Benadryl and Coma - from FDA reports
Coma is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Decadron, and have Pain. This review analyzes which people have Coma with Benadryl. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 44,874 people who have side effects when taking Benadryl from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Nov, 23, 2017
44,874 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl.
Among them, 365 people (0.81%) have Coma
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Benadryl when people have Coma *:
- < 1 month: 85.19 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 3.7 %
- 2 - 5 years: 7.41 %
- 5 - 10 years: 3.7 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Coma when taking Benadryl *:
- female: 55.93 %
- male: 44.07 %
Age of people who have Coma when taking Benadryl *:
- 0-1: 1.0 %
- 2-9: 1.67 %
- 10-19: 2.01 %
- 20-29: 3.34 %
- 30-39: 7.36 %
- 40-49: 20.74 %
- 50-59: 22.07 %
- 60+: 41.81 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain (25 people, 6.85%)
- Depression (15 people, 4.11%)
- Hypersensitivity (14 people, 3.84%)
- Back Pain (14 people, 3.84%)
- Nausea (11 people, 3.01%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Decadron (75 people, 20.55%)
- Tylenol (61 people, 16.71%)
- Taxol (44 people, 12.05%)
- Lasix (41 people, 11.23%)
- Ativan (41 people, 11.23%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Hypotension (65 people, 17.81%)
- Nausea (43 people, 11.78%)
- Fatigue (41 people, 11.23%)
- Back Pain (40 people, 10.96%)
- Stress And Anxiety (39 people, 10.68%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Coma when taking Benadryl?
- Check symptoms - is coma caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsComa and drugs with ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeComa and Benadryl from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 49,085 users)
Coma (state of unconsciousness lasting more than six hours) has been reported by people with pain, depression, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, diabetes (latest reports from 32,727 Coma patients).
Browse all side effects of Benadryla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ComaComa
Could your condition cause ComaComa
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Honestly I will never take this pill ever again. I wish I could say I only felt drowsy . At first I did and then I started getting these really sad and depressive thoughts and I know it's the pill because I had a great day. I start crying for no reason . My boyfriend asked me what was wrong and ...
I had cough, runny nose and slight fever a week back. So after 2 days I took Benadryl. One day after taking Benadryl I noticed loss of smell and most of the taste (can't notice much other than sweet......I don't notice even very spicy food now.) Since 3 days I am trying steam, salt water ...