Ibuprofen and Rhabdomyolysis - from FDA reports
Rhabdomyolysis is found among people who take Ibuprofen, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lipitor, and have High blood cholesterol. This study is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 120,062 people who have side effects when taking Ibuprofen from FDA, and is updated regularly.
How to use this study: bring a copy to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Who is eHealthMe: we are a data analysis company who specializes in health care industry. Our original studies have been referenced on 500+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and EANO. On eHealthMe, you can research drugs and monitor them (see testimonials).
120,062 people reported to have side effects when taking Ibuprofen.
Among them, 541 people (0.45%) have Rhabdomyolysis
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Ibuprofen when people have Rhabdomyolysis *:
- < 1 month: 83.12 %
- 1 - 6 months: 11.69 %
- 6 - 12 months: 2.6 %
Gender of people who have Rhabdomyolysis when taking Ibuprofen *:
- female: 46.69 %
- male: 53.31 %
Age of people who have Rhabdomyolysis when taking Ibuprofen *:
- 0-1: 1.05 %
- 2-9: 2.32 %
- 10-19: 4.64 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Cholesterol: 58 people, 10.72%
- High Blood Pressure: 47 people, 8.69%
- Depression: 34 people, 6.28%
- Hyperlipidaemia (presence of excess lipids in the blood): 31 people, 5.73%
- Joint Pain: 24 people, 4.44%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Acetaminophen: 37 people, 6.84%
- Lipitor: 37 people, 6.84%
- Lisinopril: 36 people, 6.65%
- Lopid: 33 people, 6.10%
- Furosemide: 32 people, 5.91%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Renal Failure Acute (rapid kidney dysfunction): 121 people, 22.37%
- Blood Creatine Phosphokinase Increased: 58 people, 10.72%
- Intentional Overdose: 44 people, 8.13%
- Metabolic Acidosis (body produces too much acid, or when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body): 39 people, 7.21%
- Weakness: 38 people, 7.02%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
FDA reports used in this study
- Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Rhabdomyolysis while taking Ibuprofen?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Rhabdomyolysis
- Subscribe to monitor Rhabdomyolysis in Ibuprofen
You are not alone:
Ibuprofen has active ingredients of ibuprofen. It is often used in pain. (latest outcomes from Ibuprofen 125,338 users)
Rhabdomyolysis (a condition in which damaged skeletal muscle tissue breaks down) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, hyperlipidaemia, high blood pressure (latest reports from 45,114 Rhabdomyolysis patients).
Drugs that are associated with RhabdomyolysisRhabdomyolysis (2,028 drugs)
Could your condition cause RhabdomyolysisRhabdomyolysis (1,716 conditions)
Ibuprofen side effects
- Ibuprofen side effects (120,126 reports)
Browse all side effects of Ibuprofena b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Moslim MA, Sodeman TC, Nawras AT, "A Case of Suggested Ibuprofen-Induced Acute Pancreatitis", American journal of therapeutics, 2016 Nov .
What would happen?
Recent general studies
- Will you have Hepatic Enzyme Increased with Levothyroxine Sodium? - 2 seconds ago
- Will you have Red Eyes with Phentermine? - 2 seconds ago
- Will you have Keratoconjunctivitis with Hydrastis Canadensis? - 6 seconds ago
- Will you have Conditions Associated With Jaundice with Advair Diskus 250/50? - 13 seconds ago
- Will you have Dehydration with Augmentin? - 14 seconds ago
Recent personal studies
- A study for a 32 year old woman who takes Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D - an hour ago
- A study for a 61 year old man who takes Plavix, Novolin 70/30, Coreg, Aspirin - an hour ago
- Drug comparison of Effexor Xr, Yaz for a 30 year old woman - 2 hours ago
- A study for a 50 year old man who takes Latanoprost - 2 hours ago
- A study for a 44 year old man who takes Trazodone Hydrochloride, Zyprexa, Depakote - 2 hours ago
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.