Asacol and Lupus - from FDA reports
Lupus is found among people who take Asacol, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Imuran, and have Osteoporosis. This review analyzes which people have Lupus with Asacol. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 11,737 people who have side effects when taking Asacol from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Nov, 24, 2017
11,737 people reported to have side effects when taking Asacol.
Among them, 109 people (0.93%) have Lupus
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Asacol when people have Lupus *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 66.67 %
- 6 - 12 months: 33.33 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Lupus when taking Asacol *:
- female: 90.83 %
- male: 9.17 %
Age of people who have Lupus when taking Asacol *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 26.97 %
- 20-29: 3.37 %
- 30-39: 5.62 %
- 40-49: 13.48 %
- 50-59: 38.2 %
- 60+: 12.36 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Osteoporosis (34 people, 31.19%)
- Autoimmune Hepatitis (19 people, 17.43%)
- Acne (12 people, 11.01%)
- Thrombocytopenia (11 people, 10.09%)
- Pain (3 people, 2.75%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Imuran (61 people, 55.96%)
- Prednisone (52 people, 47.71%)
- Demerol (45 people, 41.28%)
- Plaquenil (36 people, 33.03%)
- Remicade (34 people, 31.19%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Acute Kidney Failure (57 people, 52.29%)
- Cellulitis (53 people, 48.62%)
- Pneumonia (51 people, 46.79%)
- Anaemia (51 people, 46.79%)
- Stress And Anxiety (43 people, 39.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Lupus when taking Asacol?
- Check symptoms - is lupus caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsLupus and drugs with ingredients of mesalamine.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeLupus and Asacol from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Asacol has active ingredients of mesalamine. It is often used in ulcerative colitis. (latest outcomes from Asacol 12,420 users)
Lupus (any of various ulcerous skin diseases) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis (latest reports from 25,869 Lupus patients).
Browse all side effects of Asacola b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with LupusLupus
Could your condition cause LupusLupus
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Hi, I'm new. My mother uses propanolol hydrochloride and has just been diagnosed with lupus. I now understand that this drug can cause lupus or lupus-like disease, but can only occasional use of this drug cause lupus? She says she only uses it a couple of times a week at most.
I am 27 year old male. I have SLE. I get a lot of discomfort and pain in my chest and upper back. It migrates throughout the day and changes in quality. It can be overwhelming. Sometimes I have a hard time breathing, sometimes my heart races. Sometimes my face gets hot and sweaty. I thought it ...