Clarithromycin and Ototoxicity - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Ototoxicity is found among people who take Clarithromycin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Clarithromycin and have Ototoxicity. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 34,748 people who have side effects when taking Clarithromycin from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe enables everyone to run phase IV clinical trial to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor effectiveness. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Most recently, phase IV clinial trails for COVID 19 vaccines have been added, check here.
34,748 people reported to have side effects when taking Clarithromycin.
Among them, 81 people (0.23%) have Ototoxicity.
What is Clarithromycin?
Clarithromycin has active ingredients of clarithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. eHealthMe is studying from 35,724 Clarithromycin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Ototoxicity?
Ototoxicity (damage to the ear) is found to be associated with 595 drugs and 333 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Clarithromycin and Ototoxicity reports submitted per year:
Time on Clarithromycin when people have Ototoxicity *:
- < 1 month: 92 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 8 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Ototoxicity when taking Clarithromycin *:
- female: 43.28 %
- male: 56.72 %
Age of people who have Ototoxicity when taking Clarithromycin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 1.41 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 14.08 %
- 30-39: 1.41 %
- 40-49: 15.49 %
- 50-59: 25.35 %
- 60+: 42.25 %
Common drugs people take besides Clarithromycin *:
- Cefoxitin: 6 people, 7.41%
- Vancomycin: 5 people, 6.17%
- Trimethoprim: 5 people, 6.17%
- Piperacillin And Tazobactam: 5 people, 6.17%
- Ofloxacin: 5 people, 6.17%
- Amlodipine: 4 people, 4.94%
- Azithromycin: 4 people, 4.94%
- Naproxen: 4 people, 4.94%
- Moxifloxacin: 4 people, 4.94%
- Vancomycin Hcl: 3 people, 3.70%
Common side effects people have besides Ototoxicity *:
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 21 people, 25.93%
- Nausea And Vomiting: 16 people, 19.75%
- Balance Disorder: 15 people, 18.52%
- Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears): 15 people, 18.52%
- Drug Ineffective: 12 people, 14.81%
- International Normalised Ratio Increased: 11 people, 13.58%
- Stress And Anxiety: 11 people, 13.58%
- Nephropathy Toxic (damage to kidney due to toxins): 11 people, 13.58%
- Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood): 11 people, 13.58%
- Gastrointestinal Haemorrhage (bleeding gastrointestinal tract): 11 people, 13.58%
Common conditions people have *:
- Tuberculosis (a bacterial infection by mycobacterium tuberculosis): 22 people, 27.16%
- Mycobacterium Abscessus Infection (rapid growing bacterial infection): 17 people, 20.99%
- Peripheral Vascular Disorder: 10 people, 12.35%
- Bacterial Infection: 10 people, 12.35%
- Mycobacterial Infection: 10 people, 12.35%
- Abscess Neck (neck abscesses): 10 people, 12.35%
- Rhodococcus Infection: 7 people, 8.64%
- Mycobacterium Chelonae Infection (bacterial infection): 6 people, 7.41%
- Brain Abscess: 6 people, 7.41%
- Rhinitis (a medical term for irritation and inflammation of the mucous membrane inside the nose): 6 people, 7.41%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Clarithromycin and have Ototoxicity?Check whether Ototoxicity is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Clarithromycin:
- Clarithromycin (35,724 reports)
Ototoxicity treatments and more:
- Ototoxicity (1,631 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Ototoxicity in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Ototoxicity in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
How severe was Ototoxicity and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of clarithromycin:
Common drugs associated with Ototoxicity:
All the drugs that are associated with Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity (595 drugs)
All the conditions that are associated with Ototoxicity:
- Ototoxicity (333 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on clarithromycin (the active ingredients of Clarithromycin) and Clarithromycin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Naprosyn vs. Lexapro - 4 seconds ago
- Metaxalone and Faecal Incontinence - 5 seconds ago
- Psoriatic Arthropathy and Neutrophil Percentage Increased - 7 seconds ago
- Lisinopril and Giardiasis - 7 seconds ago
- Urecholine and Colace drug interaction - 12 seconds ago