Depakote and Odynophagia - from FDA reports
Odynophagia is found among people who take Depakote, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Cefazolin, and have Arthritis. This review analyzes which people have Odynophagia with Depakote. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 38,658 people who have side effects when taking Depakote from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 18, 2017
38,658 people reported to have side effects when taking Depakote.
Among them, 6 people (0.02%) have Odynophagia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Depakote when people have Odynophagia *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 100 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Odynophagia when taking Depakote *:
- female: 50 %
- male: 50 %
Age of people who have Odynophagia when taking Depakote *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 20 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 40 %
- 50-59: 20 %
- 60+: 20 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Hepatitis C (1 person, 16.67%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (1 person, 16.67%)
- Diuretic Therapy (1 person, 16.67%)
- Bipolar Ii Disorder (1 person, 16.67%)
- Arthritis (1 person, 16.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Tegretol (1 person, 16.67%)
- Mirtazapine (1 person, 16.67%)
- Lexapro (1 person, 16.67%)
- Furosemide (1 person, 16.67%)
- Cefazolin (1 person, 16.67%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Weight Decreased (3 people, 50.00%)
- Insomnia (3 people, 50.00%)
- Headache (3 people, 50.00%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (3 people, 50.00%)
- Chest Pain (3 people, 50.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Odynophagia when taking Depakote?
- Check symptoms - is odynophagia caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsOdynophagia and drugs with ingredients of divalproex sodium.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeOdynophagia and Depakote from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Depakote has active ingredients of divalproex sodium. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from Depakote 41,207 users)
Odynophagia (painful swallowing, in the mouth (oropharynx) or oesophagus) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, breast cancer, gastroesophageal reflux disease (latest reports from 3,627 Odynophagia patients).
Browse all side effects of Depakotea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with OdynophagiaOdynophagia
Could your condition cause OdynophagiaOdynophagia
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I'm not sure how I feel about the medication. I will have been on it for 3 months now and the only difference i feel is the mania has stopped. I still get really depressed and hardly any energy. Depakote has it's pro's and con's. I just want to feel happy again.
Hey there ehealth! I'm William, and I do take Restoral & Depakote. I'm a brain cancer Survivor. Had a Left Temperal Lobe Malignant tumor, about the size of a "tennis ball!" 2 separate surgeries ('06 & '08), & 1 round of TA Radiation therapy ('09). I've been in remission since 2009, yet I ...
User posts to the study
I have been going through a tremendous amount of stress in my life during the past 2 years. During this time, I started experiencing odynophagia and my doctor seems to believe it's a stress induced reaction.