to have side effects while taking Kava, what are they:
(1) Anxiety: 4 reports. It's more common among males aged 50-59 years old, and can be severe
(2) Lethargy (tiredness): 4 reports. It's more common among males aged 50-59 years old
(3) Disorientation (disability in which the senses of time, direction, and recognition of people and places): 4 reports. It's more common among males aged 50-59 years old
(4) Back Pain: 2 reports.
(5) Blood Glucose Increased: 2 reports.
(6) Intervertebral Disc Protrusion (spinal disc protrusion): 1 report.
(7) Ankle Impingement (ankle impingement occurs when soft tissues around the ankle are pinched or nipped): 1 report.
(8) Multiple Sclerosis (a nervous system disease that affects your brain and spinal cord. it damages the myelin sheath): 1 report.
(9) Spondylolisthesis (displacement of a vertebra or the vertebral column in relation to the vertebrae below): 1 report.
If people were to have side effects after taking Kava for a long term (> 1 year), what are they:
(1) Rash Generalised (rash on most of body parts): 2 reports.
(2) Anxiety: 2 reports.
(3) High Blood Pressure: 1 report.
(4) Depression: 1 report.
Kava side effects by gender*:
Kava side effects in women:
(1) Synovitis: 1 report.
(2) Stress urinary incontinence: 1 report.
(3) Tendon disorder: 1 report.
(4) Tibia fracture: 1 report.
(5) Bladder disorder: 1 report.
(6) Femur fracture: 1 report.
(7) Intervertebral disc protrusion: 1 report.
(8) Spondylolisthesis: 1 report.
(9) Multiple sclerosis: 1 report.
(10) Ankle impingement: 1 report.
Kava side effects in men:
(1) Lethargy: 2 reports.
(2) Blood glucose increased: 2 reports.
(3) Anxiety: 2 reports.
(4) Back pain: 2 reports.
(5) Drug interaction: 2 reports.
(6) Disorientation: 2 reports.
(7) Akathisia: 1 report.
(8) Blister: 1 report.
(9) Agitation: 1 report.
(10) Abdominal distension: 1 report.
Kava side effects by age*:
Kava side effects in children aged 0-1:
Kava side effects in children aged 2-9:
Kava side effects in people aged 10-19:
Kava side effects in people aged 20-29:
(1) Pulmonary embolism: 1 report.
(2) Cholecystitis: 1 report.
(3) Hepatitis: 1 report.
(4) Hepatitis acute: 1 report.
(5) Overheating: 1 report.
Kava side effects in people aged 30-39:
(1) Malaise: 1 report.
(2) Mental status changes: 1 report.
(3) Rash: 1 report.
(4) Jaundice: 1 report.
(5) Headache: 1 report.
(6) Abdominal pain: 1 report.
(7) Coagulopathy: 1 report.
(8) Diarrhoea: 1 report.
(9) Stretch marks: 1 report.
Kava side effects in people aged 40-49:
Kava side effects in people aged 50-59:
(1) Lethargy: 2 reports.
(2) Drug interaction: 2 reports.
(3) Disorientation: 2 reports.
(4) Synovitis: 1 report.
(5) Stress urinary incontinence: 1 report.
(6) Tendon disorder: 1 report.
(7) Bladder disorder: 1 report.
(8) Femur fracture: 1 report.
(9) Tibia fracture: 1 report.
(10) Night sweats: 1 report.
Kava side effects in people aged 60+:
(1) Blood glucose increased: 2 reports.
(2) Back pain: 2 reports.
(3) Rash generalised: 1 report.
(4) Anxiety: 1 report.
(5) Depression: 1 report.
(6) High blood pressure: 1 report.
* Some reports may have incomplete information.
Browse Kava side effects from A to Z:
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Kava
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Kava (kava) is often used for stress and anxiety. Find out below the conditions Kava is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Kava used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Studies of common Kava drug interactions:
Browse Kava drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Comments from related studies:
From this study (6 months ago):
I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibro Myalgia, Wilsons Syndrome and Hashimoto's Disease for 22 years. I suffered an injury to the pelvic floor this last summer and am now experiencing spikes in blood pressure, anxiety that awakens me suddenly from sleep and sets in shortly after breakfast and general non-specific depression. I am wondering if one or more of these meds might be causing these three symptoms or contributing to any of them. Thank you.
More questions for: Kava
More reviews for: Kava
Recent Kava related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Valeriana Officinalis, Rhizome Di Kava-Kava, Omega 3, Calcium Magnesium Inositol Hexaphosphate, Glucosamine Sulfate, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Tribulus Terrestris, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Multivitamin, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Soma, Meloxicam, Levothyroxine Sodium, Methadone Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Losartan for a patient with Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Anxiety, Routine Health Maintenance, Sexual Dysfunction, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain, Thyroid Disorder, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Hypertension. The patient has High Blood Pressure, Depression, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety)
More related studies for: Kava
Recent Kava related drug comparison:
More related comparison studies for: Kava
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.