Cogentin and Hyponatremia - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Hyponatremia is found among people who take Cogentin, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Cogentin and have Hyponatremia. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 7,328 people who have side effects when taking Cogentin from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
7,328 people reported to have side effects when taking Cogentin.
Among them, 78 people (1.06%) have Hyponatremia.
What is Cogentin?
Cogentin has active ingredients of benztropine mesylate. It is often used in tardive dyskinesia. eHealthMe is studying from 7,598 Cogentin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia (abnormally low level of sodium in the blood; associated with dehydration) is found to be associated with 2,921 drugs and 1,575 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Cogentin and Hyponatremia reports submitted per year:
Time on Cogentin when people have Hyponatremia *:
- < 1 month: 100 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Hyponatremia when taking Cogentin *:
- female: 31.17 %
- male: 68.83 %
Age of people who have Hyponatremia when taking Cogentin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 1.54 %
- 30-39: 6.15 %
- 40-49: 23.08 %
- 50-59: 35.38 %
- 60+: 33.85 %
Common drugs people take besides Cogentin *:
- Zyprexa: 39 people, 50.00%
- Haldol: 26 people, 33.33%
- Lisinopril: 22 people, 28.21%
- Geodon: 21 people, 26.92%
- Zoloft: 20 people, 25.64%
- Celebrex: 19 people, 24.36%
- Viagra: 19 people, 24.36%
- Zyrtec: 19 people, 24.36%
- Benicar: 18 people, 23.08%
- Klor-Con: 18 people, 23.08%
Common side effects people have besides Hyponatremia *:
- Chest Pain: 33 people, 42.31%
- Cardiac Failure Congestive: 31 people, 39.74%
- Pain: 30 people, 38.46%
- Stress And Anxiety: 30 people, 38.46%
- Headache (pain in head): 30 people, 38.46%
- Pulmonary Hypertension (increase in blood pressure in the lung artery): 29 people, 37.18%
- Injury: 29 people, 37.18%
- Lacunar Infarction (type of stroke): 29 people, 37.18%
- Spinal Osteoarthritis (joint cartilage loss in spine): 29 people, 37.18%
- Mitral Valve Incompetence (inefficient heart valve): 27 people, 34.62%
Common conditions people have *:
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 14 people, 17.95%
- Bipolar Disorder (mood disorder): 4 people, 5.13%
- Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type (delusions and auditory hallucinations but relatively normal intellectual functioning and expression of affect): 4 people, 5.13%
- Depression: 4 people, 5.13%
- High Blood Pressure: 3 people, 3.85%
- Affective Disorder (mental disorder): 3 people, 3.85%
- Psychotic Disorder: 2 people, 2.56%
- Extrapyramidal Disorder (involuntary muscle spasms in the face and neck): 2 people, 2.56%
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry;): 1 person, 1.28%
- Nasopharyngitis (inflammation of the nasopharynx): 1 person, 1.28%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Cogentin and have Hyponatremia?Check whether Hyponatremia is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Choi N, Lee JY, Sunwoo JS, Kwon KI, Roh H, Ahn MY, Lee KB, "Hyponatremia during Acyclovir Treatment of Bell’s Palsy", Journal of the Korean Neurological Association, 2017 Aug .
- Koza Y, Ta? MH, ?im?ek Z, Gündo?du F, "Hyponatremia and heart failure: the overlooked piece of the puzzle", Anatolian journal of cardiology, 2016 Jan .
- Das S, Bandyopadhyay S, Ramasamy A, Prabhu VV, Pachiappan S, "A case of losartan-induced severe hyponatremia", Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics, 2015 Jan .
- Gupta E, Kunjal R, Cury JD, "Severe hyponatremia due to valproic acid toxicity", Journal of clinical medicine research, 2015 Jan .
- Kate N, Grover S, Kumar S, Modi M, "Bupropion-induced hyponatremia", General hospital psychiatry, 2013 Dec .
How severe was Hyponatremia and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of benztropine mesylate:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Cogentin:
- Cogentin (7,598 reports)
Common Cogentin side effects:
- Weight increased: 454 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 427 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 420 reports
- Depression: 384 reports
- Drug ineffective: 375 reports
- Tremor (trembling or shaking movements in one or more parts of your body): 371 reports
- Agitation (state of anxiety or nervous excitement): 368 reports
- Drowsiness: 364 reports
- Insomnia (sleeplessness): 362 reports
Browse all side effects of Cogentin:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Hyponatremia treatments and more:
- Hyponatremia (64,929 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Hyponatremia:
- Hyponatremia in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Hyponatremia in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Hyponatremia in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Hyponatremia:
- Furosemide: 4,323 reports
- Omeprazole: 4,229 reports
- Aspirin: 3,465 reports
- Zide: 2,907 reports
- Hydrochlorothiazide: 2,898 reports
- Amlodipine: 2,875 reports
- Lasix: 2,621 reports
- Lansoprazole: 2,543 reports
- Ramipril: 2,477 reports
- Metformin: 2,454 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Hyponatremia:
- Hyponatremia (2,921 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Hyponatremia:
- High blood pressure: 9,806 reports
- Depression: 4,828 reports
- Pain: 2,117 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 1,512 reports
- Epilepsy: 1,366 reports
- Multiple myeloma: 1,314 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Hyponatremia:
- Hyponatremia (1,575 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on benztropine mesylate (the active ingredients of Cogentin) and Cogentin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Desmopressin Acetate and Hypokalemia - 7 seconds ago
- Anastrozole and Pharyngolaryngeal Pain - 7 seconds ago
- Narcan and Keppra drug interaction - 15 seconds ago
- Enzalutamide and Heart Palpitations - 25 seconds ago
- Carvedilol and Postoperative Thoracic Procedure Complication - 28 seconds ago
- Invega Sustenna and Diarrhea - 29 seconds ago
- Invega Sustenna and Stools - Watery - 29 seconds ago
- Luvox and Anhedonia - 29 seconds ago
- Estropipate and Pitting Oedema - 30 seconds ago
- Anhedonia in Vyvanse, how severe and when it was recovered? - 34 seconds ago