Alendronate sodium and Oesophageal carcinoma - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Oesophageal carcinoma is found among people who take Alendronate sodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Alendronate sodium and have Oesophageal carcinoma. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 36,457 people who have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
36,457 people reported to have side effects when taking Alendronate sodium.
Among them, 34 people (0.09%) have Oesophageal carcinoma.
What is Alendronate sodium?
Alendronate sodium has active ingredients of alendronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. eHealthMe is studying from 37,110 Alendronate sodium users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Oesophageal carcinoma?
Oesophageal carcinoma (cancer tumour of oesophagus) is found to be associated with 759 drugs and 388 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Alendronate sodium and Oesophageal carcinoma reports submitted per year:
Time on Alendronate sodium when people have Oesophageal carcinoma *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 25 %
- 2 - 5 years: 20 %
- 5 - 10 years: 55 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Oesophageal carcinoma when taking Alendronate sodium *:
- female: 51.72 %
- male: 48.28 %
Age of people who have Oesophageal carcinoma when taking Alendronate sodium *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 17.24 %
- 60+: 82.76 %
Common drugs people take besides Alendronate sodium *:
- Lansoprazole: 4 people, 11.76%
- Amlodipine: 4 people, 11.76%
- Methotrexate: 4 people, 11.76%
- Humira: 3 people, 8.82%
- Spiriva: 3 people, 8.82%
- Folic Acid: 3 people, 8.82%
- Atenolol: 3 people, 8.82%
- Naproxen: 3 people, 8.82%
- Digoxin: 2 people, 5.88%
- Ferrous Fumarate: 2 people, 5.88%
Common side effects people have besides Oesophageal carcinoma *:
- Swallowing Difficulty: 3 people, 8.82%
- Pneumonia: 2 people, 5.88%
- Hemiparesis (weakness on one side of the body): 1 person, 2.94%
- Femur Fracture: 1 person, 2.94%
- Fractured Ischium: 1 person, 2.94%
- Fractured Sacrum: 1 person, 2.94%
- Gastric Cancer (stomach cancer): 1 person, 2.94%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 1 person, 2.94%
- Haemorrhage (bleeding): 1 person, 2.94%
- High Blood Pressure: 1 person, 2.94%
Common conditions people have *:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints): 3 people, 8.82%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 2 people, 5.88%
- Asthma: 2 people, 5.88%
- Psoriasis (immune-mediated disease that affects the skin): 1 person, 2.94%
- Osteoarthritis (a joint disease caused by cartilage loss in a joint): 1 person, 2.94%
- Ill-Defined Disorder: 1 person, 2.94%
- High Blood Pressure: 1 person, 2.94%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 1 person, 2.94%
- Erosive Oesophagitis (acid reflux disease can cause tissue damage in the oesophagus over time): 1 person, 2.94%
- Diabetes: 1 person, 2.94%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Alendronate sodium and have Oesophageal carcinoma?Check whether Oesophageal carcinoma is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Stuckey BG, Sallie R, "Alendronate-induced unmasking or deterioration of coeliac disease: a case series", Osteoporosis International, 2015 Jan .
- Lee WY, Sun LM, Lin MC, Liang JA, Chang SN, Sung FC, Muo CH, Kao CH, "A higher dosage of oral alendronate will increase the subsequent cancer risk of osteoporosis patients in Taiwan: a population-based cohort study", PloS one, 2012 Dec .
How severe was Oesophageal carcinoma and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of alendronate sodium:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Alendronate sodium:
- Alendronate sodium (37,110 reports)
Common Alendronate sodium side effects:
- Pain: 5,043 reports
- Drug ineffective: 4,933 reports
- Joint pain: 4,792 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 4,521 reports
- Rashes (redness): 4,043 reports
- High blood pressure: 3,988 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints): 3,870 reports
Browse all side effects of Alendronate sodium:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Oesophageal carcinoma treatments and more:
- Oesophageal carcinoma (33,075 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Oesophageal carcinoma:
- Oesophageal carcinoma in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Oesophageal carcinoma in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Oesophageal carcinoma in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Oesophageal carcinoma:
- Zantac: 18,962 reports
- Ranitidine: 8,936 reports
- Nexium: 245 reports
- Omeprazole: 199 reports
- Prednisolone: 172 reports
- Methotrexate: 170 reports
- Prednisone: 162 reports
- Humira: 148 reports
- Clozaril: 136 reports
- Enbrel: 125 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Oesophageal carcinoma:
- Oesophageal carcinoma (759 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Oesophageal carcinoma:
- Indigestion: 15,098 reports
- Gastric ulcer: 1,508 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 271 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 175 reports
- High blood pressure: 171 reports
- Osteoporosis: 156 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Oesophageal carcinoma:
- Oesophageal carcinoma (388 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on alendronate sodium (the active ingredients of Alendronate sodium) and Alendronate sodium (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Progesterone and Chest Pain - 3 seconds ago
- Multivitamin and Triamcinolone drug interaction - 5 seconds ago
- Doxylamine Succinate and Hypoglycemia - 18 seconds ago
- Levaquin vs. Sudafed 12 Hour - 19 seconds ago
- Tekturna and Renal Failure - Acute - 28 seconds ago
- Tekturna and Acute Kidney Failure - 29 seconds ago
- Metformin and Inflammation - 39 seconds ago
- Prednisone and Kidney Infection - 44 seconds ago
- Cymbalta and Blood Potassium Decreased - 48 seconds ago
- Methylcobalamin and Tinnitus - 54 seconds ago