Kariva and Gallstones - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Gallstones is found among people who take Kariva, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Kariva and have Gallstones. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 378 people who have side effects when taking Kariva from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
378 people reported to have side effects when taking Kariva.
Among them, 7 people (1.85%) have Gallstones.
What is Kariva?
Kariva has active ingredients of desogestrel; ethinyl estradiol. It is often used in birth control. eHealthMe is studying from 515 Kariva users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Gallstones?
Gallstones (stone formation by bile component) is found to be associated with 2,739 drugs and 2,023 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Kariva and Gallstones reports submitted per year:
Time on Kariva when people have Gallstones *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 25 %
- 6 - 12 months: 50 %
- 1 - 2 years: 25 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Gallstones when taking Kariva *:
- female: 100 %
- male: 0.0 %
Age of people who have Gallstones when taking Kariva *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 71.43 %
- 30-39: 14.29 %
- 40-49: 14.29 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Kariva *:
- Yaz: 5 people, 71.43%
- Yasmin: 5 people, 71.43%
- Paxil: 2 people, 28.57%
- Excedrin: 2 people, 28.57%
- Levothyroxine Sodium: 2 people, 28.57%
- Mircette: 2 people, 28.57%
- Norgestimate And Ethinyl Estradiol: 2 people, 28.57%
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo: 2 people, 28.57%
- Albuterol: 2 people, 28.57%
- Tri-Sprintec: 2 people, 28.57%
Common side effects people have besides Gallstones *:
- Emotional Distress: 4 people, 57.14%
- Abdominal Pain: 4 people, 57.14%
- Pain: 4 people, 57.14%
- Cholecystitis Chronic (long lasting infection of gallbladder): 4 people, 57.14%
- Injury: 3 people, 42.86%
- Gallbladder Disorder: 3 people, 42.86%
- Depression: 2 people, 28.57%
- Thrombosis (formation of a blood clot inside a blood vessel): 2 people, 28.57%
- Stress And Anxiety: 2 people, 28.57%
- Abdominal Pain Upper: 2 people, 28.57%
Common conditions people have *:
- Stress And Anxiety: 2 people, 28.57%
- Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development): 2 people, 28.57%
- Heavy Or Prolong Menstrual Bleeding: 2 people, 28.57%
- Headache (pain in head): 2 people, 28.57%
- Asthma: 2 people, 28.57%
- Acne (skin problems that cause pimples): 2 people, 28.57%
- Thyroid Diseases: 1 person, 14.29%
- Premenstrual Syndrome: 1 person, 14.29%
- Pain: 1 person, 14.29%
- Nasopharyngitis (inflammation of the nasopharynx): 1 person, 14.29%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Kariva and have Gallstones?Check whether Gallstones is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
How severe was Gallstones and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of desogestrel; ethinyl estradiol:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Kariva:
- Kariva (515 reports)
Gallstones treatments and more:
- Gallstones (45,900 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Gallstones:
- Gallstones in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Gallstones in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Gallstones in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Gallstones:
- Yasmin: 5,611 reports
- Yaz: 5,016 reports
- Aspirin: 2,291 reports
- Prednisone: 2,220 reports
- Metformin: 2,140 reports
- Humira: 1,886 reports
- Ibu: 1,868 reports
- Ibuprofen: 1,865 reports
- Profen: 1,831 reports
- Methotrexate: 1,686 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Gallstones:
- Gallstones (2,739 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Gallstones:
- Birth control: 3,414 reports
- High blood pressure: 3,234 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 2,737 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 2,269 reports
- Pain: 2,023 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Gallstones:
- Gallstones (2,023 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on desogestrel; ethinyl estradiol (the active ingredients of Kariva) and Kariva (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Amlodipine and Activities Of Daily Living Impaired - 7 seconds ago
- Lunesta and Intervertebral Disc Disorder - 16 seconds ago
- Abnormal Behavior and drugs of ingredients of metaxalone - 18 seconds ago
- Xyzal and Zejula drug interaction - 18 seconds ago
- Celexa and Swelling - 19 seconds ago
- Etodolac and Vicodin drug interaction - 27 seconds ago
- Simvastatin and Muscle Atrophy - 31 seconds ago
- Xyzal and Zegerid drug interaction - 35 seconds ago
- Exelon and Modafinil drug interaction - 45 seconds ago
- Imbruvica and Coq10 drug interaction - 57 seconds ago