Depakote and Autism - from FDA reports
Autism is found among people who take Depakote, especially for people who are male, 2-9 old , have been taking the drug for 10+ years, also take medication Paxil, and have Depression. This review analyzes which people have Autism with Depakote. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 38,658 people who have side effects when taking Depakote from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 01, 2017
38,658 people reported to have side effects when taking Depakote.
Among them, 76 people (0.2%) have Autism
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Depakote when people have Autism *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 18.18 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 81.82 %
Gender of people who have Autism when taking Depakote *:
- female: 26.87 %
- male: 73.13 %
Age of people who have Autism when taking Depakote *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 52.94 %
- 10-19: 41.18 %
- 20-29: 5.88 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Depression (13 people, 17.11%)
- Seizures (4 people, 5.26%)
- Abnormal Behavior (4 people, 5.26%)
- Stress And Anxiety (3 people, 3.95%)
- Migraine (2 people, 2.63%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Paxil (13 people, 17.11%)
- Terbutaline Sulfate (8 people, 10.53%)
- Seroquel (8 people, 10.53%)
- Keppra (7 people, 9.21%)
- Serax (6 people, 7.89%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Developmental Delay (38 people, 50.00%)
- Foetal Exposure During Pregnancy (34 people, 44.74%)
- Anhedonia (31 people, 40.79%)
- Pain (30 people, 39.47%)
- Abnormal Behavior (30 people, 39.47%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Autism when taking Depakote?
- Check symptoms - is autism caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsAutism and drugs with ingredients of divalproex sodium.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeAutism and Depakote from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Depakote has active ingredients of divalproex sodium. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from Depakote 41,207 users)
Autism (a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts) has been reported by people with depression, stress and anxiety, epilepsy, drug exposure during pregnancy, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (latest reports from 3,623 Autism patients).
Browse all side effects of Depakotea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with AutismAutism
Could your condition cause AutismAutism
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Hey there ehealth! I'm William, and I do take Restoral & Depakote. I'm a brain cancer Survivor. Had a Left Temperal Lobe Malignant tumor, about the size of a "tennis ball!" 2 separate surgeries ('06 & '08), & 1 round of TA Radiation therapy ('09). I've been in remission since 2009, yet I ...
My grandson is 12. He started taking depakote 4 months ago. He has been having blue bowels, all of a sudden, and vomiting, along with severe stomach cramps. Is this happening with anyone else? if so, what needs to be done?