Bactrim and Nausea - from FDA reports
Nausea is found among people who take Bactrim, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone, and have Hiv infection. This review analyzes which people have Nausea with Bactrim. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 42,323 people who have side effects when taking Bactrim from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
42,323 people reported to have side effects when taking Bactrim.
Among them, 2,844 people (6.72%) have Nausea
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Bactrim when people have Nausea *:
- < 1 month: 72.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 15.69 %
- 6 - 12 months: 2.46 %
- 1 - 2 years: 5.23 %
- 2 - 5 years: 3.08 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.92 %
- 10+ years: 0.62 %
Gender of people who have Nausea when taking Bactrim *:
- female: 55.36 %
- male: 44.64 %
Age of people who have Nausea when taking Bactrim *:
- 0-1: 0.09 %
- 2-9: 1.71 %
- 10-19: 6.3 %
- 20-29: 7.92 %
- 30-39: 12.89 %
- 40-49: 21.5 %
- 50-59: 18.72 %
- 60+: 30.88 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Hiv Infection: 244 people, 8.58%
- Pain: 172 people, 6.05%
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 166 people, 5.84%
- Preventive Health Care: 143 people, 5.03%
- High Blood Pressure: 122 people, 4.29%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Prednisone: 319 people, 11.22%
- Lasix: 272 people, 9.56%
- Zofran: 259 people, 9.11%
- Prilosec: 245 people, 8.61%
- Diflucan: 201 people, 7.07%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Nausea And Vomiting: 1,227 people, 43.14%
- Diarrhea: 660 people, 23.21%
- Fever: 602 people, 21.17%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 576 people, 20.25%
- Weakness: 524 people, 18.42%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Bactrim and have Nausea?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Nausea
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
Bactrim has active ingredients of sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from Bactrim 44,580 users)
Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit) has been reported by people with type 2 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, depression, pain, high blood pressure (latest reports from 473,295 Nausea patients).
Drugs that are associated with NauseaNausea (4,277 drugs)
Could your condition cause NauseaNausea (5,395 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsNausea and drugs with ingredients of sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim. (4,940 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeNausea and Bactrim from FDA and eHealthMe reports (2,871 reports)
Bactrim side effects
- Bactrim side effects (42,346 reports)
Browse all side effects of Bactrima b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Bactrim and have Nausea
- Support group for people who have Nausea
- Support group for people who take Bactrim
Can you answer these questions
- I had a vasectomy 10 days ago and have been having pain. I was prescribed Bactrim for a possible infection ever since then I had severe lower back pain, depression, stomach pain, and not able to go #2. I still have pain from vacetomy so it’s hard for to determine if Bactrim is cause. I quit...
- I am taking DS Bactrim160/80 x2 and 9x150 Clindamycin per day for a staph infection What do u think? Good or bad
- Could this cause a decrease of GFR and elevated creatinine? Hemolysis index was also elevated. I was only on Bactrim 2 days and used to be able to tolerate it. This time I was in the ER because of shakiness, dizziness, poor cognition. They found my GFR was 48 - one month ago it was normal. ...
- I'm on prilosec for an eroded esophagus I've been having severe nausea lately and I want to know if prilosec will help with my nausea.
- I've been taking Bactrim for 1 week. 5th day. I had irregular and fast heartbeat, tiredness, dizziness. I stopped taking it 2 day. Still have the symptom. What do I have to do? Will it go away? Thanks.
You may be interested in these posts
- Before I went to bed I took b12, melatonin and an ondansetron (equivalent to zofran) and now I’m throwing up everything I have eaten :( anyone know how long this will last?
- Bactrim caused a horrible metallic bitter taste in my mouth at night. I had to get up and rinse my mouth out with mouth wash. I have GERD so maybe that is why it was worse at night.
- I have nausea since starting Restasis !!!
- Suffered from pancreatitis for years. Took me just as long to understand just what was going on with my health. Once I semi understood what the culprits were that caused pancreatitis flare ups I paid more attention to prescriptions and food intake. I recently went in to have a biopsy of my...
- Female 65 on Bactrim for 5 months. Will be on it for a year or life.
- Will you have Photopsia with Anoro Ellipta?
- Will you have Urobilin Urine Present with Sublimaze?
- Will you have Claustrophobia with Sinemet?
- Will you have Pain In Jaw with Diverticulitis?
- Mefloquine Hydrochloride and Modafinil drug interaction
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Anoro Ellipta and have Photopsia?
- Support group for people who take Sublimaze and have Urobilin Urine Present?
- Support group for people who take Sinemet and have Claustrophobia?
- Support group for people who have Diverticulitis and Pain In Jaw?
- Support group for people who take Mefloquine Hydrochloride and Modafinil
- What to expect when you take Anoro Ellipta and have Photopsia?
- What to expect when you take Sublimaze and have Urobilin Urine Present?
- What to expect when you take Sinemet and have Claustrophobia?
- What to expect when you have Diverticulitis and Pain In Jaw?
- What to expect when you take Mefloquine Hydrochloride and Modafinil
- A study for a 26 year old woman who takes Adderall, Remeron, Effexor Xr
- A study for a 39 year old woman who takes Cytomel, Vivelle-dot
- A study for a 41 year old woman who takes Zofran, Toradol
- A study for a 36 year old woman who takes Cosentyx
- A study for a 76 year old woman who takes Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Metoprolol Succinate, Lipitor, Plaquenil, Acetaminophen And Hydrocodone Bitartrate, Gabapentin
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.