Mesalamine and Thyroid diseases - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 22,255 people who have side effects when taking Mesalamine. Thyroid diseases is found, especially among people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take Sucralfate and have Abdominal discomfort.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Mesalamine and have Thyroid diseases. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
22,255 people reported to have side effects when taking Mesalamine.
Among them, 15 people (0.07%) have Thyroid diseases.
What is Mesalamine?
Mesalamine has active ingredients of mesalamine. It is used in ulcerative colitis. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 22,520 Mesalamine users.
What is Thyroid diseases?
Thyroid diseases is found to be associated with 2,054 drugs and 1,539 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 66,572 people who have Thyroid diseases.
Number of Mesalamine and Thyroid diseases reports submitted per year:
Time on Mesalamine when people have Thyroid diseases *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 100 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Thyroid diseases when taking Mesalamine *:
- female: 86.67 %
- male: 13.33 %
Age of people who have Thyroid diseases when taking Mesalamine *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 16.67 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 25.0 %
- 50-59: 33.33 %
- 60+: 25.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Mesalamine *:
- Xarelto: 3 people, 20.00%
- Omeprazole: 3 people, 20.00%
- Elmiron: 3 people, 20.00%
- Methylprednisolone: 3 people, 20.00%
- Myrbetriq: 3 people, 20.00%
- Acetaminophen: 3 people, 20.00%
- Sucralfate: 3 people, 20.00%
- Remicade: 2 people, 13.33%
- Magnesium: 2 people, 13.33%
- Ativan: 2 people, 13.33%
Common side effects people have besides Thyroid diseases *:
- The Flu (the flu is caused by an influenza virus): 5 people, 33.33%
- Dizziness: 4 people, 26.67%
- Stress And Anxiety: 4 people, 26.67%
- Diarrhea: 4 people, 26.67%
- High Blood Pressure: 4 people, 26.67%
- Poor Venous Access: 3 people, 20.00%
- Infusion Site Swelling: 3 people, 20.00%
- Discomfort: 3 people, 20.00%
- Infusion Site Pain: 3 people, 20.00%
- Infusion Site Bruising: 3 people, 20.00%
Common conditions people have *:
- Menopause (end of monthly cycles in women): 2 people, 13.33%
- Abdominal Discomfort: 2 people, 13.33%
- Weight Decreased: 1 person, 6.67%
- Stress And Anxiety: 1 person, 6.67%
- Sinusitis (inflammation of sinus): 1 person, 6.67%
- Psoriasis (immune-mediated disease that affects the skin): 1 person, 6.67%
- Liver Disorder (liver diseases): 1 person, 6.67%
- Limb Discomfort (discomfort in leg): 1 person, 6.67%
- High Blood Pressure: 1 person, 6.67%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 1 person, 6.67%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Mesalamine and have Thyroid diseases?Check whether Thyroid diseases is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Jacobsson H, Eriksen J, Karlén P, "Mesalazine-induced renal calculi", The American journal of case reports, 2015 Jan .
Mesalamine side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Mesalamine side effects (22,520 reports)
Thyroid diseases treatments and more:
- Thyroid diseases (66,572 reports)
Common drugs associated with Thyroid diseases:
- Synthroid: 2,354 reports
- Prednisone: 1,296 reports
- Methotrexate: 998 reports
- Aspirin: 976 reports
- Humira: 975 reports
- Lipitor: 858 reports
- Furosemide: 834 reports
- Enbrel: 827 reports
- Levothyroxine sodium: 716 reports
- Omeprazole: 710 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Thyroid diseases:
- Thyroid diseases (2,054 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Thyroid diseases:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 1,690 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 1,509 reports
- High blood pressure: 1,257 reports
- Hypothyroidism: 906 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Thyroid diseases:
- Thyroid diseases (1,539 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on mesalamine (the active ingredients of Mesalamine) and Mesalamine (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Cilostazol and Azacitidine drug interaction - 16 seconds ago
- Metronidazole and Marijuana drug interaction - 17 seconds ago
- Atorvastatin Calcium and Librax drug interaction - 19 seconds ago
- Indomethacin and Apidra drug interaction - 23 seconds ago
- Finasteride and Dyskinesia Aggravated - 48 seconds ago
- Desyrel and Phenazopyridine Hcl drug interaction - 59 seconds ago
- Vancomycin Hydrochloride and Zanaflex drug interaction - a minute ago
- Symbicort and Motion Sickness - a minute ago
- Sucralfate and Elmiron drug interaction - a minute ago
- Ranolazine and Lubiprostone drug interaction - 2 minutes ago