Alphagan and Hypokalemia - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Hypokalemia is found among people who take Alphagan, especially for people who are female, 60+ old.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Alphagan and have Hypokalemia. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 9,064 people who have side effects when taking Alphagan from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
9,064 people reported to have side effects when taking Alphagan.
Among them, 69 people (0.76%) have Hypokalemia.
What is Alphagan?
Alphagan has active ingredients of brimonidine tartrate. It is often used in glaucoma. eHealthMe is studying from 9,240 Alphagan users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Hypokalemia?
Hypokalemia (low potassium) is found to be associated with 3,195 drugs and 2,902 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Alphagan and Hypokalemia reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Hypokalemia when taking Alphagan *:
- female: 82.61 %
- male: 17.39 %
Age of people who have Hypokalemia when taking Alphagan *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 1.45 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 30.43 %
- 60+: 68.12 %
Common drugs people take besides Alphagan *:
- Lasix: 38 people, 55.07%
- Neurontin: 34 people, 49.28%
- Zometa: 32 people, 46.38%
- Morphine: 31 people, 44.93%
- Aredia: 31 people, 44.93%
- Oxycontin: 29 people, 42.03%
- Gabapentin: 29 people, 42.03%
- Furosemide: 27 people, 39.13%
- Vancomycin: 27 people, 39.13%
- Morphine Sulfate: 25 people, 36.23%
Common side effects people have besides Hypokalemia *:
- Oedema Peripheral (superficial swelling): 37 people, 53.62%
- Stress And Anxiety: 37 people, 53.62%
- Pneumonia: 35 people, 50.72%
- Pain: 32 people, 46.38%
- Pleural Effusion (water on the lungs): 30 people, 43.48%
- Anaemia (lack of blood): 30 people, 43.48%
- Fall: 30 people, 43.48%
- Azotaemia (excess of urea or other nitrogenous compounds in the blood): 29 people, 42.03%
- Breathing Difficulty: 28 people, 40.58%
- Atelectasis (partial or complete collapse of the lung): 28 people, 40.58%
Common conditions people have *:
- Pain: 5 people, 7.25%
- Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles): 4 people, 5.80%
- Cardiac Disorder: 4 people, 5.80%
- Psoriasis (immune-mediated disease that affects the skin): 3 people, 4.35%
- Staphylococcal Bacteraemia (a bacterial infection of blood): 2 people, 2.90%
- Constipation: 2 people, 2.90%
- Convulsion (muscles contract and relax rapidly and repeatedly, resulting in an uncontrolled shaking of the body): 2 people, 2.90%
- Cough: 2 people, 2.90%
- High Blood Pressure: 2 people, 2.90%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 1 person, 1.45%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Alphagan and have Hypokalemia?Check whether Hypokalemia is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Izgi C, Erdem G, Mansuroglu D, Kurtoglu N, Kara M, Gunesdogdu F, "Severe hypokalemia probably associated with sertraline use", Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 2014 Jan .
How severe was Hypokalemia and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of brimonidine tartrate:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Alphagan:
- Alphagan (9,240 reports)
Common Alphagan side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 607 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 495 reports
- Weakness: 479 reports
- Dizziness: 438 reports
- Breathing difficulty: 434 reports
Browse all side effects of Alphagan:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Hypokalemia treatments and more:
- Hypokalemia (63,284 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Hypokalemia:
- Hypokalemia in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Hypokalemia in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Hypokalemia in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Hypokalemia:
- Furosemide: 4,185 reports
- Lasix: 2,888 reports
- Aspirin: 2,861 reports
- Prednisone: 2,830 reports
- Omeprazole: 2,779 reports
- Amlodipine: 2,473 reports
- Zide: 2,450 reports
- Hydrochlorothiazide: 2,439 reports
- Pantoprazole: 2,312 reports
- Metformin: 1,789 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Hypokalemia:
- Hypokalemia (3,195 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Hypokalemia:
- High blood pressure: 6,442 reports
- Pain: 2,074 reports
- Depression: 1,775 reports
- Multiple myeloma: 1,692 reports
- Osteoporosis: 1,685 reports
- Breast cancer: 1,172 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Hypokalemia:
- Hypokalemia (2,902 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on brimonidine tartrate (the active ingredients of Alphagan) and Alphagan (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Revlimid and Paraplatin drug interaction - 3 seconds ago
- Lenalidomide and Aciphex drug interaction - 4 seconds ago
- Acute Kidney Failure and Blood Creatine Phosphokinase Increased - 12 seconds ago
- Serzone and Dental Fistula - 14 seconds ago
- Stendra and Ejaculation Disorder - 31 seconds ago
- Acetic Acid and Ciprodex drug interaction - 41 seconds ago
- Tequin and Azotaemia - 42 seconds ago
- Irbesartan and Humalog Kwikpen drug interaction - 45 seconds ago
- Coumadin and Crohn'S Disease Aggravated - a minute ago
- Flomax and Vitamin D Increased - a minute ago