Will you have Diabetes with Metformin - from FDA reports
Diabetes is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Seroquel, and have High blood pressure. This study is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 251,352 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
eHealthMe is a health data analysis company based in Mountain View, California. eHealthMe monitors and analyzes the outcomes of drugs and supplements that are currently on the market. The results are readily available to health care professionals and consumers.
eHealthMe has released original studies on market drugs and worked with leading universities and institutions such as IBM, London Health Science Centre, Mayo Clinic, Northwestern University and VA. eHealthMe studies have now been referenced in over 500 peer-reviewed medical publications.
How we gather our data?
Healthcare data is obtained from a number of sources including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This information is aggregated and used to produce personalized reports that patients can reference.
The information that eHealthMe collects includes:
- Side effects (including severity and how people recover from them)
- Associated conditions or symptoms
- Drug effectiveness
- Demographic data regarding drug use
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on metformin hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Metformin) and Metformin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Synonyms of Diabetes are also considered in the study.
What is Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 259,096 users)
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, bipolar disorder, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 328,603 Diabetes patients).
How to use the study?
Patients can bring a copy of the report to their healthcare provider to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood. It is recommended that patients use the information presented as a part of a broader decision-making process.
251,352 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 4,319 people (1.72%) have Diabetes
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Diabetes *:
- < 1 month: 21.19 %
- 1 - 6 months: 25.42 %
- 6 - 12 months: 8.47 %
- 1 - 2 years: 10.17 %
- 2 - 5 years: 19.49 %
- 5 - 10 years: 8.47 %
- 10+ years: 6.78 %
Gender of people who have Diabetes when taking Metformin *:
- female: 59.02 %
- male: 40.98 %
Age of people who have Diabetes when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.09 %
- 2-9: 0.16 %
- 10-19: 0.63 %
- 20-29: 2.28 %
- 30-39: 8.16 %
- 40-49: 19.51 %
- 50-59: 28.39 %
- 60+: 40.78 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure: 661 people, 15.30%
- Depression: 574 people, 13.29%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 504 people, 11.67%
- Stress And Anxiety: 321 people, 7.43%
- Pain: 294 people, 6.81%
- Bipolar Disorder (mood disorder): 274 people, 6.34%
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints): 261 people, 6.04%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 249 people, 5.77%
- Sleep Disorder: 226 people, 5.23%
- Schizophrenia (a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes): 225 people, 5.21%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Seroquel: 642 people, 14.86%
- Lipitor: 517 people, 11.97%
- Aspirin: 446 people, 10.33%
- Lisinopril: 420 people, 9.72%
- Nexium: 388 people, 8.98%
- Lantus: 312 people, 7.22%
- Crestor: 308 people, 7.13%
- Simvastatin: 292 people, 6.76%
- Lyrica: 277 people, 6.41%
- Zyprexa: 252 people, 5.83%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure: 924 people, 21.39%
- Pain: 516 people, 11.95%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 480 people, 11.11%
- Breathing Difficulty: 448 people, 10.37%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 444 people, 10.28%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 410 people, 9.49%
- Stress And Anxiety: 375 people, 8.68%
- Weight Increased: 362 people, 8.38%
- Drug Ineffective: 359 people, 8.31%
- Dizziness: 357 people, 8.27%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you have Diabetes while taking Metformin?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Diabetes
- Subscribe to monitor Diabetes in Metformin
- Subscribe to monitor Metformin
You are not alone, use our "Ginger Health" app to:
- connect with people like you who take Metformin and have Diabetes
- use your healthcare experience to help people like you, and be rewarded
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- ŽUPANIĆ KRMEK DU, BRAJKOVIĆ I, BEKIĆ D, KRNIĆ A, JURKOVIĆ P, PAVLOVIĆ T, "CALCIFIED DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN A PATIENT WITH RECURRENT DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS AND SARCOIDOSIS", Acta Medica Croatica, 2014 Mar .
- Lee IS, Kim KS, Kim KH, Park J, Jeong HS, Kim Y, Na YC, Chung WS, Ahn KS, Lee SG, Um JY, "Antihyperglycemic and Antiobesity Effects of JAL2 on db/db Mice", Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2016 Mar .
Drugs that are associated with DiabetesDiabetes (2,571 drugs)
Could your condition cause DiabetesDiabetes (2,208 conditions)
Metformin side effects
- Metformin side effects (251,434 reports)
Browse side effects by gender and age
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
What would happen?
FDA reports used in this study
- Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Recent general studies
- Amoxicillin and Increlex drug interaction - now
- Will you have Hyperthermia with Tora? - now
- Will you have Heat Stroke with Tora? - now
- Raltegravir and Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride drug interaction - now
- Will you have Elevated Temperature with Tora? - now
- Will you have Body Overheating with Tora? - now
- Will you have Fever with Tora? - now
- Will you have Transvestism with Epilepsy? - 7 seconds ago
- Will you have Choledocholithiasis with Anxiety? - 10 seconds ago
- Will you have Gallstone In The Bile Duct with Anxiety? - 10 seconds ago
Recent personal studies
- A study for a 65 year old woman who takes Letrozole - 30 minutes ago
- A study for a 32 year old man who takes Remeron - 38 minutes ago
- A study for a 72 year old man who takes Flomax - 43 minutes ago
- A study for a 46 year old woman who takes Iron Dextran, Miralax - 3 hours ago
- A study for a 46 year old woman who takes Miralax - 3 hours ago
- A study for a 32 year old man who takes Sustanon - 12 hours ago
- A study for a 32 year old man who takes Lamictal, Testosterone - 12 hours ago
- A study for a 32 year old man who takes Lamictal - 13 hours ago
- A study for a 73 year old woman who takes Magnesium Carbonate - 13 hours ago
- A study for a 71 year old woman who takes Topiramate - 13 hours ago
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.