Metformin and Tongue discoloration - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Tongue discoloration is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Metformin and have Tongue discoloration. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 395,495 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
395,495 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 148 people (0.04%) have Tongue discoloration.
What is Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. eHealthMe is studying from 406,290 Metformin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Tongue discoloration?
Tongue discoloration is found to be associated with 1,228 drugs and 586 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Metformin and Tongue discoloration reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Tongue discoloration *:
Gender of people who have Tongue discoloration when taking Metformin*:
Age of people who have Tongue discoloration when taking Metformin *:
Common drugs people take besides Metformin *:
Common side effects people have besides Tongue discoloration *:
Common conditions people have *:
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Metformin and have Tongue discoloration?Check whether Tongue discoloration is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- T.Audi Yanto, I.Huang, F.Nathania Kosasih, NP Hardjo Lugito, "Nightmare and Abnormal Dreams: Rare Side Effects of Metformin?", Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2018 Jan .
- Al-Hamdy RA, "Assessment of electrolytes and HbA1c in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin and evaluation of guidelines obedience regarding renal impairment", J.Thi-Qar Sci., 2015 Jan .
- Wiwanitkit S, Wiwanitkit V, "Metformin and sleep disorders", Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism, 2012 Jan .
How severe was Tongue discoloration and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of metformin hydrochloride:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Metformin:
- Metformin (406,290 reports)
Common Metformin side effects:
- Diarrhea: 25,489 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 22,049 reports
- Drug ineffective: 20,041 reports
- Nausea and vomiting: 17,857 reports
- Weight decreased: 17,682 reports
- Breathing difficulty: 16,617 reports
Browse all side effects of Metformin:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Tongue discoloration treatments and more:
- Tongue discoloration (4,696 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Tongue discoloration:
- Tongue discoloration in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Tongue discoloration in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Tongue discoloration in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Tongue discoloration:
- Aspirin: 248 reports
- Prednisone: 210 reports
- Humira: 171 reports
- Omeprazole: 170 reports
- Methotrexate: 152 reports
- Spiriva: 148 reports
- Metformin: 148 reports
- Enbrel: 135 reports
- Synthroid: 135 reports
- Nexium: 135 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Tongue discoloration:
- Tongue discoloration (1,228 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Tongue discoloration:
- High blood pressure: 252 reports
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 182 reports
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: 181 reports
- Asthma: 168 reports
- High blood cholesterol: 154 reports
- Depression: 141 reports
- Osteoporosis: 133 reports
- Pain: 132 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 107 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 105 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Tongue discoloration:
- Tongue discoloration (586 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on metformin hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Metformin) and Metformin (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Descovy and Hyponatraemia Aggravated - 14 seconds ago
- Prozac and Atorvastatin Calcium drug interaction - 15 seconds ago
- Sensipar and Hair Loss - 20 seconds ago
- Novorapid and Constipation - 21 seconds ago
- Nexium and Rashes - 21 seconds ago
- Lasix and Cardiac Amyloidosis - 23 seconds ago
- Lasix and Amyloidosis - Senile - 23 seconds ago
- Leucovorin Calcium and Alprazolam drug interaction - 27 seconds ago
- Propranolol Hydrochloride and Gaze Palsy - 37 seconds ago
- Suboxone and Testim drug interaction - 37 seconds ago