Metformin and Pneumonia - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 429,842 people who have side effects when taking Metformin. Pneumonia is found, especially among people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take Aspirin and have High blood pressure.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Metformin and have Pneumonia. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
429,842 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 10,531 people (2.45%) have Pneumonia.
What is Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is used in diabetes. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 440,945 Metformin users.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is found to be associated with 4,215 drugs and 4,553 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 406,674 people who have Pneumonia.
Number of Metformin and Pneumonia reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Pneumonia *:
Gender of people who have Pneumonia when taking Metformin*:
Age of people who have Pneumonia when taking Metformin *:
Common drugs people take besides Metformin *:
Common side effects people have besides Pneumonia *:
Common conditions people have *:
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Metformin and have Pneumonia?Check whether Pneumonia is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- T.Audi Yanto, I.Huang, F.Nathania Kosasih, NP Hardjo Lugito, "Nightmare and Abnormal Dreams: Rare Side Effects of Metformin?", Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2018 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
Metformin side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Metformin side effects (440,945 reports)
Pneumonia treatments and more:
- Pneumonia (406,674 reports)
Common drugs associated with Pneumonia:
- Prednisone: 33,273 reports
- Methotrexate: 24,864 reports
- Aspirin: 20,924 reports
- Revlimid: 17,773 reports
- Humira: 17,423 reports
- Enbrel: 15,037 reports
- Furosemide: 14,189 reports
- Omeprazole: 12,935 reports
- Pantoprazole: 12,008 reports
- Lasix: 11,659 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Pneumonia:
- Pneumonia (4,215 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Pneumonia:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 33,649 reports
- Multiple myeloma: 27,021 reports
- High blood pressure: 15,652 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Pneumonia:
- Pneumonia (4,553 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on metformin hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Metformin) and Metformin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Cosopt and Videx drug interaction - 14 seconds ago
- Zoledronic and Tachypnea - 17 seconds ago
- Brimonidine Tartrate and Growth Of Eyelashes - 35 seconds ago
- Vicodin and Gastritis Erosive - 41 seconds ago
- Betaderm and Dehydration - 47 seconds ago
- Flunisolide and Esgic drug interaction - a minute ago
- Entresto and Myoclonus - a minute ago
- Polymyxin B Sulfate and Vfend drug interaction - a minute ago
- Pristiq and Liver Function Test Abnormal - a minute ago
- Tambocor and Duragesic drug interaction - a minute ago