Cephalexin and Thrombocytopenia - from FDA reports
Thrombocytopenia is found among people who take Cephalexin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma. This review analyzes which people have Thrombocytopenia with Cephalexin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 11,031 people who have side effects when taking Cephalexin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 23, 2017
11,031 people reported to have side effects when taking Cephalexin.
Among them, 331 people (3.0%) have Thrombocytopenia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Cephalexin when people have Thrombocytopenia *:
- < 1 month: 100 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Thrombocytopenia when taking Cephalexin *:
- female: 60.06 %
- male: 39.94 %
Age of people who have Thrombocytopenia when taking Cephalexin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 1.1 %
- 10-19: 0.74 %
- 20-29: 4.04 %
- 30-39: 4.04 %
- 40-49: 12.13 %
- 50-59: 31.99 %
- 60+: 45.96 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Myeloma (33 people, 9.97%)
- Metastases To Bone (28 people, 8.46%)
- Breast Cancer Metastatic (20 people, 6.04%)
- Preventive Health Care (13 people, 3.93%)
- Pain (13 people, 3.93%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Zometa (144 people, 43.50%)
- Lorazepam (98 people, 29.61%)
- Prednisone (91 people, 27.49%)
- Dexamethasone (90 people, 27.19%)
- Aredia (89 people, 26.89%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain (168 people, 50.76%)
- Osteonecrosis Of Jaw (135 people, 40.79%)
- Anaemia (128 people, 38.67%)
- Stress And Anxiety (123 people, 37.16%)
- Breathing Difficulty (95 people, 28.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Thrombocytopenia when taking Cephalexin?
- Check symptoms - is thrombocytopenia caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsThrombocytopenia and drugs with ingredients of cephalexin.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeThrombocytopenia and Cephalexin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Cephalexin has active ingredients of cephalexin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Cephalexin 12,232 users)
Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood) has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, hepatitis c, high blood pressure, preventive health care, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 144,868 Thrombocytopenia patients).
Browse all side effects of Cephalexina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ThrombocytopeniaThrombocytopenia
Could your condition cause ThrombocytopeniaThrombocytopenia
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Rasmy A, Rahal M, Kisana M, Ahmad S, Salah A, "Morphine induced thrombocytopenia: A case report", Journal of Case Reports and Images in Oncology, 2015 Dec .
- Onder H, Arsava EM, Arat A, Topcuoglu MA, "Acute middle cerebral artery occlusion treated by thrombectomy in a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome and severe thrombocytopenia", Journal of vascular and interventional neurology, 2015 Jan .
- Agrawal A, Rao M, Jasdanwala S, Mathur A, Eng M, "Cephalexin Induced Cholestatic Jaundice", Case reports in gastrointestinal medicine, 2014 Aug .
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I have been taking modafinil since last two weeks and I had the history of thrombocytopenia. So I have a low platelet count now due to modafinil as previously it was cured. now if i discontinue the drug will the hypersensitivity go away?
User posts to the study
Hello, I am 62 yrs young. I was diagnosed with shingles 3 wks ago. It was a mild case with the rash. But I've had a very bad headache and feeling weak. It's not improving. Had blood work last week and My platelet count is down significantly from 6mos ago and my MD is having bloods redone ...