Metformin and Abdominal pain - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Abdominal pain is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Metformin and have Abdominal pain. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 395,495 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
395,495 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 8,314 people (2.1%) have Abdominal pain.
What is Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. eHealthMe is studying from 406,224 Metformin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Abdominal pain?
Abdominal pain is found to be associated with 4,840 drugs and 5,086 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Metformin and Abdominal pain reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Abdominal pain *:
Gender of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Metformin*:
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Metformin *:
Common drugs people take besides Metformin *:
Common side effects people have besides Abdominal pain *:
Common conditions people have *:
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Metformin and have Abdominal pain?Check whether Abdominal pain is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- T.Audi Yanto, I.Huang, F.Nathania Kosasih, NP Hardjo Lugito, "Nightmare and Abnormal Dreams: Rare Side Effects of Metformin?", Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2018 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- Bhuvan KC, ALrasheedy AA, Ibrahim MI, "A case report from Nepalese community pharmacy on levofloxacin induced severe abdominal pain", Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 2013 Jul .
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
How severe was Abdominal pain and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of metformin hydrochloride:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Metformin:
- Metformin (406,224 reports)
Common Metformin side effects:
- Diarrhea: 25,489 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 22,049 reports
- Drug ineffective: 20,041 reports
- Nausea and vomiting: 17,857 reports
- Weight decreased: 17,682 reports
- Breathing difficulty: 16,617 reports
Browse all side effects of Metformin:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Abdominal pain treatments and more:
- Abdominal pain (246,212 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Abdominal pain:
- Abdominal pain in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Abdominal pain in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Abdominal pain in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Abdominal pain:
- Prednisone: 16,043 reports
- Humira: 15,782 reports
- Methotrexate: 9,997 reports
- Aspirin: 9,343 reports
- Omeprazole: 8,436 reports
- Metformin: 8,314 reports
- Mirena: 7,903 reports
- Pantoprazole: 6,761 reports
- Synthroid: 6,079 reports
- Profen: 5,923 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Abdominal pain:
- Abdominal pain (4,840 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Abdominal pain:
- Crohn's disease: 18,846 reports
- Birth control: 11,549 reports
- High blood pressure: 10,348 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 9,807 reports
- Pain: 8,939 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Abdominal pain:
- Abdominal pain (5,086 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on metformin hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Metformin) and Metformin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Darvon and Bundle Branch Block Right - 2 seconds ago
- Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters and Zidovudine drug interaction - 5 seconds ago
- Keppra Xr and Erythema Of Eyelid - 33 seconds ago
- Cosentyx and Total Cholesterol/Hdl Ratio Decreased - 35 seconds ago
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Losartan Potassium, how severe and when it was recovered? - 54 seconds ago
- Vexol and Blindness - 55 seconds ago
- Thorazine and Small Intestinal Obstruction - 56 seconds ago
- Arimidex and Pancreatitis - a minute ago
- Claritin and Fluconazole drug interaction - a minute ago
- Vesicare and Doxycycline Hyclate drug interaction - a minute ago