Asacol and Cardiomyopathy - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Cardiomyopathy is found among people who take Asacol, especially for people who are male, 60+ old.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Asacol and have Cardiomyopathy. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 17,445 people who have side effects when taking Asacol from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
17,445 people reported to have side effects when taking Asacol.
Among them, 23 people (0.13%) have Cardiomyopathy.
What is Asacol?
Asacol has active ingredients of mesalamine. It is often used in ulcerative colitis. eHealthMe is studying from 18,163 Asacol users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Cardiomyopathy?
Cardiomyopathy (weakening of the heart muscle) is found to be associated with 1,843 drugs and 1,169 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Asacol and Cardiomyopathy reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Cardiomyopathy when taking Asacol *:
- female: 30.43 %
- male: 69.57 %
Age of people who have Cardiomyopathy when taking Asacol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 4.76 %
- 20-29: 4.76 %
- 30-39: 19.05 %
- 40-49: 28.57 %
- 50-59: 9.52 %
- 60+: 33.33 %
Common drugs people take besides Asacol *:
- Remicade: 12 people, 52.17%
- Prednisone: 8 people, 34.78%
- Imuran: 5 people, 21.74%
- Coumadin: 4 people, 17.39%
- Lisinopril: 4 people, 17.39%
- Digoxin: 3 people, 13.04%
- Tylenol: 3 people, 13.04%
- Vancomycin: 3 people, 13.04%
- Humira: 3 people, 13.04%
- Flagyl: 3 people, 13.04%
Common side effects people have besides Cardiomyopathy *:
- Cardiac Failure Congestive: 9 people, 39.13%
- Mitral Valve Incompetence (inefficient heart valve): 4 people, 17.39%
- Breathing Difficulty: 3 people, 13.04%
- Pleural Effusion (water on the lungs): 3 people, 13.04%
- Chest Pain: 3 people, 13.04%
- Weight Decreased: 3 people, 13.04%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 3 people, 13.04%
- Left Ventricular Failure (left ventricle fails to contract forcefully): 2 people, 8.70%
- Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (the thickening of the myocardium (muscle) of the left ventricle of the heart): 2 people, 8.70%
- Fall: 2 people, 8.70%
Common conditions people have *:
- Stress And Anxiety: 1 person, 4.35%
- Pain: 1 person, 4.35%
- Osteopenia (a condition where bone mineral density is lower than normal): 1 person, 4.35%
- Multiple Sclerosis (a nervous system disease that affects your brain and spinal cord. it damages the myelin sheath): 1 person, 4.35%
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: 1 person, 4.35%
- High Blood Pressure: 1 person, 4.35%
- Gout (uric acid crystals building up in the body): 1 person, 4.35%
- Coronary Heart Disease (narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries): 1 person, 4.35%
- Cardiac Failure Congestive: 1 person, 4.35%
- Breathing Difficulty: 1 person, 4.35%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Asacol and have Cardiomyopathy?Check whether Cardiomyopathy is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Jacobsson H, Eriksen J, Karlén P, "Mesalazine-induced renal calculi", The American journal of case reports, 2015 Jan .
How severe was Cardiomyopathy and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of mesalamine:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Asacol:
- Asacol (18,163 reports)
Common Asacol side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 1,840 reports
- Diarrhea: 1,794 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 1,588 reports
- Ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease (ibd). it causes swelling, ulcerations, and loss of function of the large intestine): 1,499 reports
- Joint pain: 1,222 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 1,056 reports
- Weight decreased: 1,020 reports
Browse all side effects of Asacol:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Cardiomyopathy treatments and more:
- Cardiomyopathy (20,121 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Cardiomyopathy:
- Cardiomyopathy in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Cardiomyopathy in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Cardiomyopathy in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Cardiomyopathy:
- Aspirin: 1,332 reports
- Avandia: 1,307 reports
- Prednisone: 1,247 reports
- Lasix: 1,216 reports
- Furosemide: 1,051 reports
- Lisinopril: 924 reports
- Cyclophosphamide: 913 reports
- Digoxin: 911 reports
- Coreg: 794 reports
- Vioxx: 758 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Cardiomyopathy:
- Cardiomyopathy (1,843 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Cardiomyopathy:
- Diabetes: 1,078 reports
- High blood pressure: 697 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 600 reports
- Breast cancer: 579 reports
- Schizophrenia: 522 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Cardiomyopathy:
- Cardiomyopathy (1,169 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on mesalamine (the active ingredients of Asacol) and Asacol (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Pulmicort and Lotrisone drug interaction - a second ago
- Niacin and Lopurin drug interaction - a second ago
- Quinine Sulfate and Vitamin E drug interaction - 3 seconds ago
- Cosentyx and Exercise Tolerance Decreased - 4 seconds ago
- Depakote Er and Mouth Ulcers - 5 seconds ago
- Venclexta and Cytokine Release Syndrome - 8 seconds ago
- Fluorouracil and Vulval Ulceration - 8 seconds ago
- Buspirone Hcl and Lanoxin drug interaction - 18 seconds ago
- Ibuprofen and Uterine Spasm - 18 seconds ago
- Citalopram Hydrobromide and Atherosclerosis - 23 seconds ago