Ciprofloxacin and Diarrhea - from FDA reports
Diarrhea is found among people who take Ciprofloxacin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Omeprazole, and have Preventive health care. This review analyzes which people have Diarrhea with Ciprofloxacin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 4,221 people who have side effects when taking Ciprofloxacin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
4,221 people reported to have side effects when taking Ciprofloxacin.
Among them, 302 people (7.15%) have Diarrhea
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Ciprofloxacin when people have Diarrhea *:
- < 1 month: 89.52 %
- 1 - 6 months: 10.48 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Diarrhea when taking Ciprofloxacin *:
- female: 70.85 %
- male: 29.15 %
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Ciprofloxacin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.84 %
- 10-19: 3.8 %
- 20-29: 9.28 %
- 30-39: 14.77 %
- 40-49: 6.75 %
- 50-59: 12.24 %
- 60+: 52.32 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Preventive Health Care: 31 people, 10.26%
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 22 people, 7.28%
- Pneumonia: 20 people, 6.62%
- Crohn's Disease (condition that causes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract): 20 people, 6.62%
- Pseudomonas Infection (pseudomonas infection is caused by a bacterium, pseudomonas aeruginosa): 19 people, 6.29%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Omeprazole: 47 people, 15.56%
- Amoxicillin: 31 people, 10.26%
- Aspirin: 29 people, 9.60%
- Clarithromycin: 27 people, 8.94%
- Dexamethasone: 26 people, 8.61%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Nausea And Vomiting: 74 people, 24.50%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 73 people, 24.17%
- Fever: 59 people, 19.54%
- Weakness: 52 people, 17.22%
- Stress And Anxiety: 52 people, 17.22%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Ciprofloxacin and have Diarrhea?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Diarrhea
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Folate, rbc ($83.00) Add to cart
- Hcg (pregnancy) qualitative, serum (human chorionic gonadotropin) females only ($53.00) Add to cart
- Urinalysis, complete with microscopic examination ($39.00) Add to cart
- Vitamin b12 ($47.00) Add to cart
Ciprofloxacin has active ingredients of ciprofloxacin. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from Ciprofloxacin 5,330 users)
Diarrhea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, pain (latest reports from 302,036 Diarrhea patients).
Drugs that are associated with DiarrheaDiarrhea (3,994 drugs)
Could your condition cause DiarrheaDiarrhea (4,953 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsDiarrhea and drugs with ingredients of ciprofloxacin. (350 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeDiarrhea and Ciprofloxacin from FDA and eHealthMe reports (311 reports)
Ciprofloxacin side effects
- Ciprofloxacin side effects (4,222 reports)
Browse all side effects of Ciprofloxacina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Bolognesi M, Bolognesi D, "Ciprofloxacin-induced paroxysmal atrial fibrilation", OA Case Reports, 2014 Jan .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Ciprofloxacin and have Diarrhea
- Support group for people who have Diarrhea
- Support group for people who take Ciprofloxacin
Can you answer these questions
- Group members, did you experience any any other symptoms - such as bloating and dry mouth etc? How long did symptoms last after stopping melatonin.? I was on melatonin for approximately 2 1/2 months and experienced the same diarrhea symptoms as you.
- while taking Plavix is there anything that can help with the diarrhea ?
- Any recommended drugs for people who experience diarrhoea while taking viagra?
- I was taking Flomax for about a month with Cipro. Turned out that I have diabetes and I had a UTI. I have low blood platelets and am scheduled to see a hematologist. Not sure if this is medication related yet. Any insight?
- I have been Hiprex for about 9 months with no problems and then about a month ago I started having diarrhea issues. Wondering how other folks treat this problem.
You may be interested in these posts
- Since my last colonoscopy in August 2017 I have been suffering from diarrhea. I do not like Imodium and have started on probiotic supplement + Greek yogurt. So, what is my real problem? I have osteoarthritis, which is a pain 😖. Just started hydrolyzed animal collagen, which may help the OA, but...
- Is there anything over the counter to take for diarrhea with Jardience? I'm only on day 3 of the drug and I can't leave the toilet! Thanks for your help.
- Hi all. I have been on this education for the last 8 months and have diaherea each time I take my shot. With that i have developed colitis and I have been. Suffering big time.tell me your story. My Dr does not believe i get the runs from the medication. I am getting to the point of punching...
- I was having diarrhea before starting Cymbalta and it has gotten worse through the months. I will have another colonoscopy. As soon as I eat, I am to the bathroom within 10-15 minutes. I am diagnosed with Crohn's. But the diarrhea I have starts soft, turns to mush, and then greasy/slimy clumps...
- New to this and I'm looking for tips and warnings.
- Minoxidil Extra Strength and Grapefruit drug interaction
- Will you have Hepatic Trauma with Metoprolol Succinate?
- Psyllium and Ramipril drug interaction
- Protonix and Terbinafine Hydrochloride drug interaction
- Will you have Bladder Diverticulum with Crixivan?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Minoxidil Extra Strength and Grapefruit
- Support group for people who take Metoprolol Succinate and have Hepatic Trauma?
- Support group for people who take Psyllium and Ramipril
- Support group for people who take Protonix and Terbinafine Hydrochloride
- Support group for people who take Crixivan and have Bladder Diverticulum?
- What to expect when you take Minoxidil Extra Strength and Grapefruit
- What to expect when you take Metoprolol Succinate and have Hepatic Trauma?
- What to expect when you take Psyllium and Ramipril
- What to expect when you take Protonix and Terbinafine Hydrochloride
- What to expect when you take Crixivan and have Bladder Diverticulum?
- A study for a 68 year old man who takes Novolog
- A study for a 25 year old woman who takes Estradiol Valerate
- A study for a 79 year old woman who takes Coumadin, Losartan Potassium And Hydrochlorothiazide, Milk Thistle, Vitamin E
- A study for a 55 year old woman who takes Arimidex
- A study for a 30 year old woman who takes Celexa
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.