Acetaminophen and Anaphylaxis - from FDA reports
Anaphylaxis is found among people who take Acetaminophen, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Anaphylaxis with Acetaminophen. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 74,615 people who have side effects when taking Acetaminophen from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 29, 2017
74,615 people reported to have side effects when taking Acetaminophen.
Among them, 490 people (0.66%) have Anaphylaxis
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Acetaminophen when people have Anaphylaxis *:
- < 1 month: 100 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Anaphylaxis when taking Acetaminophen *:
- female: 58.49 %
- male: 41.51 %
Age of people who have Anaphylaxis when taking Acetaminophen *:
- 0-1: 0.23 %
- 2-9: 5.48 %
- 10-19: 8.45 %
- 20-29: 9.59 %
- 30-39: 11.87 %
- 40-49: 13.7 %
- 50-59: 19.63 %
- 60+: 31.05 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (33 people, 6.73%)
- Preventive Health Care (17 people, 3.47%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (13 people, 2.65%)
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (9 people, 1.84%)
- Back Pain (9 people, 1.84%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aspirin (50 people, 10.20%)
- Prednisolone (30 people, 6.12%)
- Ibuprofen (30 people, 6.12%)
- Furosemide (26 people, 5.31%)
- Simvastatin (25 people, 5.10%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Hypotension (77 people, 15.71%)
- Breathing Difficulty (56 people, 11.43%)
- Urticaria (43 people, 8.78%)
- Rashes (38 people, 7.76%)
- Chest Pain (34 people, 6.94%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Anaphylaxis when taking Acetaminophen?
- Check symptoms - is anaphylaxis caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsAnaphylaxis and drugs with ingredients of acetaminophen.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeAnaphylaxis and Acetaminophen from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Acetaminophen has active ingredients of acetaminophen. It is often used in pain. (latest outcomes from Acetaminophen 76,319 users)
Anaphylaxis (serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death) has been reported by people with asthma, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, preventive health care (latest reports from 44,956 Anaphylaxis patients).
Browse all side effects of Acetaminophena b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with AnaphylaxisAnaphylaxis
Could your condition cause AnaphylaxisAnaphylaxis
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Azkur D, Yoldas T, Toyran M, Kocabas CN, "A pediatric case of anaphylaxis due to octreotide", Asian Pacific journal of allergy and immunology, 2011 Dec .
- Anđelić N, Erdeljan S, Popović R, Božić T, "Anaphylaxis on graft reperfusion during orthotopic liver transplantation: A case study", Srpski arhiv za celokupno lekarstvo, 2012 Jan .
- Thangakunam B, Christopher DJ, Mathews V, Srivastava A, "Mesenchymal stromal stem cell therapy in advanced interstitial lung disease-Anaphylaxis and short-term follow-up", Lung India: official organ of Indian Chest Society, 2015 Jan .
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Did the members of this group develop OH when taking Acetaminophen or was it pre-existing condition that worsened with acetaminophen? I had dizzy spells before but did not actually develop near syncope episodes until taking 2-6 tablets daily for pain of what turned out to be broken wrist. Took ...
I took Avelox and within about 15 minutes went into anaphylactic shock. I first had itchy, burning eyes and went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and saw that my eyes were so red I looked like the devil! At that point my arms and legs were itching and I noticed they were very swollen. I ...
I have been diagnosed with idiopathic anaphylaxis. Each time I had anaphylaxis and anaphylactic shock, I took pantoprazole for acid reflux. My doctor says that he doubts this is the cause as my symptoms are delayed...usually about 4-6 hrs. Has anyone experienced that type of a severe delayed ...
User posts to the study
I'm a 73yo male. My knee hurts a lot, so last week my orthopedist gave me a cortizone shot and told me to use ice and take tylenol so I could walk my daughter down the aisle at her wedding. I did. But after taking six 500mg Tylenol a day for 4 days, I started feeling jittery and did not sleep ...
I’ve been taking Tylenol for years. Now at the age of 67, 1 pill, causes diarrhea & nausea & cramping in my lower intestines. No vomiting. Takes 36 hours for it to go away. My gosh, I can’t believe it. Now I suffer with aches & pains. So afraid to take it anymore. Any suggestions or help would ...