Metformin and Diverticulitis - from FDA reports
Diverticulitis is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Diverticulitis with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 199,020 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 21, 2017
199,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 418 people (0.21%) have Diverticulitis
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Diverticulitis *:
- < 1 month: 16.67 %
- 1 - 6 months: 33.33 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 16.67 %
- 5 - 10 years: 16.67 %
- 10+ years: 16.67 %
Gender of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Metformin *:
- female: 61.19 %
- male: 38.81 %
Age of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.29 %
- 30-39: 0.59 %
- 40-49: 12.35 %
- 50-59: 25.0 %
- 60+: 61.76 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (68 people, 16.27%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (57 people, 13.64%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (38 people, 9.09%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (31 people, 7.42%)
- Multiple Myeloma (26 people, 6.22%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aspirin (62 people, 14.83%)
- Simvastatin (50 people, 11.96%)
- Lantus (50 people, 11.96%)
- Lisinopril (42 people, 10.05%)
- Lipitor (42 people, 10.05%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Diarrhea (79 people, 18.90%)
- Nausea (76 people, 18.18%)
- Dizziness (60 people, 14.35%)
- High Blood Pressure (59 people, 14.11%)
- Pain (58 people, 13.88%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Diverticulitis when taking Metformin?
- Check symptoms - is diverticulitis caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsDiverticulitis and drugs with ingredients of metformin hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeDiverticulitis and Metformin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 206,753 users)
Diverticulitis (digestive disease which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) within the bowel wall) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma (latest reports from 16,264 Diverticulitis patients).
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with DiverticulitisDiverticulitis
Could your condition cause DiverticulitisDiverticulitis
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- ŽUPANIĆ KRMEK DU, BRAJKOVIĆ I, BEKIĆ D, KRNIĆ A, JURKOVIĆ P, PAVLOVIĆ T, "CALCIFIED DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN A PATIENT WITH RECURRENT DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS AND SARCOIDOSIS", Acta Medica Croatica, 2014 Mar .
- Lee IS, Kim KS, Kim KH, Park J, Jeong HS, Kim Y, Na YC, Chung WS, Ahn KS, Lee SG, Um JY, "Antihyperglycemic and Antiobesity Effects of JAL2 on db/db Mice", Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2016 Mar .
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Just posting because I have higher blood calcium and on Metphormin , Amlodipine, Valsartan, and Crestor and baby aspirin. Ran across this info and am very happy to find out my suspicions are true. You can't stay on these drugs for years and not have side effects. Also found thru blood panel that ...
After taking Fluorourcil for a precancer on my face (only for 3 days) I developed shingles and now I believe diverticulitis. I am a 63 year old female who is beyond frustrated and horrified by this! Typically I avoid all medication, I should never have taken this drug! Regretful!!!
User posts to the study
I am type 2 and since taking Metformin have developed gout. I'm unable to take allopurinol ands since u have no insurance, don't qualify for TennCare and I'm to poor for ObamaCare, I don't have another option. The other med is a prescription that costs over $350 a month. My gout flair ups have ...
Hello. I started taking Glucophage, 500 mg ER at dinner and now I take it at breakfast and dinner. NOW I have blood pressure reading around 167/99!!! I have NEVER had high blood pressure!!!.....If I take ill, my pressure will rise; like a bad cold and cough.....but always goes right back ...