Cephalexin and Paralytic ileus - from FDA reports
Paralytic ileus is found among people who take Cephalexin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Digoxin, and have Gastroesophageal reflux disease. This review analyzes which people have Paralytic ileus with Cephalexin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 11,031 people who have side effects when taking Cephalexin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
11,031 people reported to have side effects when taking Cephalexin.
Among them, 52 people (0.47%) have Paralytic ileus
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Cephalexin when people have Paralytic ileus *:
- < 1 month: 80 %
- 1 - 6 months: 20 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Paralytic ileus when taking Cephalexin *:
- female: 76.92 %
- male: 23.08 %
Age of people who have Paralytic ileus when taking Cephalexin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 2.38 %
- 10-19: 2.38 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 4.76 %
- 40-49: 11.9 %
- 50-59: 33.33 %
- 60+: 45.24 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Stress And Anxiety: 6 people, 11.54%
- Preventive Health Care: 6 people, 11.54%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 6 people, 11.54%
- Constipation: 5 people, 9.62%
- Cholinergic Syndrome (symptoms of increased cholinergic stimulation): 4 people, 7.69%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Digoxin: 17 people, 32.69%
- Ambien: 16 people, 30.77%
- Lisinopril: 15 people, 28.85%
- Furosemide: 15 people, 28.85%
- Lorazepam: 13 people, 25.00%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain: 22 people, 42.31%
- Weakness: 19 people, 36.54%
- Stress And Anxiety: 19 people, 36.54%
- Chest Pain: 19 people, 36.54%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 18 people, 34.62%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Cephalexin and have Paralytic ileus?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Paralytic ileus
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Hcg (pregnancy) qualitative, serum (human chorionic gonadotropin) females only ($53.00) Add to cart
- Urinalysis, complete with microscopic examination ($39.00) Add to cart
Cephalexin has active ingredients of cephalexin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Cephalexin 12,233 users)
Paralytic ileus (intestinal obstruction) has been reported by people with crohn's disease, acne, high blood pressure, pain (latest reports from 28,514 Paralytic ileus patients).
Drugs that are associated with Paralytic ileusParalytic ileus (2,234 drugs)
Could your condition cause Paralytic ileusParalytic ileus (1,843 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsParalytic ileus and drugs with ingredients of cephalexin. (92 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeParalytic ileus and Cephalexin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Cephalexin side effects
- Cephalexin side effects (11,035 reports)
Browse all side effects of Cephalexina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Agrawal A, Rao M, Jasdanwala S, Mathur A, Eng M, "Cephalexin Induced Cholestatic Jaundice", Case reports in gastrointestinal medicine, 2014 Aug .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Cephalexin and have Paralytic Ileus
- Support group for people who have Paralytic Ileus
- Support group for people who take Cephalexin
Can you answer these questions
- Hello! My 17 year old son has had three bowel surgeries in two years. Volvulus. He had his last surgery a week ago and is having difficulty sleeping. The doctor prescribed him Benadryl but I am afraid it could cause him bowel obstruction. Anybody with a similar experience?
- Hello I'm taking the antibiotic cephalexin but I smoke weed on the daily can I still smoke while I'm taking these antibiotics?
- My name is Mary, I have been on 100mg of Tramadol for 8 years, fortunately I am off this medication now. I have terrible constipation and bloating. I've had 3 ER visits, 3 gastroenterologists, 2 x-rays, 1 cat scan, a small bowel follow through and colonoscopy and endoscopy which showed nothing....
- Hi I rarely drink but when I do the next day when I wake up I am really sick - vomit every 20 mins and also have to go to the toilet ! It's like my whole system shuts down and only12 hours later i will notice my stomach/ bowel making noises again and then I stop being sick. Is there anything I...
- After I have smoked I have pain in my chest and especially in my esophagus area. I feel like I need to burp but can't. Now it has happened twice that I have gotten an ileus. The first time was a day after my first use. I wasn't even sure that was the cause but now that it had happened twice I'm...
You may be interested in these posts
- Took Cephelexin as prescribed for urinary tract infection, ended up in the hospital suffering from acute pancreatitis for three days with Lipase levels elevated over 800, that’s 8 times the normal!
- Since taking cephalexin after a bad kidney infection my plt are higher than the standard range.
- Currently watching a friend who has mixed cephalexin and amitiza. Not a fun mix. How do I help her?
- Tingling hands and feet on keflex anyone else
- I am Michael Bardsley, aged 89 and have been taking Pregabalin (300 mcgs daily) for nine months. Six weeks ago the symptoms of what I now know to be "bowel obstruction" began. That is to say I suddenly found I was not getting my normal daily urge to defecate. It was taking three/four days. This...
- Will you have Eye Irritation with Diovan?
- Will you have Implant Site Necrosis with Hypogonadism Male?
- Will you have Lhermitte'S Sign with Aleve?
- Will you have Plasmacytoma Of Bone with Prandin?
- Will you have Plasma Cell Myeloma with Prandin?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Diovan and have Eye Irritation?
- Support group for people who have Hypogonadism Male and Implant Site Necrosis?
- Support group for people who take Aleve and have Lhermitte'S Sign?
- Support group for people who take Prandin and have Plasmacytoma Of Bone?
- Support group for people who take Prandin and have Plasma Cell Myeloma?
- What to expect when you take Diovan and have Eye Irritation?
- What to expect when you have Hypogonadism Male and Implant Site Necrosis?
- What to expect when you take Aleve and have Lhermitte'S Sign?
- What to expect when you take Prandin and have Plasmacytoma Of Bone?
- What to expect when you take Prandin and have Plasma Cell Myeloma?
- A study for a 64 year old woman who takes Levothyroxine Thyroid, Estradiol
- A study for a 60 year old man who takes Xarelto, Hemp Seed Oil
- A study for a 27 year old woman who takes Tylenol, Aleve
- A study for a 75 year old man who takes Xarelto
- A study for a 1 year old girl who takes Remeron, Strattera
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.