Avonex and Dupuytren's contracture - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Dupuytren's contracture is found among people who take Avonex, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Avonex and have Dupuytren's contracture. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 189,524 people who have side effects when taking Avonex from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe enables everyone to run phase IV clinical trial to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor effectiveness. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Most recently, phase IV clinial trails for COVID 19 vaccines have been added, check here.
189,524 people reported to have side effects when taking Avonex.
Among them, 6 people (0.0%) have Dupuytren's contracture.
What is Avonex?
Avonex has active ingredients of interferon beta 1a. It is often used in multiple sclerosis. eHealthMe is studying from 189,920 Avonex users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Dupuytren's contracture?
Dupuytren's contracture (thickening of the fibrous tissue layer underneath the skin of the palm and fingers) is found to be associated with 435 drugs and 194 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Avonex and Dupuytren's contracture reports submitted per year:
Time on Avonex when people have Dupuytren's contracture *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 50 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 50 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Dupuytren's contracture when taking Avonex *:
- female: 20 %
- male: 80 %
Age of people who have Dupuytren's contracture when taking Avonex *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 66.67 %
- 60+: 33.33 %
Common drugs people take besides Avonex *:
- Tysabri: 2 people, 33.33%
- Vitamin E: 1 person, 16.67%
- Vitamin D3: 1 person, 16.67%
- Vitamin C: 1 person, 16.67%
- Lamisil: 1 person, 16.67%
- Fosamax: 1 person, 16.67%
- Fish Oil: 1 person, 16.67%
- Centrum Silver: 1 person, 16.67%
- Ampyra: 1 person, 16.67%
Common side effects people have besides Dupuytren's contracture *:
- Weakness: 2 people, 33.33%
- The Flu (the flu is caused by an influenza virus): 2 people, 33.33%
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (nerve compression at wrist results numbness weakness, pain , swelling): 2 people, 33.33%
- Pain: 2 people, 33.33%
- Peripheral Vascular Disorder: 2 people, 33.33%
- Influenza Like Illness: 2 people, 33.33%
- Type 2 Diabetes: 1 person, 16.67%
- Emotional Distress: 1 person, 16.67%
- Compression Fracture (fracture due to pressure caused by injury): 1 person, 16.67%
- Confusion: 1 person, 16.67%
Common conditions people have *:
- Pain: 1 person, 16.67%
- Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break): 1 person, 16.67%
- Gait Disturbance: 1 person, 16.67%
- Dysaesthesia (abnormal sensation): 1 person, 16.67%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Avonex and have Dupuytren's contracture?Check whether Dupuytren's contracture is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Avonex:
- Avonex (189,920 reports)
Dupuytren's contracture treatments and more:
- Dupuytren's contracture (2,028 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Dupuytren's contracture:
- Dupuytren's contracture in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Dupuytren's contracture in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Dupuytren's contracture in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
How severe was Dupuytren's contracture and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of interferon beta 1a:
Common drugs associated with Dupuytren's contracture:
- Xiaflex: 137 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Dupuytren's contracture:
- Dupuytren's contracture (435 drugs)
All the conditions that are associated with Dupuytren's contracture:
- Dupuytren's contracture (194 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on interferon beta 1a (the active ingredients of Avonex) and Avonex (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Tamiflu and Nifedipine drug interaction - 7 seconds ago
- Effexor and Throat Tightness - 15 seconds ago
- Diastat and Akathisia - 16 seconds ago
- Pylera and Purpura - 22 seconds ago
- Albuterol Sulfate and Gastrointestinal Inflammation - 30 seconds ago