Allopurinol and Ototoxicity - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Ototoxicity is found among people who take Allopurinol, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Allopurinol and have Ototoxicity. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 150,123 people who have side effects when taking Allopurinol from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe enables everyone to run phase IV clinical trial to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor effectiveness. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Most recently, phase IV clinial trails for COVID 19 vaccines have been added, check here.
150,123 people reported to have side effects when taking Allopurinol.
Among them, 10 people (0.01%) have Ototoxicity.
What is Allopurinol?
Allopurinol has active ingredients of allopurinol. It is often used in gout. eHealthMe is studying from 152,479 Allopurinol users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Ototoxicity?
Ototoxicity (damage to the ear) is found to be associated with 588 drugs and 319 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Allopurinol and Ototoxicity reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Ototoxicity when taking Allopurinol *:
- female: 55.56 %
- male: 44.44 %
Age of people who have Ototoxicity when taking Allopurinol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 100 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Allopurinol *:
- Cisplatin: 6 people, 60.00%
- Dactinomycin: 6 people, 60.00%
- Etoposide: 5 people, 50.00%
- Methotrexate: 4 people, 40.00%
- Carboplatin: 4 people, 40.00%
- Ondansetron: 4 people, 40.00%
- Aprepitant: 3 people, 30.00%
- Sodium Chloride: 3 people, 30.00%
- Sodium Bicarbonate: 3 people, 30.00%
- Solu-Medrol: 2 people, 20.00%
Common side effects people have besides Ototoxicity *:
- Septic Embolus (a type of embolism that is infected with bacteria): 4 people, 40.00%
- Pancytopenia (medical condition in which there is a reduction in the number of red and white blood cells, as well as platelets): 4 people, 40.00%
- Neutropenic Sepsis (whole body infection is caused by a condition in which the number of white blood cells (called neutrophils) in the blood is low. neutrophils help the body to fight infection): 4 people, 40.00%
- Endocarditis (inflammation in heart muscle): 4 people, 40.00%
- Diabetic Hyperosmolar Coma (diabetes coma due to extremely high blood sugar (glucose) levels; extreme lack of water (dehydration)): 3 people, 30.00%
- Hypoacusis (loss of hearing): 2 people, 20.00%
- Drug Resistance (reduction in effectiveness of a drug): 2 people, 20.00%
- Renal Failure Acute (rapid kidney dysfunction): 1 person, 10.00%
- Mental Status Changes (general changes in brain function, such as confusion, amnesia (memory loss), loss of alertness, loss of orientation): 1 person, 10.00%
- Fever: 1 person, 10.00%
Common conditions people have *:
- Gestational Trophoblastic Tumor: 3 people, 30.00%
- Metastatic Choriocarcinoma (cancer of embryo covering cells can spread to other part): 2 people, 20.00%
- Urate Nephropathy (disease or abnormality of the kidney): 1 person, 10.00%
- Pain: 1 person, 10.00%
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer (cancer of nasopharynx): 1 person, 10.00%
- Malignant Hydatidiform Mole (a cancer tumour of trophoblast cells): 1 person, 10.00%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Allopurinol and have Ototoxicity?Check whether Ototoxicity is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Allopurinol:
- Allopurinol (152,479 reports)
Ototoxicity treatments and more:
- Ototoxicity (1,631 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Ototoxicity in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Ototoxicity in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
How severe was Ototoxicity and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of allopurinol:
Common drugs associated with Ototoxicity:
All the drugs that are associated with Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity (588 drugs)
All the conditions that are associated with Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity (319 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on allopurinol (the active ingredients of Allopurinol) and Allopurinol (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.