Diabetes and A-fib - from FDA reports
A-fib is found among people with Diabetes, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, take medication Avandia and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have A-fib with Diabetes. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 3,105 people who have Diabetes from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
3,105 people who have Diabetes and A-Fib are studied.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Diabetes and experience A-Fib *:
- female: 41.44 %
- male: 58.56 %
Age of people who have Diabetes and experience A-Fib *:
- 0-1: 0.13 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.38 %
- 20-29: 0.38 %
- 30-39: 0.77 %
- 40-49: 5.3 %
- 50-59: 23.03 %
- 60+: 70.0 %
Top co-existing conditions for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure: 469 people, 15.10%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 240 people, 7.73%
- Preventive Health Care: 111 people, 3.57%
- Type 2 Diabetes: 98 people, 3.16%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 90 people, 2.90%
Most common drugs for these people *:
- Avandia: 1,920 people, 61.84%
- Metformin: 332 people, 10.69%
- Avandamet: 331 people, 10.66%
- Lasix: 292 people, 9.40%
- Lipitor: 205 people, 6.60%
Top symptoms for these people *:
- Cardiac Failure Congestive: 1,253 people, 40.35%
- Heart Attack: 861 people, 27.73%
- Coronary Heart Disease (narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries): 573 people, 18.45%
- Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen): 339 people, 10.92%
- Cardiac Disorder: 217 people, 6.99%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have A-fib with Diabetes?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes A-fib
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
Diabetes can be treated by Metformin, Metformin hydrochloride, Lantus, Januvia, Glipizide (latest reports from 291,118 Diabetes patients)
A-fib (most common type of arrhythmia) has been reported by people with atrial fibrillation/flutter, high blood pressure, diabetes, multiple myeloma, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 181,342 A-fib patients).
Drugs that are associated with A-fibA-fib (3,045 drugs)
Other conditions that could cause A-fibA-fib (2,733 conditions)
Browse all symptoms of Diabetesa b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeA-fib and Diabetes from FDA and eHealthMe reports (3,121 reports)
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who have Diabetes and A-Fib
- Support group for people who have Diabetes (202 members)
- Support group for people who have A-Fib (622 members)
Can you answer these questions
- Will promethazine make my heart speed up
- when metformin was used for my diabetes my complete metabolic panel was normal but sitagliptin was added and my kidney function started getting abnormal. I stopped taking metformin per my md and 3months later my kidney functions got worse. lactic acid level also went up.
- My question is, I was diagnosed with Necrobisis Lipoidica Diabeticorum. It's very rare (0.03%) of diabetics have this condition. Does anyone else have this condition?
- Januvia has been burning my skin for about 3-4 weeks. I take it for my diabetes.
- I recently had a terrible case of pneumonia, then I had a heart attack due to breathing problems. My cardio doctor has put me on Crestor and Plavix and dropped my simvastin and amolydine besylate. I have been on these new drugs for only 11 days now. I am concerned that I now have such tiredness...
You may be interested in these posts
- When did your atrial fibrillation start - before or after your first dose of Prolia?
- My name is Tammy Ingram, I am 56 years old. I have been a diabetic over 30 year's. Recently found out that I have charcots foot disease.
- I’ve been diagnosed with rapid onset diabetes after a reclast infusion. I am not overweight. I have a good diet and exercise moderately. I took Prilosec for Gerd for several years, but weaned myself off and instead use Pepcid and tums. I have Sjorgen’s as well.
- I'm a T1D (26 years) Just got diagnosed w ilieits this week. Hoping it's only infectious and goes away... the steroids are killing my sugars! Basal rates are at 3x and bolus is at 2x... hoping this comes out ok..
- I have been on lotensin for two months which I was put on for afib. The other day I bent down and passed out. My regular activity is going to the gym which I have no problem working out with weights. I also shovel snow and do any other chores needed. I was wondering if this has happened to...
- Will you have Psychiatric Evaluation Abnormal with Abilify?
- Will you have Ear Discharge with Fetzima?
- Will you have Incisional Hernia with Atherosclerosis?
- Will you have Arrhythmias with Prempro?
- Will you have Arrhythmia with Prempro?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Abilify and have Psychiatric Evaluation Abnormal?
- Support group for people who take Fetzima and have Ear Discharge?
- Support group for people who have Atherosclerosis and Incisional Hernia?
- Support group for people who take Prempro and have Arrhythmias?
- Support group for people who take Prempro and have Arrhythmia?
- What to expect when you take Abilify and have Psychiatric Evaluation Abnormal?
- What to expect when you take Fetzima and have Ear Discharge?
- What to expect when you have Atherosclerosis and Incisional Hernia?
- What to expect when you take Prempro and have Arrhythmias?
- What to expect when you take Prempro and have Arrhythmia?
- A study for a 27 year old woman who takes Sprintec
- A study for a 58 year old woman who takes Tegretol, Acyclovir
- A study for a 62 year old woman who takes Armour Thyroid, Vitamin D3, Vimpat, Atorvastatin Calcium, Omeprazole, Alora, Codeine Sulfate, Chlor-trimeton
- A study for a 77 year old woman who takes Flonase Allergy Relief
- A study for a 25 year old woman who takes Cosentyx
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.