Metformin and Asthma - from FDA reports
Asthma is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Singulair, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Asthma with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 199,020 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 07, 2017
199,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 1,031 people (0.52%) have Asthma
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Asthma *:
- < 1 month: 27.27 %
- 1 - 6 months: 27.27 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 9.09 %
- 2 - 5 years: 9.09 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 27.27 %
Gender of people who have Asthma when taking Metformin *:
- female: 76.42 %
- male: 23.58 %
Age of people who have Asthma when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.67 %
- 20-29: 2.0 %
- 30-39: 6.93 %
- 40-49: 16.13 %
- 50-59: 31.73 %
- 60+: 42.53 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (117 people, 11.35%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (82 people, 7.95%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (67 people, 6.50%)
- Depression (66 people, 6.40%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (65 people, 6.30%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Singulair (198 people, 19.20%)
- Aspirin (144 people, 13.97%)
- Lipitor (129 people, 12.51%)
- Lisinopril (124 people, 12.03%)
- Advair Diskus 100/50 (124 people, 12.03%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Breathing Difficulty (268 people, 25.99%)
- Chest Pain (175 people, 16.97%)
- Pneumonia (171 people, 16.59%)
- Cough (164 people, 15.91%)
- High Blood Pressure (156 people, 15.13%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Asthma when taking Metformin?
- Check symptoms - is asthma caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsAsthma and drugs with ingredients of metformin hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeAsthma and Metformin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 206,749 users)
Asthma has been reported by people with asthma, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 138,436 Asthma patients).
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with AsthmaAsthma
Could your condition cause AsthmaAsthma
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Hello, My name is Nikki and I have dealt with severe asthma since I was 7 years old (I'm now 30). I have had a variety of prescriptions over the years, including albutoral, both vials for nebulizer and inhaler, serevent, flovent, advair, and steroids such as Prednisone. I never noticed it as a ...
My husband is in the early stages of what is probably Lewy Body Dementia (he has had REM sleep disorder for several years and is starting to show Parkinsonian type muscle tremors, trouble swallowing, etc.). There are interesting studies out there about the potential mitigative impacts of ...
10 years ago I had two stents put in. Was initially put on statin and Plavix. Did not handle statin well so quit it and got more serious with diet. Hung in there with Plavix for 6 months but didn't it. Was told I could go off of it. No problems and lipids were reducing each year to near ...