Melatonin and Suicidal thoughts - from FDA reports
Suicidal thoughts is found among people who take Melatonin, especially for people who are female, 10-19 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Cymbalta, and have Depression. This review analyzes which people have Suicidal thoughts with Melatonin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 11,039 people who have side effects when taking Melatonin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
11,039 people reported to have side effects when taking Melatonin.
Among them, 194 people (1.76%) have Suicidal thoughts
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Melatonin when people have Suicidal thoughts *:
- < 1 month: 15.38 %
- 1 - 6 months: 46.15 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 7.69 %
- 2 - 5 years: 7.69 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 23.08 %
Gender of people who have Suicidal thoughts when taking Melatonin *:
- female: 55.61 %
- male: 44.39 %
Age of people who have Suicidal thoughts when taking Melatonin *:
- 0-1: 0.65 %
- 2-9: 10.39 %
- 10-19: 24.68 %
- 20-29: 4.55 %
- 30-39: 14.29 %
- 40-49: 13.64 %
- 50-59: 12.34 %
- 60+: 19.48 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Depression: 42 people, 21.65%
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: 33 people, 17.01%
- Stress And Anxiety: 29 people, 14.95%
- Narcolepsy (brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally): 17 people, 8.76%
- Pain: 16 people, 8.25%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Cymbalta: 28 people, 14.43%
- Xyrem: 21 people, 10.82%
- Seroquel: 17 people, 8.76%
- Ambien: 17 people, 8.76%
- Concerta: 16 people, 8.25%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Depression: 47 people, 24.23%
- Stress And Anxiety: 31 people, 15.98%
- Feeling Abnormal: 26 people, 13.40%
- Drug Ineffective: 26 people, 13.40%
- Dizziness: 26 people, 13.40%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Melatonin and have Suicidal thoughts?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Suicidal thoughts
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
Melatonin has active ingredients of melatonin. It is often used in insomnia. (latest outcomes from Melatonin 12,282 users)
Suicidal thoughts has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, pain, stress and anxiety (latest reports from 64,426 Suicidal thoughts patients).
Drugs that are associated with Suicidal thoughtsSuicidal thoughts (2,402 drugs)
Could your condition cause Suicidal thoughtsSuicidal thoughts (2,054 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsSuicidal thoughts and drugs with ingredients of melatonin. (197 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeSuicidal thoughts and Melatonin from FDA and eHealthMe reports (199 reports)
Melatonin side effects
- Melatonin side effects (11,047 reports)
Browse all side effects of Melatonina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Melatonin and have Suicidal Thoughts
- Support group for people who have Suicidal Thoughts
- Support group for people who take Melatonin
Can you answer these questions
- 4 SA since 1985 Experienced relief for 12 years while taking Prozac
- Is it SAFE to take melatonin 2 hours AFTER taking Sulfameth/TMP?
- I take Divalproex seizures, is it ok for me to take Melatonin for sleep? I took it once and got a good nights sleep but im not sure if it will cause more seizures or decrease them.
- I’ve had undiagnosed right ear pain intermittently for some time without any diagnosis obtainable from ENT or medical Doctors. Took 10mg of Melatonin for sleep aid for first time last night. I awoke at 3am with a level 10+ right ear ache. I thought of an ER visit, but laid on my right ear ...
- Recently, I fainted after taking 5mg of melatonin. Did I faint because I took too many mgs. Should I reduce mg or give it up altogether?
You may be interested in these posts
- Love taking melatonin... Smoothes out any bumps in the night so that I can sleep with the pain of arthritis, spondylolisthesis, and scoliosis. But I was having excruciating shoulder pain waking me up which I linked my myself, to the Melatonin. Quit taking it no shoulder pain stay off it for a...
- Before I went to bed I took b12, melatonin and an ondansetron (equivalent to zofran) and now I’m throwing up everything I have eaten :( anyone know how long this will last?
- After taking 5mg of Melatonin for about 3 weeks I developed a case diarrhea that continued for over two weeks. It began on a Sunday after my daughter had just got over a bout with stomach flu. After feeling ill for several days, which I contributed to the stomach flu, I stopped taking the...
- Hello, I've been on Simponi less than a month, and I've been feeling depressed and quick to anger. I also thought about suicide for the first time yesterday since I've been on it.
- After two nights on melatonin my eyes became sensitive to the light and I had pain in one eye
- Will you have Cytotoxic Chemotherapy with Sulfasalazine?
- Will you have Cancer Drug Therapy with Sulfasalazine?
- Will you have Cancer Chemotherapy with Sulfasalazine?
- Will you have Chemotherapy with Sulfasalazine?
- Will you have Vitamin B1 with Arterial Thrombosis Limb?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Sulfasalazine and have Cytotoxic Chemotherapy?
- Support group for people who take Sulfasalazine and have Cancer Drug Therapy?
- Support group for people who take Sulfasalazine and have Cancer Chemotherapy?
- Support group for people who take Sulfasalazine and have Chemotherapy?
- Support group for people who have Arterial Thrombosis Limb and Vitamin B1?
- What to expect when you take Sulfasalazine and have Cytotoxic Chemotherapy?
- What to expect when you take Sulfasalazine and have Cancer Drug Therapy?
- What to expect when you take Sulfasalazine and have Cancer Chemotherapy?
- What to expect when you take Sulfasalazine and have Chemotherapy?
- What to expect when you have Arterial Thrombosis Limb and Vitamin B1?
- A study for a 50 year old man who takes Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Atorvastatin Calcium
- A study for a 51 year old man who takes Prograf, Neupogen
- A study for a 57 year old woman who takes Velcade
- A study for a 48 year old woman who takes Hc, Opdivo, Topamax
- A study for a 37 year old woman who takes Depakote
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.