Metformin and Flatulence - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Flatulence is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Metformin and have Flatulence. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 395,495 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
395,495 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 2,185 people (0.55%) have Flatulence.
What is Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. eHealthMe is studying from 406,224 Metformin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Flatulence?
Flatulence (flatus expelled through the anus) is found to be associated with 2,632 drugs and 1,863 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Metformin and Flatulence reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Flatulence *:
Gender of people who have Flatulence when taking Metformin*:
Age of people who have Flatulence when taking Metformin *:
Common drugs people take besides Metformin *:
Common side effects people have besides Flatulence *:
Common conditions people have *:
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Metformin and have Flatulence?Check whether Flatulence is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- T.Audi Yanto, I.Huang, F.Nathania Kosasih, NP Hardjo Lugito, "Nightmare and Abnormal Dreams: Rare Side Effects of Metformin?", Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2018 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
How severe was Flatulence and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of metformin hydrochloride:
- Flatulence and drugs with ingredients of metformin hydrochloride (2,393 reports)
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Metformin:
- Metformin (406,224 reports)
Common Metformin side effects:
- Diarrhea: 25,489 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 22,049 reports
- Drug ineffective: 20,041 reports
- Nausea and vomiting: 17,857 reports
- Weight decreased: 17,682 reports
- Breathing difficulty: 16,617 reports
Browse all side effects of Metformin:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Flatulence treatments and more:
- Flatulence (61,500 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Flatulence:
- Flatulence in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Flatulence in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Flatulence in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Flatulence:
- Aspirin: 2,845 reports
- Metformin: 2,185 reports
- Humira: 2,160 reports
- Sandostatin: 2,141 reports
- Prednisone: 2,040 reports
- Omeprazole: 1,993 reports
- Chantix: 1,862 reports
- Sandostatin lar: 1,770 reports
- Alli: 1,759 reports
- Synthroid: 1,700 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Flatulence:
- Flatulence (2,632 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Flatulence:
- High blood pressure: 2,539 reports
- High blood cholesterol: 2,496 reports
- Crohn's disease: 1,971 reports
- Type 2 diabetes: 1,924 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 1,759 reports
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: 1,629 reports
- Quit smoking: 1,528 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Flatulence:
- Flatulence (1,863 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on metformin hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Metformin) and Metformin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Hiccups and Neurotoxicity - now
- Hepatitis C and Head Injury - 2 seconds ago
- Arterial Occlusive Disease and drugs of ingredients of ampicillin sodium; sulbactam sodium - 2 seconds ago
- Northera and Muscle Spasms - 7 seconds ago
- Hernia and Indigestion - 10 seconds ago
- Benicar Hct vs. Zoloft - 12 seconds ago
- Hernia and Head Injury - 12 seconds ago
- Hepatitis and Indigestion - 14 seconds ago
- Vaginal Infection and drugs of ingredients of cod liver oil - 15 seconds ago
- Hepatitis B and Hoarseness Or Changing Voice - 18 seconds ago